F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Long time lurker first time poster here.. I've got a bit of puzzle and I'm looking for any advice or experience you guys might have. 2015 2.7L F150
Both my Catalytic converter and muffler are leaking out of the weeping holes.. the muffler is bulging a bit at the input which I would think to mean something was/is restricting the exhaust. Ford says it may or may not be under warrantee but probably not and will charge me $130/hr for 2 hours to tell me if it is. I have a safety inspection due and it won't pass the way it is.. So should I:
1. weld up the weeping holes and pretend I didn't see the bulging.
2. take out the cat and muffler out and beat the innards out with a crow bar so there's no longer any restrictions
3. Weld up the cat and replace everything behind it.
4. pony up the $2000+ it'll cost to replace everything.
5. take it to Ford to see what they say.
6. Other (?)

I'm pretty cheap so replacing the whole thing sound crazy to me but I also don't want to mess anything else up . what do you guys think? Also any experience getting this stuff replaced under power train warrantee?

Thanks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've never heard of a muffler bulging because of blockage. If it was blocking that much I don't see how the truck would even be running.
I don't understand why condensation dripping is a safety issue since water is produced when exhaust flows through catalytic converters.

1. The weep holes are there to drip condensation out so welding them will cause them to rust from the inside out.
2. How will it pass any inspection without functioning cats, much less run correctly? I guess safety it would.
3. Again, weep holes for a reason.
4. Go aftermarket and spend less for a better product.
5. If they're bad the warranty will at least cover the cats (emissions) but probably not the muffler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.. I should have been more clear, they are leaking exhaust out of the weeping holes not just condensation, so is considered an exhaust leak.

·
Modinstrator
3,111 Posts
Regardless of what is prompting you to look at it I would certainly want to find out why there is a bulge whether it’s under a warranty or not. That isn’t normal and certainly isn’t a positive thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I feel a little silly, but looking at it in the daylight it looks like its not the cat that's leaking its a resonator. I guess I'll just order an aftermarket cat back and be done with it. thanks again for the comments.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
That makes way more sense.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Need pics, there is a small bump on factory muffler factory.

There is weep hole in muffler and yes you will see some soot out of it. It is fine.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I must be missing something. There is a weep hole in these from the factory, why would you not pass safety inspections if the factory puts the weep hole in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Need pics, there is a small bump on factory muffler factory.

There is weep hole in muffler and yes you will see some soot out of it. It is fine.
It's quite possible it is just a factory detail it was dark and raining when I was investigating..

There's a significant amount of exhaust coming out of the holes, not just a bit of soot, then again maybe I'm just paranoid.. . It does rattle like crazy when idling in gear, that's what made me take a look to begin with. If the rain ever lets up I'll take a another look.

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,544 Posts
ok so I feel a little silly, but looking at it in the daylight it looks like its not the cat that's leaking its a resonator. I guess I'll just order an aftermarket cat back and be done with it. thanks again for the comments.
Yes and if ya want a little more sound, leave the resonator off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts