F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Really old-school was to remove the thermostat. Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Often that was worse as the coolant does not spend enough time in the radiator to cool down. I used a stock thermostat when racing my Z28 but pulled out the plug and spring, at that point it was a simple restriction. The modded thermostat was quite cooler running than no thermostat. KM

Reactions: Scott91370

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
Yea, it wasn't really a good thing to do, but wasn't unheard of when an analog car was overheating and the fella needed to drive the car. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: butthead

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2017 with 3.5 ecoboost. For the first 3 1/2 years, I never saw numbers on my temperature gauge. I have pulled trailers in the middle of summer at 115 degrees Arizona heat with the AC on going up into the mountains and back down to the scorching desert with no temperature gauge numbers. Then 6 months ago, in the wintertime, with no AC and no trailer, and on fairly flat land, the gauge read 226 and went as high as 236.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the water pump. The next day I had to drive to the mountains - no AC and no trailer - and it did the same thing. I called the dealer and they said that was normal. I told him that for 3 1/2 years it never happened and now in the last 6 months it happens all the time. That does not seem normal to me.

So I took it to another dealer and they replaced the thermostat and a hose they said had a pin hole size leak. I took it to the mountains 2 days later, and the same thing. Temperature gauge starts showing numbers up to 236. However, it does not go over 236.

One interesting sidenote, sometimes when I am going up a hill and the temperature starts climbing, as I continue the climb, the temperature starts to go down to the point of having no more numbers show up. I think I am going to give up on this and just wait till my engine melts.
Man, you perfectly described my exact situation. 2017 Platinum, 3.5L 4X4, 82,000 miles. Very well cared for. Haven't towed anything in 10 months. Have driven all over SoCal, NorCal, Nevada & Arizona for 3½ years. Tow the boat to the river and several lakes in the summers. Drove to Mobile, AL last autumn and pulled a trailer full of antique furniture all the way home. Not once have I ever seen numbers on the temp gauge until a couple of weeks ago. Anytime it hits 240⁰ or more, the A/C kicks off. The cabin fan still runs, but it's just humid, warmer air. Once I drop below 240⁰, she seems right as rain. I tried running with the heat on full blast for 15 minutes the other evening and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference.
Not looking forward to digging into this. I've checked all the basics (debris, obstructions, malfunctioning louvers, fan operation, etc.) and the only things that I've noticed are the radiator fans run near constant, even while driving at 40+ MPH: and I don't seem to have very much coolant in the upper tank. But I've never seen a drop of coolant underneath this truck and I don't get even the slightest whiff of it when I pop the hood. I'm not saying I don't have a leak, but if I do it's really really really small.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man, you perfectly described my exact situation. 2017 Platinum, 3.5L 4X4, 82,000 miles. Very well cared for. Haven't towed anything in 10 months. Have driven all over SoCal, NorCal, Nevada & Arizona for 3½ years. Tow the boat to the river and several lakes in the summers. Drove to Mobile, AL last autumn and pulled a trailer full of antique furniture all the way home. Not once have I ever seen numbers on the temp gauge until a couple of weeks ago. Anytime it hits 240⁰ or more, the A/C kicks off. The cabin fan still runs, but it's just humid, warmer air. Once I drop below 240⁰, she seems right as rain. I tried running with the heat on full blast for 15 minutes the other evening and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference.
Not looking forward to digging into this. I've checked all the basics (debris, obstructions, malfunctioning louvers, fan operation, etc.) and the only things that I've noticed are the radiator fans run near constant, even while driving at 40+ MPH: and I don't seem to have very much coolant in the upper tank. But I've never seen a drop of coolant underneath this truck and I don't get even the slightest whiff of it when I pop the hood. I'm not saying I don't have a leak, but if I do it's really really really small.
Check out my post. Engine Temperature/ Overheating Do all those things and I would bet that your situation gets resolved. Maybe we should create a sticky at the top of the forum for this situation. I would expect this to be something all of us run into. This is costing many people alot of money replacing radiators and water pumps for no reason or the dealership saying "everything is ok" when it is not.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I agree this should be made into a sticky

·
Registered
33 Posts
Next to last update on the thread. No overheating issues since fix. It works perfectly. No numbers or anything ever. Even going 80 up hill with AC on in 93 degree heat. No more engine idle stumbling, hesitation when motor cold. Fans don’t come on. It just works properly. To me, this is insane there is no TSB for this.

I plan to be towing heavy to Utah in two weeks. I’ll report back on how it does provided I can get my RZR motor rebuilt by then

·
Registered
33 Posts
another update. Drove from eastern KS to Moab, UT on I-70 pulling 9000 lbs. no issues. With the AC in 8th lockout. Got up to 239 only a few times and dropped down to 6th to get more revs and faster exhaust on long roller hills in central KS going 72 mph with a 15 mph headwind. Sure I only got 7 mpg but it was worth it. I ran 91 octane. Additionally up the mountain passes I ran lockout to 6th and can pull 60-65 mph at 6% grade for miles with not even a hint of over 226. Trans temp is fully good.

Again, everything is stock including the thermostat temp.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts