F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced anything like this after doing an oil change?

This has occurred almost every single time that I've changed my oil.

When I go to accelerate moderately, the knock sensor shows high readings, as well as extremely high boost levels.

I thought this would always happen because I usually clean the map sensors when doing an oil change but this time I didn't but it's still doing it.

Any ideas what could cause this by strictly just changing the oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
can you post a log?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just cleaned the map sensor that's located on the top of the intake manifold, as well as the pcv lines, along with a kam reset.

Finally seems to be driving better!

It's just really strange that this always seems to happen after doing an oil change.

I was trying to pay close attention to what was going on when it was happening and the best description I have for it, is the wastegate actuators not functioning smoothly.

I was holding a steady throttle and watched the manifold absolute pressure surge up and down along with the bov opening and closing simultaneously.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize changing oil has nothing to do with this, but what does is what I want to know?

It does this every single time, and I make sure the oil level is within the lines on the stick.

I went back to the stock tune and have been working the turbos through every acceleration scenario possible but it's still acting up.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Changing oil has nothing to do with any of this.
You are right...changing the oil has nothing to do with drivability...what I think happens is when they go to reset electronics. When the technician changes the memory to the computer (resetting oil life indication), then the computer has to relearn things...thus we are experiencing temporary drivability issues

AK4wheeler

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
Is there a certain way to upload the "csv file" in order to post it on here?

I just tried attaching it to my reply put it says it's an incorrect file and won't let me upload it.
All I think you can do is post screenshots of the graph, or upload it to a Google drive document and post the link.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I figured it out...I was trying to save it before downloading it.

This is a datalog using the stock tune, but it was still accelerating erratically.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump!!

So I'm bringing this back up because it's happening again. Just did an oil change...nothing else. But for some damn reason my truck is overboosting when I go to accelerate moderately.

It always does this after an oil change and I have not a clue why this happens.

This time I only put back in 5 qts, putting it right above the low fill mark. I had previously thought maybe it didn't like being full on oil, but it's starting to appear it just doesn't like clean oil.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
355 Posts
The only thing I can think of that could possibly be related is fuel in the oil that is super common in these trucks. If you're not running a catch can, does your oil smell strongly of fuel when you change it? Now, I'm not sure why this would make your truck run differently, usually people report the truck running smoother with a catch can than without... But it's the only thing I can think of that would change besides the oil itself.

I'm assuming you are not disconnecting the battery at any point, just resetting the trip odometer by holding the 'OK' button? Anything else you can tell us about your oil change process outside of changing the filter and oil? Are you removing any charge piping to get at the oil filter? Or doing a KAM reset via your tuner?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing I can think of that could possibly be related is fuel in the oil that is super common in these trucks. If you're not running a catch can, does your oil smell strongly of fuel when you change it? Now, I'm not sure why this would make your truck run differently, usually people report the truck running smoother with a catch can than without... But it's the only thing I can think of that would change besides the oil itself.

I'm assuming you are not disconnecting the battery at any point, just resetting the trip odometer by holding the 'OK' button? Anything else you can tell us about your oil change process outside of changing the filter and oil? Are you removing any charge piping to get at the oil filter? Or doing a KAM reset via your tuner?
I have tried pulling the negative battery cable for a length of time, along with doing kam resets, and even cleaning the map sensors to no avail. This time, I attempted to do nothing except strictly change the oil and it's still doing it.

It's the strangest thing because it will just disappear out of no where until I do another oil change, then it starts up again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One thing i do notice when i change oil is my part throttle knock counts go a tad higher than before the oil change. I run 5 w40 mobile one , Wix filter. Change every 2500 miles.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts