F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(2017 XLT) As of two monts ago when I shut off the engine there is a solid two second delay where the engine continues running before it powers down. I can completely shut off and remove the key from the ignition and the engine will continue running for an additional two seconds. I'm not an automotive guy, any thoughts as to what could cause this?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
If I’m not mistaken it sounds like a turbo timer to keep oil and coolant flowing through them in order to prevent the bearings from cooking as they spool down with no oil to lubricate them.

We used to out timers on every NA motor we boosted to prevent this.

What all is done to your truck? Are you a one owner or did you purchase it used?

Sent from my mobile phone that I barely understand and have to have my teenage kids show me how to work…is it bad I miss my StarTac?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Agree with SRP unless as I already stated a timer had been previously installed and the connections to the system were not so good…at some point hitting a bump caused them to make contact again etc.

My 15 does not do this, not sure if it could be included in a tune either…it’s plausible but that’s not something I have pursued.

Take a look under the dash on the driver side and see if you see anything out of the ordinary that looks like it doesn’t belong, generally they are small, 2x2 inch boxes with some potentiometers and some status LED’s. Some of the more expensive units have small LCD screens that show menu options etc.

And yes…SRP wins again, no codes? Do you have ForScan?

Sent from my mobile phone that I barely understand and have to have my teenage kids show me how to work…is it bad I miss my StarTac?

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
A Ford master mechanic told me, less than 3 months ago, I should let the engine idle for a full minute before shutting down to cool the turbos. I told him everything I have read states that is not needed because our turbos are oil and water cooled. He kinda got a lil pissy and asked if I would rather believe a Ford master mechanic or the internet. I told him I know that was the case with old turbo tech but was news to me about the ecoboost turbos. He shrugged and said OK your loss feller, got in his CHEVY pickup and drove off.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Buahahaa! Older tech, yes...I did it on every Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Even the last few twin turbo LS motors got that treatment. Did it need it? Maybe not, but because I had done it before (yes all were oil lubricated bearings, not coolant cooled) I did it out of "safety."

I have been wrong so many times I have no problem owning it, but I would still look under the dash and see if there is one...

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
but I would still look under the dash and see if there is one...
Huh ?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Yes...if someone had put one on that truck and improperly installed it using sub-par connectors at which time the connections became loose and then say a speedbump knocked them back into contact and it is now doing its thing...

A turbo timer!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes...if someone had put one on that truck and improperly installed it using sub-par connectors at which time the connections became loose and then say a speedbump knocked them back into contact and it is now doing its thing...

A turbo timer!
I have my CB radio and noise filter wired to the steering column. I had an installer perform the job and I thought it should have been wired to the battery be he insisted this way was fine. Could that cause an interference?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Absolutely could.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Matter of fact if it was properly installed you shouldn’t need the noise filter. I imagine it was put in due to the already “dirty” power wherever it was sourced.

There are a lot of components in an 11 meter transceiver (basically any low band or HF or even some cheaper VHF/UHF gear) that can and will cause issues, again, if the unit is not properly installed.

Does this mean that is your issue? Without putting my eyes on it and seeing where it was tapped, grounded, etc. I cannot say.

I would disconnect the power to your radio and noise filter/suppressor and see if that alleviates the issue. At a minimum it is worth a shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts