F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'd like to hear your comments on this, I am buying a Jayco TT with dry weight of 6,500lb (7,500 loaded) at the same time looking to get an F-150 CrewCab 4x4 with EcoBoost. Questions:

- Do I really have to get the Max Trailer Tow or just regular Trailer Tow will be enough? (Mostly towing short trips in the summer 5 to 6 times, maybe one trip a year towing for +500 miles)
- What's the Fuel Economy impact by using Max Trailer Tow vs. regular trailer tow in day-to-day no towing case?

Trailer specs below

Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs)6,495
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs)700
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs)9,250
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs)2,755
Measurements
Exterior Length33' 3"
Exterior Width96"
Exterior Height with A/C134"
Interior Height81"
Queen Bed60 x 74
Double Bunk Bed48 x 80
J-Steel Convertible Sofa42 x 60
Hide-A-Bed Sofa (Optional)46 x 76-1/2
Wheel Base248"
Thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would go max tow. It is not so much the weight you are towing as much as it is the payload capacity of the truck. Remember that 7500 pounds loaded will equal about 900 pounds of tongue weight plus another 100 lbs for the hitch. This 1000 lbs needs to be counted against the truck payload. The max tow will give you a little more GVWR.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
There isn't really going to be a mileage difference in the regular tow and max tow. I would definitely go max tow

·
Registered
76 Posts
I keep hearing these posts about the tongue weight.. the regular super crew that I have with the 3.55 regular tow option should handle 8,200 (gross loaded trailer weight) by my math & I have 1587lb payload.. I am right at 1550 when doing the math in my situation on the payload. Then every dealer I have spoken with (I know they are salesman) has assured me that some of the tongue weight will be distributed to the truck and trailer affecting less tongue weight.
I think max tow is great if you can get it.. but I am looking at similar trailers weight wise and am adding roadmaster active suspension this weekend. I never haul water in my current set up, and wont on the next one.. and will load my new unit light, but plan on finding a dry weight trailer around 6000-6600 lb 28-30 ft and keeping it around 7500lb or less loaded out & making it happen.
I have seen these trucks pulling this and more... I think it will scale out if loaded right. IMO but do your own homework.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
CG Eco, I have an FX4 EB max tow, and my payload is 1725lbs. My trailer has a dry weight (with 2 30lb propane cylinders and battery) of 6600lbs and a loaded weight of 7500lbs. I am within all my weights and it tows fine. I would definitely go with the Max Tow. I also upgraded to LT tires and am going with airbags or RAS in the spring to keep the truck level. Also like Raiderfan1890 said there is no difference in mileage with a max tow vs regular tow truck, and very little between 3:73 and 3:55 gears. Good luck with your search and enjoy your new truck and trailer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same truck you do, and a 30ft Puma TT dry 6700 lbs. I had a 05 5.4L to tow it first, it struggled with it. Now I have a 13 eco with reg tow package. I've already towed several times last year and we plan to take a 1600 mile round trip this year. For what you plan to do I would have to say you'll be just fine. If I had any doubts I would have already traded in that truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks much to everyone, I ended up buying a a slightly heavier trailer with the options dry weight at 7,300 lbs so I decided to go with Max trailer to be in safe side (10,600 lbs)

CG_Eco

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Let us know how she tows!

Boost safe boost hard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good to hear you got the max tow package. It will def. make you feel better. I just picked up my Crossroad Z-1 (~37ft/9400lbs GVWR) and my truck did great towing it. I mean it's getting 9MPG but it can handle the load. Please share how it tows as I'm very curious.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Max tow... if not just for the mirrors only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Thanks much to everyone, I ended up buying a a slightly heavier trailer with the options dry weight at 7,300 lbs so I decided to go with Max trailer to be in safe side (10,600 lbs)"

When you say 10,600 lbs are you saying thats your gross weight of the trailer loaded? I too am looking at buying a travel trailer with a dry weight of 7467 and 9530 gross weight. I am just curious and if so how did it handle when you towed it? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same truck you do, and a 30ft Puma TT dry 6700 lbs. I had a 05 5.4L to tow it first, it struggled with it. Now I have a 13 eco with reg tow package. I've already towed several times last year and we plan to take a 1600 mile round trip this year. For what you plan to do I would have to say you'll be just fine. If I had any doubts I would have already traded in that truck.
I am pretty close to you in weight...I am pulling a 28ft Puma with a dry weight of 5900 lbs...what kind of MPG are you getting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts