·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I heard that it was a stuck BOV.

SPPD

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Damn, I hope nobody was injured. What the hell happened?

·
Registered
589 Posts
That sucks no matter how you look at it... Hopefully we can find out what the cause was...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Too many damn aftermarket add on products I'm sure. I'm going to go out and remove one or two from mine just to play it safe until we have more information!!

Which should I remove first...carpeted dashboard cover, rear tail gate light bar or the mud flaps.

Keep in mind that I don't always think the way that a normal person would.
But, this puts an all new thought into the name "Scorcher" Module. I am in no way suggesting that this was the cause behind the fire, just the irony of a name. Maybe a good time to rename the module something simple like "Boost Enhancement" of course I think I say that used on another product designed for a different purpose all together.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is just nuts.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Acetylene is da bomb.

Sorry. It had to be said. Lol

I've spent a lot of time around torches. Acetylene is one gas you do not want to get careless with.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sounds like the best reason ever!! To tell the wife you need a remote start. In case the truck explodes ill be in the house and not in the truck. That is unless she has insurance $ on you ;)

·
Registered
868 Posts
im sorry but he had to be half retarded to be hauling an acetylene tank in the cab of the truck when the bed was only 2 feet away, if that is what really happened
but i have my doubts by looking at the pic of what was left.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
im sorry but he had to be half retarded to be hauling an acetylene tank in the cab of the truck when the bed was only 2 feet away, if that is what really happened
but i have my doubts by looking at the pic of what was left.
So what's your theory?

I see the chair frames in place, but the roof and doors are blown out/off. Looks like there was a little bit of a fire, but not extensive.
Damage on the bed and hood/fenders seems like the epicenter was in the cab.

A leaking torch/bottle could fill the cab with acetylene, but would there be enough arcing within an electric motor or relay to ignite the gas/oxygen mix?
I realize the components in the trucks aren't NEMA rated for explosive gasses, but that's a lot of gas in a cab to get it to penetrate every cc of available atmosphere in there.

Perhaps it was Murphy's Law, but maybe it was someone going to elaborate extremes to get a door ding fixed.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i dont doubt that an oxidizer can cause such an energetic explosion but at a point an oxidizer alone will not ignite
what i see in the pictures is just my theory
but it looks to me from the photos like the truck had a pressurized oxidizer stored inside the cab that was heated enough to explode
is it possible it sat in the hot sun with the windows up and heated the cab to say 130 degrees or more
for sure the roof is gone and the supports are bulged out
the doors are blown open or off so it was without a doubt an explosion from inside the cab
the car next to it was caved in from the force and the garage doors behind it are also blown in
im thinking that the fire was after the fact that the doors and everything were blown off and then a wire shorted somewhere and started the fire
the car next door and the garage are not melted or burnt

it may have even been Al Queda IED

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think he is the luckiest guy on earth - if he had not used the remote to start the truck...I would be thanking my lucky stars if I where him!

·
Registered
169 Posts
i dont doubt that an oxidizer can cause such an energetic explosion but at a point an oxidizer alone will not ignite
what i see in the pictures is just my theory
but it looks to me from the photos like the truck had a pressurized oxidizer stored inside the cab that was heated enough to explode
is it possible it sat in the hot sun with the windows up and heated the cab to say 130 degrees or more
for sure the roof is gone and the supports are bulged out
the doors are blown open or off so it was without a doubt an explosion from inside the cab
the car next to it was caved in from the force and the garage doors behind it are also blown in
im thinking that the fire was after the fact that the doors and everything were blown off and then a wire shorted somewhere and started the fire
the car next door and the garage are not melted or burnt

it may have even been Al Queda IED
It looks like the center of the blast was from the driver's rear seat floor. The passenger door is still in it's approximate stock position but everything else seems to be blown away from that point.
The tank could have leaked enough into the cab to be ignited while still having enough pressure to blow up like it did. The oxidizer was probably the little O2 that was in the cab. Remember you light an oxyacetylene torch with a simple sparking striker using the acetylene first then add the O2. We were taught that O2 won't ignite, it just makes whatever is already lit burn all the better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good thing he had and used his remote start. I rarely use mine but may try and start using it more. I'm just not use to having one yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts