F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 2018 F150 XLT FX4 2.7EB down to my "retirement" home in NC, about a 2.5 hour drive. I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab down there, SR5 TRD trim, 4.7L 32-valve V8 with 5-speed automatic, 4wd, 103K miles, with 285/70-17s. I took a break from the drive, then drove the Tundra to New Bern, which was about 30-40 minutes away. The inevitable comparisons follow.

In the Tundra, you sit "in" the seat, as opposed to "on" the seat, in the F150. Seems that the seat height, relative to the cabin floor and pedals, is noticeably lower in the Tundra than the F150, thus the feeling of "in" versus "on". Feels less truck-like in the Tundra.

The cabin is smaller in the Tundra, doesn't seem to be by much, but it does feel smaller. Steering wheel doesn't feel as thick around like the F150's, even with a steering wheel cover on it.

Tundra has a smoother ride, not as bumpy as the F150. The Tundra's V8 seems to have almost as much power as the 2.7EB, but has to downshift when you get on it, like for a highway onramp or passing. It pulls pretty strong, didn't have any issues passing folks at 60+ mph. I would say the acceleration is more "leisurely" with the Tundra's V8, the 2.7EB in the F150 seems "quicker" to accelerate. Could be due to the torque curve, the gearing, 10-speed trans, or some combination thereof.

Cabin in the F150 is definitely much nicer than the Tundra's, and that's not just because it's new. Really like the center console shifter in the F150, makes it less truck-like. Like the Sync3 screen as well, but I could replace the Tundra's system with a similar touchscreen, so that might be a wash. The interior in the Tundra is light gray cloth, where the F150's is black, so it's a little brighter in the Tundra. I was looking at the seats in the F150, and was thinking I might look into seeing if a local upholstery shop I've used could remove the seat covers, do some red contrast stitching, maybe add some red piping on those horizontal seams on the seat faces, just to give it some color, and break up that Goth look, lol!

Seeing the trucks like this side-by-side, I have to admit that I like the styling of the Tundra better, especially the bed. The F150's bed is like any other truck out there, just a slab of metal with some wheel arches cut out. The Tundra's step-side bed has some curves to it, definitely looks more stylish to me. My oldest daughter will be moving to the NC house in a few months, and she'll drive the Tundra. I'm keeping the F150 with me up in Newport News.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
I respect your opinion, of course.

But not even close! Lol

The Tundra has Toyota going for it. An engineering pedigree for reliability that I dang near bow to.

But when I get in a truck, I want to drive a truck. That Ford is just way more TRUCK. Even with that amazing tiny little motor. It's still a TRUCK.

But having both sure ain't a bad thing. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I respect your opinion, of course.

But not even close! Lol

The Tundra has Toyota going for it. An engineering pedigree for reliability that I dang near bow to.

But when I get in a truck, I want to drive a truck. That Ford is just way more TRUCK. Even with that amazing tiny little motor. It's still a TRUCK.

But having both sure ain't a bad thing. :)

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind which is built more like a truck, that goes to the F150, hands down! 'Course there's 13 years difference between them too. But I definitely think the new F150, with it's fully-boxed frame, outboard rear shocks, welded thru cross-members, locking rear differential, and of course that wonderful EB motor, certainly answers the question, "which one is more truck-like?".

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
This is just me but the bed of that Toyota is the ugliest thing ever put on a truck.
I have to agree

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
I think the bed on that Toyota is atrocious. Lol. But I know it's all opinion.

The seats in your f150 don't go up and down? Mine do with quite a bit of adjustment.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
That Toyota bed was dangerously close to what was "in style", back then. They were far from the only manufacturer treating the truck bed with..... umm, truck blasphemy?

Glad it was a fad that disappeared!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see that so far no one seems to be a fan of the stepside style of bed, lol! To me, a blind man could've designed the fleetside beds in today's trucks. How hard is it to design a wheel arch from a slab slide of metal, which is exactly what today's fleetside truck beds look like? I think if Ford offered a stepside bed as an option, I would've seriously considered one, just to be different from the millions and millions of fleetside beds out there. Yeah, I know, I'm not being a sheep, or a lemming jumping off a cliff...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I see that so far no one seems to be a fan of the stepside style of bed, lol! To me, a blind man could've designed the fleetside beds in today's trucks. How hard is it to design a wheel arch from a slab slide of metal, which is exactly what today's fleetside truck beds look like? I think if Ford offered a stepside bed as an option, I would've seriously considered one, just to be different from the millions and millions of fleetside beds out there. Yeah, I know, I'm not being a sheep, or a lemming jumping off a cliff...
Ford offered the stepside bed option in the "heritage" models until 2009. I'm glad they don't offer it anymore.
I didn't mind the F150 stepside on the '97-'03 models because it all flowed together, but after that... ouch.
My opinion, of course.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Yea, real trucks don't have hips. :)

And how easy is it to design a wheel well?
Ask GM. As pointed out recently by Elmore, they don't see tires as round.

So it's harder than we might think.

·
Admodistrator
2,547 Posts
Was sitting here watching the Mechum Auto Auction. An old 57 Chevy truck ran across the stage. It was impeccable. I made the comment to my wife that it didn’t matter which decade the truck was made, there is no stepside bed that I can be a fan. No offense to the OP as this is definitely a conversation of to each their own or YMMV but I think that Toyota bed is a real eyesore. I didn’t like Ford’s, didn’t like GM’s or Mopar’s. I’m simply not a stepside fan.

With respect to the comparison of the two trucks, I think the OP might actually be driving the wrong truck. There’s nothing wrong with that but if you feel that an 05 Toy actually stacks up that well with a brand new F150, I gotta wonder why you changed manufacturers? In the long run you may have been happier sticking with the Toy.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
View attachment 150938

I don’t care for the square fender wells either. But I’d drive this.
I'm really not as big a Ford fanboy as most think. (I'm a Ford man, for sure. But not brainwashed)

I have a Dodge Cummins. I've had various cars from other manufacturers. Infinity, Toyota, Nissan, and currently Mazda.

I have almost every brand of motorcycle, except no cruisers or hogs.

I can't really explain it, but Chevrolet just can't get through to me. I have some kind of unknown prejudice deeply seeded. And it isn't product related. I can't support them with my pocket book.

Maybe if I got therapy or under hypnosis someone could get to the root of it?

I have to admit their stepside was the least offensive to me too. Wierd.

Reactions: Jeep Shadow

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Ford offered a stepside body like one of these for my 2018 F150, I'd probably have gotten one, square peg in a round hole and all. Just not a big fan of the slab sides on today's trucks. But since that's pretty much all we have, I'll live with it. Is a slab side more "stylish" than a step side? Hardly. Is a slab side more functional than a step side? Most certainly.

Stepside1.jpg Stepside2.jpg Stepside3.jpg Stepside4.jpg

·
Registered
933 Posts
I can't really explain it, but Chevrolet just can't get through to me. I have some kind of unknown prejudice deeply seeded. And it isn't product related. I can't support them with my pocket book.
It's the square wheel wells. Your brain knows that even Fred Flinstone knew that wheels were round, not square, and thus their trucks can't ever look right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, enough dissing me for liking stepside beds, lol...

Back to the original intent of this thread...

Have another parameter to compare, namely mpg. I filled up the F150 Sat morning with 93 octane, then drove down to NC for the weekend. Left Sun morning, took the same route, same level of traffic, same driving styles and patterns, etc. Got back here, then filled up the tank with more 93 octane. In case anyone's wondering why I chose 93 octane, I used it on my Fusion Sport, which had the 2.7 Ecoboost, and I use it in my Fiat Spider Abarth, which has a 1.4 turbo. Yes it's more expensive, like 50 cents a gallon more around here, but they're turbo engines, so I figured I'd give 'em the good stuff. When I get my Unleashed tunes, I think I'm going to get 89 and 93 octane tunes, just in case.

Anyway, I don't trust the algorithmic mpg calculations in these vehicles, so I do mine the old-fashioned stubby pencil way: miles driven divided by gallons of gas to refill the tank, assuming I started with a full tank in the first place. So on the Tundra, I never got more than 16 mpg, usually no higher than about 15.5 mpg. It didn't matter if I had the AC on most of the way, or if I was towing my small utility trailer empty or with one of my motorcycles on it, I never got better than 16 mpg. On this first road trip in the F150, I got 23.6 mpg. That's roughly a FIFTY percent increase in mpg, unbelievable! I'm certainly now a firm believer in the 2.7 Ecoboost and 10-speed transmission application in a full-size truck! 'Course I use regular unleaded in the Tundra, and premium in the F150, so there's some added cost that will have to get factored against the higher mpg of the F150. But still, that fifty percent increase in mpg is quite impressive!

Reactions: bespurcell

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
OK, no more stepside bashing. Especially since we have more in common than I earlier knew.

An Ecoboost AND a tossable Abarth?

You da man in my book. (but I'm fond of my straight sided pick up)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
"OK, no more stepside bashing. Especially since we have more in common than I earlier knew. An Ecoboost AND a tossable Abarth?"

Ok, ok, twist my arm to post up pics of my Abarth, lol...and my daughters are loving the Abarth!

Fiat Abarth_20180406b.jpg Fiat Abarth_20180403c.jpg Fiat Abarth_20180331f.jpg Abbey Shelby_Fiat1c.jpeg Abbey Shelby_Fiat1b.jpeg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts