F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a 4" cat back Flow Master setup on my 2013 F150 Lariat Ecoboost. Pretty sure the one that was put on is a diesel setup. The muffler is freaking HUGE. I am not happy at all with the sound. It sounds like I am driving around a Honda Civic with a big exhaust. It also feels like I have lost some of that lower end torque. I called the shop that installed it and he is talking about putting in another muffler in line with the one that is on there that will act as a resonator. Any thoughts on this?? After reading thru some of the other threads I wish I would have left the stock on and switched out the muffler and tip. As a side note I also installed a K&N CAI.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think that's going to help. I've seen a lot of posts claiming flowmaster hurts power on these trucks. Sadly your best bet may be to pull it and try to sell it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
4" exhaust has been proven to lose a little of your low end TQ. Flowmaster is a loud, attention getting exhaust. They aren't designed for a particular truck. I'd look into this thread...
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...e/493-aftermarket-exhaust-sound-database.html

those exhausts were designed specifically for this engine and are the best current options. Unfortunately, it's VERY difficult to get a good note through all RPMs with the EB engine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
good luck i had a 4 inch afe set up and it was horrible. i put a second muffler in and it sounded better but i still just couldnt get a good sound. Pull it off and put stock back on and sold it with no thought of ever buying another. Ecoboost trucks just dont make good sound.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I ran into the same issue, but with aftermarket D/P's mine was even worse. Your best bet is a MBRP resonator.

It'll only cost 100 bucks for the part, and it'll kill that v-tec sound.

I'll upload a before vid in a second.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

Terrible, just terrible..

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah, I was embarrassed to mash out, but down low the turbos were so loud that it sounded like a diesel.
Not ALL civics sound terrible lmao

Reactions: Pinero61

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't understand why someone would spend 40k on a truck and slap 100 dollar POS muffler on it. Buy a cat back system if you wish to do an exhaust. Although IMO is not worth the money for the very little gains you will receive...

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Don't understand why someone would spend 40k on a truck and slap 100 dollar POS muffler on it. Buy a cat back system if you wish to do an exhaust. Although IMO is not worth the money for the very little gains you will receive...

It really isn't worth it, but some of us just like noise.

The only problem with our trucks is any decent sounding exhaust is close to 1k dollars. The kit I bought was supposed to be a nice kit, all stainless, but that coupled with my down-pipes (also all stainless) was nothing nice. So, instead of cutting my losses and dropping another thousand I decided to fix my existing system.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It really isn't worth it, but some of us just like noise.

The only problem with our trucks is any decent sounding exhaust is close to 1k dollars. The kit I bought was supposed to be a nice kit, all stainless, but that coupled with my down-pipes (also all stainless) was nothing nice. So, instead of cutting my losses and dropping another thousand I decided to fix my existing system.
You found an exhaust for our truck that sounds good? ;). In all honesty I like the sound of the aftermarket y-pipe with the stock exhaust. Still quiet but you can hear the turbo better. Not to mention you will get more hp/TQ with a y-pipe over a cat back.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
You found an exhaust for our truck that sounds good? ;). In all honesty I like the sound of the aftermarket y-pipe with the stock exhaust. Still quiet but you can hear the turbo better. Not to mention you will get more hp/TQ with a y-pipe over a cat back.

Lol it definitely was a long search...

That's also the main reason why a lot of people love the full-race set up. It's quite, and it has much less restriction than the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm just adding a cutout at the Y, keeping all stock exhaust.

any thoughts on this?

the way i look at it, I'm only gonna open dump when WOT.

no great sounding exhaust out there yet anyway. lol

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm just adding a cutout at the Y, keeping all stock exhaust.

any thoughts on this?

the way i look at it, I'm only gonna open dump when WOT.

no great sounding exhaust out there yet anyway. lol
As long as you can keep from leaking it should be fine.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts