F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - truck is at the dealer right now for what I am almost certain is the common exhaust manifold leak that comes from studs breaking or manifold warping, etc. It only happens on cold starts and a pretty hard acceleration, like 3/4 throttle. It sounds like chirping, squealing, ticking noises.

Dealer just called me back and said that they believe it's cam phasers. I tried to explain noise to them, and conditions, but you know how that goes as it's difficult to describe and you are never quite sure if they heard the same thing you heard. It's also hard to replicate with them because it only happens on cold start and by time I drive there and it's heated up, it would be gone. I might have cam phaser issue too, but if so, pretty sure it's a different noise than what I am trying to get them to hear.

My question is, is there a TSB somewhere on this issue that I can point them to? I have looked around and can't find one.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Leave it there overnight. That is what I had to do, when I had to prove my manifolds were leaking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leave it there overnight. That is what I had to do, when I had to prove my manifolds were leaking.
Thanks. I left it there monday night, they just started it up today, but I wasn't there so I don't know if what they are hearing is same thing. I told the service advisor it had to be under heavy acceleration, but I am not sure that made it to the actual technician, I would think the cam phaser issue would just be heard mostly at idle.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
The sound you are describing and when it is occurring is consistent when my exhaust manifold (driver side) developed a leak.

The Senior Technician at the Dealership didn't even need to drive my truck. He heard the exhaust leak when the engine was started and just idling.

If they still say "Cam Phasers", consider trying another Ford Dealership, if possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound you are describing and when it is occurring is consistent when my exhaust manifold (driver side) developed a leak.

The Senior Technician at the Dealership didn't even need to drive my truck. He heard the exhaust leak when the engine was started and just idling.

If they still say "Cam Phasers", consider trying another Ford Dealership, if possible.
Thanks. If I leave there without them fixing it to take it to another dealership then they will charge me the $203 diag fee. It’s possible can phasers have something going on to.

But I’m also 95% certain what I am hearing is exhaust manifold leak. I’ve heard other videos and it sounds

Thanks. If I leave there without them fixing it and take it to another dealership then they will charge me the $200 diagnosis fee. It's possible cam phasers have somethign going on to, I don't know, so I may just let them "fix" those.

I'm 95% certain what I am hearing is the exhaust manifold leak, sounds just like these two videos here:
Part of reason I went ahead and took it is it's at 59,250 miles. So I was trying to get it fixed under warranty. More I have read though it looks like it falls under 10 yr/80k emission warranty and so I could just wait for it to get a little worse?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine had the infamous broken stud and it would chirp throughout the drive not just when at cold start. You sure you can't replicate it at any given time? Maybe mine was just louder at that point to be more noticeable.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
They should be able to see the stud on the passenger side with just the hood open and can probably see the one on the drives side from above, but definitely from underneath.

If this is warranty service then I wouldnt say no to some new cam phasers though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They should be able to see the stud on the passenger side with just the hood open and can probably see the one on the drives side from above, but definitely from underneath.

If this is warranty service then I wouldnt say no to some new cam phasers though.
I need to see if I can see the studs myself too, I wish I had taken a better look before I took it in to see if there was one broken.

And I agree on cam phasers, it does make me nervous though to have someone in there tinkering around, never know what kind of mechanic you are going to get, but I suppose if it gets me some new components in there that are known to fail, that's a good thing.

The truck has been tuned for like 500 miles, I put it back to stock before I went in, hopefully they don't get me on that for any reason.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine had the infamous broken stud and it would chirp throughout the drive not just when at cold start. You sure you can't replicate it at any given time? Maybe mine was just louder at that point to be more noticeable.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
I can't get it to do it loudly under any other condition than cold start and heavy throttle. It might be making noise otherwise, like at idle, but so faint I can't hear it, not sure...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I can't get it to do it loudly under any other condition than cold start and heavy throttle. It might be making noise otherwise, like at idle, but so faint I can't hear it, not sure...
Thats kinda how mine is. Seems like if I drive for more than ~5 min I cant get it to do it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Things expand when heated.....

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Thats kinda how mine is. Seems like if I drive for more than ~5 min I cant get it to do it.
Ditto. Both on the original manifold leak, and now it is starting it again.

On the original leak, from the time I first heard it to the time I got it fixed was a few months; the "chirp" got louder and occurred more often. Eventually I could hear it in 2nd and 3rd whenever I gave it some throttle. That was when I finally took it in to be fixed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still haven’t heard back from dealership after I questioned them yesterday on whether we were hearing same noise. He said he would “call me right back”, now it’s 24 hours later...I’ll call them this afternoon if I haven’t heard anything.

My assumption is this all happens due to excessive heat, which I have had problems with while towing. I know every truck has their issues, but this heat management thing seems to be a real problem to me from factory. I don’t understand how the millions of people driving these trucks without a clue don’t have the same problems all of us on the forums do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Ditto. Both on the original manifold leak, and now it is starting it again.

On the original leak, from the time I first heard it to the time I got it fixed was a few months; the "chirp" got louder and occurred more often. Eventually I could hear it in 2nd and 3rd whenever I gave it some throttle. That was when I finally took it in to be fixed.
My first leak happened very suddenly after towing and was very bad. The only way I could get it to stop was back to back full throttle pulls. Otherwise, any normal driving and medium throttle and it would chirp.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
There's a pretty good explanation why literally millions of F150 Ecoboost owners do not experience the cooling issues that some of us have experienced and discussed in great detail.

We are a teeny tiny fraction of a fraction of the overall owners. We are real, of course, but 99+% of the F150 Ecoboosts will NEVER tow an RV up a 6° climb in 100F.

It's all Meaz's fault, as far as I'm concerned. He told us that we could go for it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I still haven’t heard back from dealership after I questioned them yesterday on whether we were hearing same noise. He said he would “call me right back”, now it’s 24 hours later...I’ll call them this afternoon if I haven’t heard anything.

My assumption is this all happens due to excessive heat, which I have had problems with while towing. I know every truck has their issues, but this heat management thing seems to be a real problem to me from factory. I don’t understand how the millions of people driving these trucks without a clue don’t have the same problems all of us on the forums do...

I think a lot of people do have issues.

The manifolds are def a well known issue on the first gen 3.5. Go on the facebook group and there is literally at least one post a day of a dude taking a video of his truck making a chirping sound followed by 50 people commenting, "Manifold. Your stud is broken."

I've also been over on main street in our little town and heard F150's drive by with leaking manifolds. I just shake my head.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's a pretty good explanation why literally millions of F150 Ecoboost owners do not experience the cooling issues that some of us have experienced and discussed in great detail.

We are a teeny tiny fraction of a fraction of the overall owners. We are real, of course, but 99+% of the F150 Ecoboosts will NEVER tow an RV up a 6° climb in 100F.

It's all Meaz's fault, as far as I'm concerned. He told us that we could go for it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I agree most don’t. But way more people do than are on these forums. I see them rolling down the interstate around here all the time in exact same conditions I’m in, which is TN and not 6% grades on the regular. Even if 10% of the owners do this, which I would say is plausible, then how could they not realize there is an issue. Makes no sense to me...I can go get in a naturally aspirated truck with less torque and it might not feel as good but it won’t overheat and break manifold studs or whatever...

I like the ecoboost a lot, this is my second one, and I’m mostly committed to working out the kinks. But just doesn’t make sense to me why it’s acceptable. I wish I had gone gen 2 on this latest purchase. I’ve heard of less issues out of them..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think a lot of people do have issues.

The manifolds are def a well known issue on the first gen 3.5. Go on the facebook group and there is literally at least one post a day of a dude taking a video of his truck making a chirping sound followed by 50 people commenting, "Manifold. Your stud is broken."

I've also been over on main street in our little town and heard F150's drive by with leaking manifolds. I just shake my head.
Nice...

Just makes me crazy that Ford doesn’t figure something out then, or my dealer doesn’t see it enough to believe me. I guess Gen 2 was first answer to figuring it out...

What Facebook group is this?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
My first leak happened very suddenly after towing and was very bad. The only way I could get it to stop was back to back full throttle pulls. Otherwise, any normal driving and medium throttle and it would chirp.
I seldom tow, and the few times I have, they were light. I would estimate that out of my 70K miles, that less than 1,000 were towing. And those were in the early days when I had the truck.

And I never towed anything after I got my first manifold fixed at the 45K mile mark.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I seldom tow, and the few times I have, they were light. I would estimate that out of my 70K miles, that less than 1,000 were towing. And those were in the early days when I had the truck.

And I never towed anything after I got my first manifold fixed at the 45K mile mark.
So do you think it’s related to excessive heat that causes them to break and warp? I guess that’s an obvious yes. But guess that means you are generating heat other ways than towing...which I know is possible too.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts