F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We've recently added MBRP's XP Cat-Back exhaust on our 2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost project truck. This part features a stainless steel design with a 4" Single Side Exhaust and a 5" Exhaust Tip. It's a tough exhaust system that take anything the road throws at it.

Now, it's time to test it out on the dyno to see what kind of horsepower our new exhaust can make!

See more MBRP products from CJ Pony Parts:
MBRP | CJ Pony Parts

See more F-150 EcoBoost products from CJ Pony Parts:
2011-2014 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Parts | CJ Pony Parts

·
Registered
868 Posts
very nice thanks for sharing that !
i already purchased a 3" MBRP stainless catback for my 2013 but unfortunately i am not impressed with the sound and decided to pull it back off until i find a 3" resonator to place in front of the muffler.
i considered cutting off the head pipe and using the factory resonator over until i found it was only 2-1/2" which i think would defeat the purpose of buying a 3" exhaust kit.

i was torn between the 3" and 4" but i dont plan on doing to many mods other than of course exhaust and tuner with the possibility of an intake some day.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Have you tried looking into a short 3" muffler meant for a Honda civic or something? My buddy installed an aftermarket civic muffler on as his resonator and it cleared up the drone, just something to think about!

·
Registered
868 Posts
these trucks dont need any help sounding ricey !
they do a pretty good job on their own with an open exhaust.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That's why a 3 or 4 muffler is perfect, think about it, Full Race tested the 4" and said it was the equivalent of running no exhaust at all, so getting a 4 inch muffler would not affect the sound, just insulate it from the cab, again just some food for thought!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love to see the 4" exhaust with a tune to see if there is a good gain. Don't think it's a good idea to buy this for a stock ecoboost with increased power coming in later.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Interesting, Lost torque and hp lower, but picked it up on the top.

I don't understand this for a turbo vehicle. If you tow a lot, that is big deal losing that much torque down low.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Interesting, Lost torque and hp lower, but picked it up on the top.

I don't understand this for a turbo vehicle. If you tow a lot, that is big deal losing that much torque down low.
I agree. I wonder if he got those pulls backwards. I could see possibly losing a little up top with the 4" exhaust and small turbos, but it should shine down low with the less restrictive exhaust letting those little turbos spool quicker. Seems odd that the second pull would be with stock exhaust. You would think you would dyno first with stock exhaust, swap exhausts, and then do another pull. Otherwise, they swapped exhausts, did their first pull, then put the stock exhaust back on and did their second pull. That makes no sense to me. And, more torque down low with the 4" would mirror what Full Race showed on their dyno comparisons between open exhaust and 3" (better torque from the larger exhaust down low versus giving up a little on top).

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If the truck was tuned that lose would be gone. Case in point look at the power gains from cutouts with a proper tune.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I agree. I wonder if he got those pulls backwards. I could see possibly losing a little up top with the 4" exhaust and small turbos, but it should shine down low with the less restrictive exhaust letting those little turbos spool quicker. Seems odd that the second pull would be with stock exhaust. You would think you would dyno first with stock exhaust, swap exhausts, and then do another pull. Otherwise, they swapped exhausts, did their first pull, then put the stock exhaust back on and did their second pull. That makes no sense to me. And, more torque down low with the 4" would mirror what Full Race showed on their dyno comparisons between open exhaust and 3" (better torque from the larger exhaust down low versus giving up a little on top).
Exactly, with the exhaust opened up, it should spool the turbos better. I was expecting to see the curves mimic the stock lines, just be above them for more power. It shouldn/t lose power on turbo application.

It looks like you are running the exhaust, do you like it? I've listened to a variety of cat backs, im thinking a resonator of some sort must be used. Every set up without sounds bad on v6.

EDIT- does it have to do with computer learning? KAM reset + driving change that dyno graph?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
With those numbers, I'm guessing that truck was not tuned.

Yes, I like the MBRP 4" catback, but I don't have the resonator. It's weird though, I swear my truck is louder tuned than when it's stock. At idle, you cannot tell it's a V6 (other than it doesn't tick like a V8). Of course, under throttle, it doesn't sound like a V8, but it's not raspy at all. Someone told me the other day riding to lunch that my truck sounded angry. And, he drives a Hemi. I do get a little drone in the cab around 2250 rpm, but it's not obnoxious. I listened to a lot of exhausts before purchasing it, but as you know, vids really can't be used versus hearing an exhaust in person. I pull a fairly heavy TT, and it's not really loud in the cab at highway cruising speed. I've tried to make some vids, but you just can't get the same effect as in person. Here's a couple lame attempts, one a 2nd gear pull and one a first gear pull letting off for traction. The DuraTracs get pretty loud over 80.

http://vid121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/phantomblackgto/101_4960.mp4

http://vid121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/phantomblackgto/101_4961.mp4

·
Registered
206 Posts

Yes, I like the MBRP 4" catback, but I don't have the resonator. It's weird though, I swear my truck is louder tuned than when it's stock. At idle, you cannot tell it's a V6 (other than it doesn't tick like a V8). Of course, under throttle, it doesn't sound like a V8, but it's not raspy at all. Someone told me the other day riding to lunch that my truck sounded angry. And, he drives a Hemi. I do get a little drone in the cab around 2250 rpm, but it's not obnoxious. I listened to a lot of exhausts before purchasing it, but as you know, vids really can't be used versus hearing an exhaust in person. I pull a fairly heavy TT, and it's not really loud in the cab at highway cruising speed. I've tried to make some vids, but you just can't get the same effect as in person. Here's a couple lame attempts, one a 2nd gear pull and one a first gear pull letting off for traction. The DuraTracs get pretty loud over 80.

I also have the 4" MBRP catback. It was too loud and obnoxious for me so I installed a resonator in front of the muffler and now I love it. It is a lot quieter and no more drone!!!:)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I also have the 4" MBRP catback. It was too loud and obnoxious for me so I installed a resonator in front of the muffler and now I love it. It is a lot quieter and no more drone!!!:)
Yes, it's definitely not quiet. But, I came from a Chevy 6.0 with Gibson headers and catback. This thing is quiet compared to that. Although it really wasn't obnoxiously loud pulling my TT, unless you were turning 5000 rpm in 2nd gear climbing a grade, which it did quite often. I will say that 6.0 did not have an easy life, but it was still running strong when I sold it with 150K on the clock. I still miss that truck, but I like 'em on the loud side. This was right before I sold it. 11 years old and 150K miles.

Reactions: 13lariatnewbie

·
Registered
5,493 Posts

Ya definitely sounds like a v6. I don't know what I'll do at this point.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ya definitely sounds like a v6. I don't know what I'll do at this point.
It'll never sound like a V8. Either make it loud or leave it quiet. If the V8 sound is important, trade it in for two more cylinders. I don't think the 5.0 is going to be a noticeable difference 90% of the time, but I do enjoy that 10% of the time towing when the Eco is chugging up a hill at 2500 rpm versus 5000+. And, if I can't here it working, I'm not enjoying it as much.

Reactions: Grim Reaper
1 - 16 of 16 Posts