F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed but I'm in serious debate on which exhaust system to get 4" heartthrob or afe?? I also heard from some people that the 4" afe hurts your gas mileage ... Or is there something else out there I should check out ???

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Those are both good choice. Unfortunately, no one can really say anything to help make the decision. I would look into solo exhaust.

Are you going for sound, performance, or sound and performane?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
3" was proven to be the highest performing exhaust. Solo has 3" dual which is a better sounding exhaust, but has to be dual out the back. Full race has a 3". Corsa is a 3" (my favorite).

The one thing you HAVE to realize is that this is a 6 cylinder and it is going to sound like a 6 cylinder. At low RPMs, it will sound very deep and throaty like a diesel. At higher RPMs, it will start to get the squeal as if it were screaming, "I'm a v6, hear me try to roar."

Highest performance gains will be with a full exhaust (O/R y pipe, downpipe) but you will not pass emissions and your truck with throw a CEL code without a custom tune.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...e/493-aftermarket-exhaust-sound-database.html

this is a gem of a thread... Must read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thank you I live in Idaho no emissions haha but I just bought a 2013 fx4 so I will be using this forum a lot thank you again

·
Registered
118 Posts
MBRP 3in catback is the kit I just bought. You can get it for 270.00 at autoanything.com. Use the code "first15" on checkout. FYI

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
The one thing you HAVE to realize is that this is a 6 cylinder and it is going to sound like a 6 cylinder. At low RPMs, it will sound very deep and throaty like a diesel. At higher RPMs, it will start to get the squeal as if it were screaming, "I'm a v6, hear me try to roar."
And, it is not a 6 cylinder sound that sounds like a BMW, Jaguar, Aston Martin (all high revving inline 6s) or even a Dino Ferrari (a high revving V6). The weird sound, even in the 6 cylinder world, is primarily due to the odd firing order used.

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
868 Posts
i agree these are more like a turbo charged 3 cylinder than a (high revving inline 6)
ODD firing order is an understatement but they did find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I am hoping that over time, I will grow to enjoy the sound ... as much as I enjoy the gas pedal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Let me know how you end up liking that exhaust. I really like the FR but cant justify $700 or $825 with the resonator.
I'll get it Monday and install it Tuesday. I'd like to paint the tip black too

·
Registered
315 Posts
Has anyone installed a Y pipe and kept factory exhaust ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
i just recently had a delivery from Stage 3 of a MBRP 3" dual outlet stainless exhaust but i have not been able to even get it outta the box yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jake, to answer your question, a 4 inch exhaust will garner you a bit more power but you sacrafice low end torque. Your torque will increase a bit but moves further up the RPM scale. Just depends upon where you want your power and how you drive. If you drive a lot in the higher RPM range you will most likely benefit from a 4 inch system. If not a 3 inch (or if duals 2.5 inch) system should be more to your liking. Keep in mind the power you will receive is minimal and it deals more with sound and perhaps a bit improved gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Has anyone done anything with Flowmaster?
I had a Toyota T-100 and put a single stage muffler on and it sounded great.
I went with a single pipe out to a Y pipe and dual tips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a Flowmaster on my Avalanche and I loved it.

Another question (I am not very mechanically inclined. So excuse me if my question sounds dumb), has anyone done straight pipes without the muffler? I have done this on a couple previous Chevy V-8s and it sounded pretty cool. Just not sure how it would sound on the V-6 Ecoboost.

Would removing the muffler have any MPG or performance ramifications either good or bad?

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
It had been done and it came out sounding like ****. Someone posted the video here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have placed a Solo catted stainless downpipe ( which comes with a build in resonator)(plus you keep your stock resonator) on my 2013 King Ranch Ecoboost. The rest of my exhaust is stock. It's basically a drop in. I did it in my driveway on ramps, but using a lift would be easier. No noticeable increase in noise. It seemed to add some power increase. I also have a number of different tunes that I use. (by 5-Star Tuning). I just got a Wagner drop in Intercooler that will go in next week. I may consider an AFE 2 Stage air intake system. That will be about it. I'd like the power increase of the exhaust, but I don't want the noise. Good luck. Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts