F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help figuring out what’s going on from this great community.

I have 2015 3.5 EB SCREW with 122k miles. I get a shudder with a corresponding small rise (50-100)in RPM usually around 1000-2000 RPM when under load (either a small hill or towing). It happens most often in 6th gear but can happen as long as the RPM is in the above range and it’s under a load but not enough to downshift. I was told by a mechanic it was a sign of a pre misfire. I’ve been waiting for a CEL to pop on so I could check the code but nothing. Last year I did have a misfire on cylinder 4 and replaced the ignition coil and all the spark plugs. About 500 miles ago I replaced the coil boots on cylinders 1,2,3,5,6 and spark plugs (gapped at .026). Still having the issue. I’m towing our camper this week (6000lbs ish) and it definitely happens more often.
I have an extra coil on hand just in case it happens while away from home but wondering if it could be something else and if so what? If there’s some confidence it’s coil misfiring I’ll replace all of them. Just want to have some opinions before dropping 300 on one guys comment. Attached is a picture of my OBD sensor set to RPM. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
Shift down. Lugging the engine. The programming is such that it doesn't want to shift down when it should shift down. Lock out gears or shift manually to keep 2k rpm. Lots and lots of posts on these forums with same complaint and no real fix from DIY or Ford. Shift down.

Reactions: TangoMike415

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shift down. Lugging the engine. The programming is such that it doesn't want to shift down when it should shift down. Lock out gears or shift manually to keep 2k rpm. Lots and lots of posts on these forums with same complaint and no real fix from DIY or Ford. Shift down.
Could this be fixed with a tune? I bought the truck last year (April) and I started noticing it around September. I replaced the manifolds with CRP full bore manifolds and the turbo adapters with SPD around July I think. Could that have anything to do with it?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
380 Posts
I have both the CRP manifolds and SPD adapters and I personally noted a difference after a tune. Seemed to run and idle much smoother, like the truck SHOULD have been from the factory.

Just my opinion, but I also agree with Arkansas, before the tune I noted it idled and lugged a lot worse in lower RPM's, thus I locked out gears and addressed it that way after reading multiple threads about it.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have both the CRP manifolds and SPD adapters and I personally noted a difference after a tune. Seemed to run and idle much smoother, like the truck SHOULD have been from the factory.

Just my opinion, but I also agree with Arkansas, before the tune I noted it idled and lugged a lot worse in lower RPM's, thus I locked out gears and addressed it that way after reading multiple threads about it.
I don’t really mind doing the manual shifting when towing but seems kinda crappy I’d have to do it at all times since I live in the mountains and pretty much always have an incline to deal with.

So I have no idea about tunes. How would I tune it? Are there different types you can buy? How do you install them? Where do you buy them.

·
Registered
13 FX2 SCREW
60 Posts
So I have no idea about tunes. How would I tune it? Are there different types you can buy? How do you install them? Where do you buy them.

So you have to buy a tuner first, the actual hand held device that will plug into the trucks obdll port.
Then purchase your "email" tune, download it to your tuner and upload to truck.

The above link can explain a lot more than i.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
380 Posts
Nisco is correct. I would recommend purchasing a tuner from the same place you are going to get your tunes from. The reason for this is that they generally heavily discount tunes in a "bundle" with a tuning device.

I currently use Unleashed Tuning and am beyond happy with the results. I have used several other companies in the past and while I have no complaints, Unleashed has really made this truck not only driveable (the way I feel it should have been from the factory) but also opened up the floodgates and made it a real pleasure to drive.

Just my opinion.

Just know this, a tuning device and tuning is expensive, but it is an investment you will appreciate and feel immediately.

It is in fact one of the first "mods" I would recommend aside from plugs, regular maintenance, etc. Literally the best "bang" for your buck on these engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked and unleashed has a “power package” for $600 that includes the programmer, 2 custom tunes, 6 racing spark plugs, and a 170 thermostat. Seems reasonable. I was thinking of adding a lower threshold thermostat anyway to keep things cooler. I think I’ll start saving the money for that. In the meantime I guess I’ll just manual shift while towing. Makes me feel better at least it’s not the engine shaking itself apart.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
380 Posts
I run a 170 thermostat and OEM plugs properly gapped, along with Torries tunes, I have zero complaints.

Ordered a 3 bar MAP sensor from Unleashed as well, so when I do my 19 turbo swap in the next week or so, he can properly tune for it.

Don't feel pressured to NOT shop around, I am a fan of Unleashed, but I am a huge advocate for getting a deal as well.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
I don’t really mind doing the manual shifting when towing but seems kinda crappy I’d have to do it at all times since I live in the mountains and pretty much always have an incline to deal with.

Never drive a manual ? Less to it than that. I'd actually rather have a 5,6, or the 7 speed manual in the newest Bronco if it was HD enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never drive a manual ? Less to it than that. I'd actually rather have a 5,6, or the 7 speed manual in the newest Bronco if it was HD enough.
I loved driving manual. Had an 85 bronco 2 and 93 ranger that were. Thems were fun to drive. Something is lost for me when I just have to push a button on the gear lever though. Slamming that clutch in and putting it in gear was just so much more fun.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
Ok we agree there lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run a 170 thermostat and OEM plugs properly gapped, along with Torries tunes, I have zero complaints.

Ordered a 3 bar MAP sensor from Unleashed as well, so when I do my 19 turbo swap in the next week or so, he can properly tune for it.

Don't feel pressured to NOT shop around, I am a fan of Unleashed, but I am a huge advocate for getting a deal as well.
What are your plugs gapped to? I’ve read so many different gaps on these forums that it seems the answer is “whatever works for you”. Currently mine are .026 but when I changed them last year I think I gapped to .030. I run oem plugs and coils.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
On these forums, plugs for performance modded 3.5 eco engines are generally recommended to be gapped tighter. Stock engines or nonperformance modded, OEM SP-580 plugs gapped at .030".

Reactions: stereotype one

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
380 Posts
Agree with Ark, however whomever you choose to do your tune may suggest a specific number. Mine are gapped to .028 per Torrie's recommendation and it responds perfectly. I did try the OEM gap, but had issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need some help figuring out what’s going on from this great community.

I have 2015 3.5 EB SCREW with 122k miles. I get a shudder with a corresponding small rise (50-100)in RPM usually around 1000-2000 RPM when under load (either a small hill or towing). It happens most often in 6th gear but can happen as long as the RPM is in the above range and it’s under a load but not enough to downshift. I was told by a mechanic it was a sign of a pre misfire. I’ve been waiting for a CEL to pop on so I could check the code but nothing. Last year I did have a misfire on cylinder 4 and replaced the ignition coil and all the spark plugs. About 500 miles ago I replaced the coil boots on cylinders 1,2,3,5,6 and spark plugs (gapped at .026). Still having the issue. I’m towing our camper this week (6000lbs ish) and it definitely happens more often.
I have an extra coil on hand just in case it happens while away from home but wondering if it could be something else and if so what? If there’s some confidence it’s coil misfiring I’ll replace all of them. Just want to have some opinions before dropping 300 on one guys comment. Attached is a picture of my OBD sensor set to RPM. Thanks everyone.
I had this exact issue. What finally solved it was to clean the three sensors. MAP, Turbo Boost and MAF sensors

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
380 Posts
Great suggestion. Ark why didn’t we think of that

Sent from my mobile phone that I barely understand and have to have my teenage kids show me how to work…is it bad I miss my StarTac?

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
It will help if never been done. Still same issues tho.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
380 Posts
True, but still a great suggestion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts