F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 3.5 Ecoboost engine noise (exhaust leak) right front first started cold. There's also clicking noise in right front when accelerating cold. It seems to go away when engine warms. Any thoughts? Truck performs great otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
Warped manifold, likely. Common issue.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. This is the first I've heard of this. It clears rather quickly. A tech could only duplicate it if they kept it overnight and listened to it at first start up. I suspect it's not causing more problems. I have a 2,000 miles trip planned and wasn't planning on repairing it before I leave. The engine has 80,000 miles on it. It's strange that this started about the same time my throttle body went south. I recently replaced it. I suspect the right side exhaust manifold needs to be replaced?
Thanks for your help. I love forums

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
Thanks for your input. This is the first I've heard of this. It clears rather quickly. A tech could only duplicate it if they kept it overnight and listened to it at first start up. I suspect it's not causing more problems. I have a 2,000 miles trip planned and wasn't planning on repairing it before I leave. The engine has 80,000 miles on it. It's strange that this started about the same time my throttle body went south. I recently replaced it. I suspect the right side exhaust manifold needs to be replaced?
Check to see if the rear most stud on the exhaust manifold is snapped off and that will 100% confirm the issue

And it’s an extremely common issue. I would guess that the number of people who have replaced their manifolds on this forum far exceed the people who have not. The fact that it’s not a class action lawsuit really surprises me

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Yup already done my drivers side on my 2011, 1 year later the pass side gave up the ghost. It's a crap job too. Pass side is harder due to A/c comp and starter.

But I drove mine leaking for close to 2 years before it became unbearable lol. Doing the same with this, it's a summer time job for sure.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
About the same amount of mileage my 2013 had when it first started rattling. Mine is actually better than it once was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is a 2013 Limited. It turned very cold, but should warm up to around 60 on Monday. I'll take a look at the rear stud then. It sounds like those aftermarket manifolds improve performance a lot like headers do on non turbo engines. I'm hoping I can put off replacing it till spring. It's amazing how quiet it is as it warms up. Cruising down the highway you can't hear it at all. But stone cold it's very noticeable.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Mine is a 2013 Limited. It turned very cold, but should warm up to around 60 on Monday. I'll take a look at the rear stud then. It sounds like those aftermarket manifolds improve performance a lot like headers do on non turbo engines. I'm hoping I can put off replacing it till spring. It's amazing how quiet it is as it warms up. Cruising down the highway you can't hear it at all. But stone cold it's very noticeable.
I notice mine when you're driving up against a building etc, you can hear the light leak and ticking/chirp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had the angry cricket sound for the last several months. It only seems noticeable when accelerating when cold. The actual exhaust leak noise just start a few weeks ago. I notice it mostly if I remotely start the truck under my carport which is next to our house. For now it's only on the passenger side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts