F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
My truck has the same problem as described here. Did not start the overheating till after the second timing chain replacement. Towed a 24ft car trailer over 18,000 miles and never got a high temp. Now towing the trailer empty the temp stay up on the 230-235 range half the time.

The dealer change the water pump and thermostat and on the way home I got the temp spike again. Going back to the dealer again for this.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
My truck has the same problem as described here. Did not start the overheating till after the second timing chain replacement. Towed a 24ft car trailer over 18,000 miles and never got a high temp. Now towing the trailer empty the temp stay up on the 230-235 range half the time.

The dealer change the water pump and thermostat and on the way home I got the temp spike again. Going back to the dealer again for this.
You've had 2 timing chains replaced on your 18 King Ranch?
I just don't get how these 3.5EB motors have such a variance of reliability from one to the next. It's crazy.

There has to be a legitimate explanation for how a modern mass production product can have that kind of disparity.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
More than a flush. It would be dropped into a tank of chemicals and the bath would dissolve the corrosion internally.

Keep in mind that radiators weren't aluminum back then. So honestly, I don't know what the equivalent procedure today would be. Or if there is an equivalent.

I just googled the term and like many things "southern", we were not pronouncing the proper word correctly. The Word was "rodding"? Lol
View attachment 170098

I’d be amazed if the dealer performed this ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
I’d be amazed if the dealer performed this ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed!
That's old school techniques from before the Era of "disposable everything". I mean, softdrinks came in a bottle. :)

These days, a new radiator is often cheaper than the labor to repair the existing one.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,805 Posts
235 shouldn’t be too hot for theae engines.
Is it ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I took it to the dealer they said the oil cooler line was loose. Then said they drove it 70 miles no over heating. I pick it up drove 3 miles when it started over heating. So I took it to an old school mechanic to solve the problem. The radiator was clogged full of debris so he Rodded out the radiator and ended up replacing head gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey yall. I'm looking for some advice. I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost with 50,000 miles and I am noticing the engine temp running hot and causing the fans to kick on. I took it to the dealer and they checked for coolant leaks but did not find any. I have noticed that the engine temperature gauge begins to display the current temperature above 226 degrees. Apon accelerating up to highway speeds (80mph in SD) and after cresting a hill the temperature gauge reads 230-236 degrees. It usually disappears after 30-60 seconds however, after getting off the highway I can hear the fans blowing full blast. I only notice the temperature reading up in the 230's after accelerating to 80 mph or after cresting a hill. This happens regardless of having the AC or heat on and I am not toeing anything. This is my first ford truck and I am not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong. Any ideas on what is going on?

2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO Boost

Outside temperature was 45 F. Called Palmetto Ford in Charleston, SC and the head of the service department called this “normal” 10th Gear at 2,000 RPMs???

I’m going to visit the dealer again and suggest they start by looking to see if the radiator inlet/ outlets are blocked with debris from the radiator.

Sounds like this has been a very common occurrence?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey yall. I'm looking for some advice. I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2017 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost with 50,000 miles and I am noticing the engine temp running hot and causing the fans to kick on. I took it to the dealer and they checked for coolant leaks but did not find any. I have noticed that the engine temperature gauge begins to display the current temperature above 226 degrees. Apon accelerating up to highway speeds (80mph in SD) and after cresting a hill the temperature gauge reads 230-236 degrees. It usually disappears after 30-60 seconds however, after getting off the highway I can hear the fans blowing full blast. I only notice the temperature reading up in the 230's after accelerating to 80 mph or after cresting a hill. This happens regardless of having the AC or heat on and I am not toeing anything. This is my first ford truck and I am not sure if this is normal or if something is wrong. Any ideas on what is going on?
I have the same problem. So far it has a new intercooler, radiator, water pump, thermostat, head gaskets, new turbos. I have disconnected louvers. Still runs hot! It's a 2015 F150 4x4 King Ranch. I'm seriously at my wits end.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,805 Posts
Change out the temp sensor ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been dealing with same issue since September. Started doing it after cam phasers replaced. I've been to 3 dealerships and they are saying it's normal which it is not. My truck never ran this hot prior to the tsb being performed. 4 guys at work have f150 3.5L EcoBoost from 2017 to 2020 and none of their trucks run this hot. Basically your truck needs to actually overheat before Ford will do anything. I plan on borrowing a trailer once it warms up and running it until it overheats. I'm fed up with dealing with it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
View attachment 171748
2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO Boost

Outside temperature was 45 F. Called Palmetto Ford in Charleston, SC and the head of the service department called this “normal” 10th Gear at 2,000 RPMs???

I’m going to visit the dealer again and suggest they start by looking to see if the radiator inlet/ outlets are blocked with debris from the radiator.

Sounds like this has been a very common occurrence?
It never ceases to amaze me what these dealers will call “normal”. I swear they want your engine to blow. Your definitely not crazy, I’ve never seen temps that high just cruising at any ambient temp. Highest temp I’ve ever seen on my NGauge was 227 and that was after wringing out the engine a few times on the highway, I’m talking approaching or exceeding 100mph and turbos screaming along at 21psi. Even 227 had me nervous and I backed off. I’m told they go into limp mode at 250 degrees, anything close to 230’s or higher seems like cutting way too close for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2017 with 3.5 ecoboost. For the first 3 1/2 years, I never saw numbers on my temperature gauge. I have pulled trailers in the middle of summer at 115 degrees Arizona heat with the AC on going up into the mountains and back down to the scorching desert with no temperature gauge numbers. Then 6 months ago, in the wintertime, with no AC and no trailer, and on fairly flat land, the gauge read 226 and went as high as 236.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the water pump. The next day I had to drive to the mountains - no AC and no trailer - and it did the same thing. I called the dealer and they said that was normal. I told him that for 3 1/2 years it never happened and now in the last 6 months it happens all the time. That does not seem normal to me.

So I took it to another dealer and they replaced the thermostat and a hose they said had a pin hole size leak. I took it to the mountains 2 days later, and the same thing. Temperature gauge starts showing numbers up to 236. However, it does not go over 236.

One interesting sidenote, sometimes when I am going up a hill and the temperature starts climbing, as I continue the climb, the temperature starts to go down to the point of having no more numbers show up. I think I am going to give up on this and just wait till my engine melts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2017 with 3.5 ecoboost. For the first 3 1/2 years, I never saw numbers on my temperature gauge. I have pulled trailers in the middle of summer at 115 degrees Arizona heat with the AC on going up into the mountains and back down to the scorching desert with no temperature gauge numbers. Then 6 months ago, in the wintertime, with no AC and no trailer, and on fairly flat land, the gauge read 226 and went as high as 236.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the water pump. The next day I had to drive to the mountains - no AC and no trailer - and it did the same thing. I called the dealer and they said that was normal. I told him that for 3 1/2 years it never happened and now in the last 6 months it happens all the time. That does not seem normal to me.

So I took it to another dealer and they replaced the thermostat and a hose they said had a pin hole size leak. I took it to the mountains 2 days later, and the same thing. Temperature gauge starts showing numbers up to 236. However, it does not go over 236.

One interesting sidenote, sometimes when I am going up a hill and the temperature starts climbing, as I continue the climb, the temperature starts to go down to the point of having no more numbers show up. I think I am going to give up on this and just wait till my engine melts.

Man I feel ya! This has so aggravated to say the least. I'm on Dealership number 4. If they can't find the problem they can buy back the ##$%^& truck!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts