F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had a coolant leak in my 2012 FX4. It has 190,000 miles and has been a great truck. The mechanics said it was from the water pump. I got it replaced and just recently noticed that when going up a grade between 60-70 my engine temperature will read up to 2/3 on the gauge. I got a coolant flush and new spark plugs to see if that would help and it hasn’t. This isn’t when I’m towing and I would think that the temperature shouldn’t be moving that much.

Is this normal or what are some other things that may be causing this?

·
Registered
795 Posts
This could be happening if you still have air in your system from having to drain coolant for that job. I'd go check your coolant level before anything. What could have been full when that job was done could be less now as air comes out. I replaced a turbo recently, which required a coolant dump, and I was adding coolant for days after, a bit at a time.

If you can see your actual temp some other way, it'd be a good idea to try. Those dummy gauges dont represent any actual temps. It's good that you noticed a difference though.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I second the motion of finding a way to monitor actual coolant Temps!

That dash gauge is incredibly "weighted" and if it moves AT ALL, your truck is NOT the temperature that you might be estimating. The scale is not indicative of what it implies.

With these 3.5's, even with no intention of tuning them, I'd invest in some mechanism to monitor their vitals.

However, you've certainly had a good long run with your truck without doing anything I do! :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I second the motion of finding a way to monitor actual coolant Temps!

That dash gauge is incredibly "weighted" and if it moves AT ALL, your truck is NOT the temperature that you might be estimating. The scale is not indicative of what it implies.

With these 3.5's, even with no intention of tuning them, I'd invest in some mechanism to monitor their vitals.

However, you've certainly had a good long run with your truck without doing anything I do! :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This could be happening if you still have air in your system from having to drain coolant for that job. I'd go check your coolant level before anything. What could have been full when that job was done could be less now as air comes out. I replaced a turbo recently, which required a coolant dump, and I was adding coolant for days after, a bit at a time.

If you can see your actual temp some other way, it'd be a good idea to try. Those dummy gauges dont represent any actual temps. It's good that you noticed a difference though.

Would you recommend a 170* thermostat? My coolant level has not moved since I filled it weeks ago. I’ve also noticed my radiator fan running very high multiple times around town.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Would you recommend a 170* thermostat? My coolant level has not moved since I filled it weeks ago. I’ve also noticed my radiator fan running very high multiple times around town.
Can't hurt dude. I run a 160 or 170 Autozone variant in mine. Doesn't touch 200 in the summer, and doesn't hinder anything in the winter time. I live in a cold climate during the winter months. It's a cheap thing to try anyways. You'll notice a difference immediately if it fixes anything for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't hurt dude. I run a 160 or 170 Autozone variant in mine. Doesn't touch 200 in the summer, and doesn't hinder anything in the winter time. I live in a cold climate during the winter months. It's a cheap thing to try anyways. You'll notice a difference immediately if it fixes anything for you.
I’ll try that and see if it helps. Is there anything else that you think could be causing the high coolant temp and fans running hot? Coolant level hasn’t moved since last filled and there are no leaks from what I can tell.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you haven't already swapped out the T-stat, they do go bad, like a battery, or brakes. I'd change it anyways. If you have recently changed it, change it again. It's not out of the realm for something to be defective. It's probably 20 bucks in parts. Might be less at Rockauto er somewhere.

If it were me, i'd just go do it and see what happens with it. Very cheap, low labor job. It's something worth little debate, and more worth checking off the list of variables/possibilities.

If that don't do it, you're on to more troubleshooting. Not sure where you'd go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thing to consider: is the coolant a true 50/50 mix? If it’s more antifreeze than water it will not transfer heat as well as 50/50. More water than antifreeze will reject heat better. Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts