F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe that all the performance exhausts make more power over stock. I have heard reported that our exhaust is basically the 5L parts bin unit.

That being said, turbos benefit by more efficient exhaust performance. They pretty much mute a lot of the bad noise, and the right tuned aftermarket system keeps the rumble, eliminates the drone, and makes the turbo whistle sound like a diesel. Well, a V6 diesel.

I think you just need to be able to live with the sound your buddies exhaust eminates. The turbo sound is something I really enjoy. Cabin drone would suck rocks.

If you do it, post a sound clip!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have been on the fence with doing a aftermarket exhaust myself. The three systems that I was/am the most interested in are all Gibson. The one you are looking at, the rear exit dual, and the dual exit behind the passenger side wheel well. Except I was going to go with the aluminized system down here in the Texas climate.

Problem is that I, like you am having a problem finding a sound bite that I can listen to and sure don't want to end up sounding like a little import rattle can exhaust nor do I want any cabin drone.

FWIW: The best price I have found is from MVP Motorsports.

·
Registered
565 Posts
has anyone noticed their turbos getting louder from just normal driving it seem like my truck seem to whistle a lot louder now with 3000 miles then it did when i rolled of the lot same with the exhaust

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Bad comparison but since I tuned mine and put intake on, I've noticed a significant increase in induction/turbo noise.

·
Registered
868 Posts
has anyone noticed their turbos getting louder from just normal driving it seem like my truck seem to whistle a lot louder now with 3000 miles then it did when i rolled of the lot same with the exhaust
i think it is pretty normal as they break in and free up some over brand new
if i think about it i drove mine off the lot with 8 miles on it and i didnt even hear the turbos but i hear them alot now and have done nothing to the exhaust

·
Registered
537 Posts
With aftermarket exhaust, a retune is needed to balance everything correct?
NO, All the exhaust is going to do is free up the flow of exhaust and make a little noise in the process. You may pick up a HP or two as well as a little TQ.

I just finished installing the Gibson Cat Back Exhaust dual exit on the passenger side system maybe an hour ago. Sounds good at an idle, pretty good under acceleration, a little raspy under hard acceleration, quite at cruising speed and deceleration. Does it sound like a V8 dual exhaust...NOPE, but it is one of the better Ecoboost exhaust I have heard.

FWIW: It would have been an faster and easier installation with two people, but I was able to do it myself. It helped to be able to air up my AirLift bags to increase clearance between the rear axle and bed of the truck. I also removed the spare tire and tire heat shield to allow for more wiggle room for getting the old exhaust free and the new exhaust in place.

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
How did you manage the removal of the complete exhaust.That's got to weigh 50 pounds.
Actually it may weigh better than that, the lighter weight Gibson has a shipping weight of 59 pounds. I unbolted the lead pipe behind the Y-pipe and then also undid the clamp ahead of the muffler at the resonator pipe connection. So I removed it as a two piece unit. Like I said if you drop the spare tire and spare tire heat shield it frees up a lot of work space and allows for greater wiggle room to move things up and over the rear axle.

It would still go quicker with two people, but this 58 year old ole fart got the job done by himself just fine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Does any one make the old Lightning configuration? Out in Front of the right wheel?
I haven't seen one. Nor do I think I would want one. It was fine on the Lightning being it was a Regular Cab design, that meant that the exhaust exited ahead of the rear wheel well, but also behind the cab by a few feet. On a new Screw that would make the exit too close to the rear of the cab just back of the rear doors, you would think that the drone would be something too great to tolerate for any amount of time. Not to mention the exhaust could get sucked back into the truck via air leaks or windows being lowered.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I did it on a supercab FX4 and it sounded great.I think every Nascar driver would be dead if it sucked back in.
I think Magna flow still makes it for cars.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I did it on a supercab FX4 and it sounded great.I think every Nascar driver would be dead if it sucked back in.
I think Magna flow still makes it for cars.
That's why Nascar drivers now wear air conditioned vented helmets. Plus they don't stay in one place long enough in still calm air under 100 MPH often.

You could might get a muffler shop to custom bend a side exit set up. And it may sound good with a V8, but with the Ecoboost, I would have to pass. But, then that's just me, and I am a little strange at times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts