F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I have a 2011 that has a ticking noise that seems to have gotten louder as time has went on. The truck only has 15k on it currently. I just changed the oil with Mobil 1 and no change in the noise. My brother also has a 2011 that he has nosticed the same noise. Could it be the injectors making the noise? I know it's not the fans or the A/C.... I may call the dealer but as we all know I may not get a straight answer from them.... Thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The direct injection on these trucks doee make a ticking noise because it uses extremely high pressure. This noise seems to get louder in cooler temps. If it is the injectors it will get a little quieter when the engine gets to full operating temperature.

SPPD

Reactions: Sub_Elect

·
Registered
873 Posts
The direct injection on these trucks doee make a ticking noise because it uses extremely high pressure. This noise seems to get louder in cooler temps. If it is the injectors it will get a little quieter when the engine gets to full operating temperature. SPPD
+1 ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SPPD and Spyder! Thats what I was leaning towards,I had heard the direct injection was noisier than the older injection systems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought this was either lifters or injectors....was hoping for the latter. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are no lifters. The duratec motors use a bucket which sits directly on the valve. Its a very effcient setup.
lol...so i guess I really only had one to choose from. I haven't touch auto engines since the 80s! Now give me a turbine engine and I'm sure I can still remember how to tear them apart from my Army (helicopters) and Air Force (C-130) days!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I like the ticking noise of my 3.5. When I first bought the truck I spent a long time listening to the engine to get a good memory on how it sounded. I now have 75,000 kms on the engine and it sounds identical to the first day I heard it. When I start it up, I always allow it to settle down to idle after a brief warm up period. Then off I go! Can't wait to get out of warranty so I can get an SSI tuner to tweak the engine. Cheers, Rick.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've had quite a few people comment on how loud it is when I start it to leave work.

I just tell them "it must be on it's way out!" and crack a smile as I drive away.....

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I've had quite a few people comment on how loud it is when I start it to leave work.

I just tell them "it must be on it's way out!" and crack a smile as I drive away.....
I get asked about it from time to time also.

I need to come up with something say...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Well it doesn't help I work with a sea of Chev' guys!

You could tell them it's DA BOMB!

Yeah, I said that..... Just now on the internets....

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Well it doesn't help I work with a sea of Chev' guys!

You could tell them it's DA BOMB!

Yeah, I said that..... Just now on the internets....
Lol, all of my friends love dodge. I have no idea why, but they do..

It could be the timer ticking down till the next dodge asswhoopin it's giving out.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi, I like the ticking noise of my 3.5. When I first bought the truck I spent a long time listening to the engine to get a good memory on how it sounded. I now have 75,000 kms on the engine and it sounds identical to the first day I heard it. When I start it up, I always allow it to settle down to idle after a brief warm up period. Then off I go! Can't wait to get out of warranty so I can get an SSI tuner to tweak the engine. Cheers, Rick.
It's nice to hear the turbos wind up through the exhaust, isn't it?
The ticking noise doesn't bother me either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts