F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. I'm looking for some advice. I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost with 50,000 miles and I am noticing the engine temp running hot and causing the fans to kick on. I took it to the dealer and they checked for coolant leaks but did not find any. I have noticed that the engine temperature gauge begins to display the current temperature above 226 degrees. Apon accelerating up to highway speeds (80mph in SD) and after cresting a hill the temperature gauge reads 230-236 degrees. It usually disappears after 30-60 seconds however, after getting off the highway I can hear the fans blowing full blast. I only notice the temperature reading up in the 230's after accelerating to 80 mph or after cresting a hill. This happens regardless of having the AC or heat on and I am not toeing anything. This is my first ford truck and I am not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong. Any ideas on what is going on?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the flaps are open fully?

Debris in the fins blocking air flow?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
You are the second fella reporting these Temps over 220 while running empty. (not towing)

The other guy has been fairly tenacious in recording the parameters VS speeds, gear, boost, etc

I think he's just about fed up enough to address a possible thermostat and/or water pump issue. You might do a search and follow that thread too?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Don't the new trucks after 14 have those louvers in front of the rad that are controlled by the "computer"?? That would be the first thing I'd be getting rid of... ha, ha... :) Even if they are working as "programmed"... Why would you ever want to reduce airflow thru the rad??? Oh, that's right... To reduce climate change... Which has been occurring over the last couple of million years long before any of us humans was even a single cell thingy.. Or that teenage gal from where ever that says we are killing her generation... ha, ha.... Mitch

Reactions: ndtguy

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I’m hammer down in my 18 3.5 on the interstate I can hit 230 .
There are a few shallow grades that take me to 8-9 LBS . When I crest the hill and back off the temp numbers will appear .

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
"Hammer down" on my 18 will QUICKLY turn into 100+mph.
Since I'm not willing, I'm unable to get those Temps when I'm not towing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"Hammer down" on my 18 will QUICKLY turn into 100+mph.
Since I'm not willing, I'm unable to get those Temps when I'm not towing.

I understand that . I was referring to 80-85 mph
I should have been more clear

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been suffering hot temps for a while as well.
Last fall I installed the 170 deg t-stat and today I towed for the first time up steep grades.
Never got over 214 where historically that same hill I would touch 235 super easy

However, I don't attribute all of the drop to the t-stat.
I learned that if I manually shift down to 3rd at the base of the hill and hold the rpms about 4300 it stays cool.
At that load/rpm I'm running a little less boost.
I also installed EGT probes in both manifolds last time they warped and before the rpm drop it would run 1700 deg on this same hill.
At the above mentioned load/rpm it stays about 1400 +/-.

Let's see what happens when it's 100 deg out instead of the 50 it was today.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Not only does it lower boost, but higher RPMs circulates the coolant more as well. This approach has worked well for me, however, a few times I was caught working the transmission too hard. Especially if it's a gradual, but very long grade. So do what you must to keep the motor cool, but definitely keep an eye on your transmission temp.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not only does it lower boost, but higher RPMs circulates the coolant more as well. This approach has worked well for me, however, a few times I was caught working the transmission too hard. Especially if it's a gradual, but very long grade. So do what you must to keep the motor cool, but definitely keep an eye on your transmission temp.
Good point.
I installed a trans cooler off the 6.0 diesel trucks.
It's 6 times larger.
Damn near the same core dimensions as the radiator.
I'll see if I can find the install pictures.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
The good news about monitoring your tranny Temps while making decisions to keep your ECT's lower during a tough towing situation, is that if you did get the tranny hotter than you are comfortable with, you can just schedule a tranny fluid change.

I know that might sound to some like the opposite of good news, but compared to possibly damaging your motor from overcooked coolant Temps, a tranny flush is no biggie. Even while out on the road.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I haven't had any issues since upgrading to the larger Saudi cooler. It's the perfect compliment to a hot truck. Gives you a crutch to takes things low and slow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey yall. I'm looking for some advice. I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost with 50,000 miles and I am noticing the engine temp running hot and causing the fans to kick on. I took it to the dealer and they checked for coolant leaks but did not find any. I have noticed that the engine temperature gauge begins to display the current temperature above 226 degrees. Apon accelerating up to highway speeds (80mph in SD) and after cresting a hill the temperature gauge reads 230-236 degrees. It usually disappears after 30-60 seconds however, after getting off the highway I can hear the fans blowing full blast. I only notice the temperature reading up in the 230's after accelerating to 80 mph or after cresting a hill. This happens regardless of having the AC or heat on and I am not toeing anything. This is my first ford truck and I am not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong. Any ideas on what is going on?
I am having the same issue. You just described exactly to a tee what mine is doing. So far I've replaced thermo stat, cylinder head temp sensor, intercooler, flushed radiator. Took it to ford dealer he said there was an air bubble. (Purged system). When I picked it up I got 1 mile outta town and it immediately started over heat. I had to drive 40 mph back home. Any ideas?? Water pump isn't leaking so they won't change it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. You just described exactly to a tee what mine is doing. So far I've replaced thermo stat, cylinder head temp sensor, intercooler, flushed radiator. Took it to ford dealer he said there was an air bubble. (Purged system). When I picked it up I got 1 mile outta town and it immediately started over heat. I had to drive 40 mph back home. Any ideas?? Water pump isn't leaking so they won't change it.
Any updates on this. Mine has been in the shop like 6 times for warranty work since I’ve owned it. I’m about to start to do a buy back for this truck. I thought Ford was quality like my past ecoboost were but evidentially they’ve went to crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They have rotted out the radiator, changed thermostat (again). Put a new water pump in, now they are replacing head gasket. This is my first ecoboost and will probably be my last.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
How does one rot out a radiator?
It's an old school term. I'm old enough to have heard it used by my pappy and grandpappy.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
So...flush?
More than a flush. It would be dropped into a tank of chemicals and the bath would dissolve the corrosion internally.

Keep in mind that radiators weren't aluminum back then. So honestly, I don't know what the equivalent procedure today would be. Or if there is an equivalent.

I just googled the term and like many things "southern", we were not pronouncing the proper word correctly. The Word was "rodding"? Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
1 - 20 of 38 Posts