F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know fuel mileage has been covered over and over. But I have been unable to find a definitive answer on any f150 site for this. So here goes.

I I have a 2012 EB, super crew cab, 6.5' bed, 3.73 gears.

Sometimes I can get 22 mpg on the highway at 68 mph. Then I stop to eat. Get back in. Head down the road, and get 18. On the same day at the same temp! In fact, I drove 180 miles through mountains and got 24.4 with my sct livewire and mpt 91 performance/race tune. Then got to the flat land ( some hills obviously. But not mountains!) and only saw 18.6. 41degrees the whole time.

What the heck....??

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sometimes I can get 22 mpg on the highway at 68 mph. Then I stop to eat. Get back in. Head down the road, and get 18. ...
What the heck....??
What have you been eating?

Kidding, of course. Don't really have an answer for you but I believe turbo motors are more sensitive to temperature. Could that account for some difference?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
First question would be were you on the cruise control? Second is what was the wind direction? Third, when did you reset the instant mileage meter?

Now, lets address the terrain questions.

In the mountains you have long hard pulls up and long coasts down. If the downgrade coasting is for more miles than upward, you'll see phenomenal mileage. Now on moderately hilly terrain the same would apply but the coasting throttle opening is much wider, hence lower mileage compensation.

I run back and forth from central IL to IA somewhat regularly. I'm thrilled if I get 21 on the trip out because the winds are prevailing from the southwest. It hits me on the left front corner of the truck. 20-21 is possible till I hit the IA border where the speed limit goes to 70. I'll drop 1-2 mpg depending on wind but at least 1 due to the difference in terrain. Coming back I'm pulling up hill in IL and usually see 19-20 once crossing the border into IL.

Resetting the instant mileage indicator will usually net you better results at firsth However, as the average stretches out it is more likely to go to the lower numbers and will settle in after a couple hundred miles. If you want to get a quick view under a certain condition you can reset and get a pretty good indication immediately after. Check out the up hil, down hill, mountain grades and especially wind results by doing that. Should go a long way to help you understand the long term indications later on.

I've pretty much quit worrying about mpg since getting used to the quirks Their nature causes them to be very susceptible to changes in loads.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First question would be were you on the cruise control? Second is what was the wind direction? Third, when did you reset the instant mileage meter?

Now, lets address the terrain questions.

In the mountains you have long hard pulls up and long coasts down. If the downgrade coasting is for more miles than upward, you'll see phenomenal mileage. Now on moderately hilly terrain the same would apply but the coasting throttle opening is much wider, hence lower mileage compensation.

I run back and forth from central IL to IA somewhat regularly. I'm thrilled if I get 21 on the trip out because the winds are prevailing from the southwest. It hits me on the left front corner of the truck. 20-21 is possible till I hit the IA border where the speed limit goes to 70. I'll drop 1-2 mpg depending on wind but at least 1 due to the difference in terrain. Coming back I'm pulling up hill in IL and usually see 19-20 once crossing the border into IL.

Resetting the instant mileage indicator will usually net you better results at firsth However, as the average stretches out it is more likely to go to the lower numbers and will settle in after a couple hundred miles. If you want to get a quick view under a certain condition you can reset and get a pretty good indication immediately after. Check out the up hil, down hill, mountain grades and especially wind results by doing that. Should go a long way to help you understand the long term indications later on.

I've pretty much quit worrying about mpg since getting used to the quirks Their nature causes them to be very susceptible to changes in loads.

Hope that helps!
i reset set both odometer a and the I stand mileage before I left town. I drove 350 or so miles and got 18 the whole way. Then I turned around and came back I changed the tune from economy to performance so I reset the trip a but not the instant. Coming down the pass I wasn't surprised to see the mileage go through the roof and settle around 24. What surprised me was that going up the pass I was at 17 according to the instant. Also, after the pass, the instant continued to hover around 25. Even on uphill sections it never got lower than 20. This caused the trip a average to go to 24.4. It was doing great. Then it's like a key cycle reminds it it's a pig and it better not get the EPA rated mileage cuz that would be a sin. And the instant average that I didn't reset in 700 miles dropped to 18.6 after peaking around 19.8 and was still climbing rapidly before lunch. I though maybe I should chock it up to the worst trip computer in history. But I have done the math mysf and the average always matches. It's befuddling.

My my wife took a trip on the stock tune to Salt Lake City. 21.7.

I live in a rural area and I have to drive 100 miles to a walmart. Sometimes I get 20-21 and I'm happy. But on a similar day with similar wind and temperature conditions I get 16.

Im im just puzzled and wondered if it was just me. Kinda looks like it is! Lol

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have had similar situations, and the answer for me always seems to be wind direction and speed. Wind seems to have the largest effect on my mpg.

SPPD

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with SPPD. Wind makes a big difference. With a 10 mph tailwind and flat terrain I get about 20-21 mpg. With a 10 mph headwind over the same route it will drop to 17-18 with 20 mph headwind it's down to 15-16.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also find it to be "cold hearted". Bad mileage until the tranny warms up.
Thats for sure. Cold tranny oil, gear oil in the rear diff, engine oil, and coolant all play a factor. Also, the air fuel ratio richens when the engine is cold to help it warm up faster.

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hah! It's been in the pretty chilly the last few days...and today I saw -8 all the way up to 10. Today's fill-up was 14.55 MPG. I have noticed that if the transmission temps are in the 190s and you make them work a little bit the mileage is a little better. Doesn't make any sense, but it seems to work for me.

Here's how bad my mileage has been the last few:
View attachment 4649

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts