F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Have you always run Platinum oil? Wonder what other guy is running? I run mobile 1 5w40 turbo diesel oil since truck was new .

Attachments

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Well I ran motorcraft oil on the previous change and I believe even the one before that. It didn’t seem to make the problem occur like what it’s doing now, but I don’t think the issue had fully gone away from the oil change prior to that one. So the truck still wasn’t running great but it didn’t seem to get any worse.

At around 5000 miles on the motorcraft oil is when I changed it this past time. And it was running perfect for probably a thousand miles or so before that.

Next oil change I’ll be going back to motorcraft to see if there was indeed a difference or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Well it's that time again!

The truck just turned 60,000 miles so I changed the oil over the weekend with Motorcraft 5w30. Immediately upon driving the knock sensor, spark advance, and oar readings are all showing poor numbers. This time I was on the stock tune prior to doing the oil change so I know it has nothing to do with the tune. Truck is definitely down on power now. This is so aggravating that an oil change alone can cause a vehicle to run so poorly, when is was just running so well.

So strange.
I'm convinced that if we knew exactly what caused it, it would actually make sense. But we don't, so it seems so implausible.

I really want to know.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here's an idea, but I'm no expert. You say the only difference is the oil change. What is the difference between the new oil and the old oil? Perhaps when you change the oil, it has better viscosity than after it's been abused and fuel diluted in the motor for a while. Could this be a flow of oil issue? Perhaps you have a partial clog somewhere, such as the dirty screens on your VCT solenoids. Old oil slips past easily, whereas new oil takes time to work it's way in there? You say it gets better over time, so as the oil get's "broken in" and diluted with fuel a bit, it flows faster. Just a thought.
Have any of you looked into what DNA Dan said here? Sounds like a solid possibility. Are any, or all of you running with a catch can? Is everyone having this issue also running a tune? Have you all switched oil weight at one point? You all need to try to find a common item here besides after an oil change. I’m no expert, but I have a lot of quality assurance background and the best way to find where the bug lives is to find all the commonalities.

2013 F150 XLT 3.5L

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I can remember it doing this even when new so I know it can’t be from clogged orifices.
I’ve only used 5w30 oil, just different brands like Mobil 1 & Pennzoil Platinum, along with Motorcraft of course.

Thinking about this , like i said before i get higher knock readings after an oil change but no erratic acceleration. I wonder if resetting the oil life monitor has anything to do with it ? I usually reset mine after the oil change when i first start to check for oil pressure. Next oil change i won't and i will see if knock readings go up.

Another idea disconnect battery during the oil change , and do a reset . See if that changes anything.

Crazy sh!t

Both my 2013 and 2018 F150's have acted "strange" after an oil change. My deductive reasoning is that the computer has a relearning process and can't tell right away that the fresh oil is new...per se. I changed my oil on Saturday morning and drove like a grandpa on my normal routes and only averaged 18.7 mpg. Since then, while still driving the same routes, I am up to 22.1 mpg. Truck is now also shifting better.

Like I said, I noticed the mpg drop on both of my trucks..not sure if this may have an effect on the OP's acceleration issues but wanted to throw my .02 cents in.

I would bet there is a difference in the way the turbos spin with the new oil. Any bearing turning at 80k rpm is going to be sensitive to the lubricant in it. Whether it’s higher viscosity or different flow, there must be enough difference in intake air flow/pressure for the computer to need to adjust the long term ratios again. That would take some time and drive cycles, I suspect.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
I think the erratic acceleration was due to the resetting of everything when flashing to and from the stock tune on previous oil changes, that was coupled with this current issue.

This past oil change I left everything alone and had it back on the stock tune days before doing it. It doesn’t have the erratic acceleration this time but it’s definitely down on power and all my readings are poor, like wastegate percentage, spark advance, and knock.

Any new updates on this? For the past two oil changes I've had this same problem with erratic acceleration, slight surging, and it seems like turbos are over boosting and the Watergate is dumping alot. It will go away after about 1000 miles of driving.

I've got a five star 93 perf/tow tune, but going back to stop doesn't fix this problem. Only time behind wheel she many miles seems to fix the problem.

I'm still waiting for this very unique thread to make some headway. It has my interest peaked. Strange symptoms for an oil change. There has to be logic in it somewhere

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I will be doing an oil change this weekend , i wont reset oil life monitor , see if that has anything to do with it . I never had the erratic acceleration but my knock reading were always higher after an oil change.

I just changed my oil this past saturday myself thinking it was something the ford dealer was doing. I thought it was the oil monitor so i didnt reset it. I thought it was the tpms cause usually i get a tire rotation. Nope still runs like crap. Knock all over the place. LOR goes from a steady -1.00 to a steady 1.00. Knock goes to 7. It'll take another 2000-3000 miles for it to go away. Its frustrating to say the least. It never used to do it up til a yr or so ago. Now its every oil change.

Only thing i can think of is do a compression check before an oil change and after . See if there is differences.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
My truck is back running flawless again. Only took about a month and a thousand miles but it’s running like a scalded dog currently.

They tend to do that once the oil is diluted to 0.5 molar.

I have a 2014 that does this also and has to go back to the stock tune after every oil change. The knock readings go nuts (+6) and my LOR or OAR maxes out at 1.0. Normal, everyday acceleration becomes erratic, especially on the 1 - 2 shift. It falls on its face in 2nd and after a 1 or 2 sec delay will take off. Going up hills and holding the gas steady (25mph residential) RPMs will fluctuate 100 - 200 rpm and I get lots of surging. Then one day after so many miles on the oil, it all magically disappears and runs great. I put the tune back on and everything is fine until the next oil change.

I've replaced the throttle body, blow off valve, wastegate solenoid, plugs, done many KAM resets, throttle resets, throttle body relearns etc. trying to hunt the issue down. I have never had the strategy code updated by a dealer and thought I would give that a shot next time and let them see if they can figure it out.

IDK
Exactly what mine is doing right now. Fluctuating rpm tons of surging feels like it overboosts between shifts. Im at a total loss of what to do.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.