F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are ready to Uncork our Project ecoboost with an aftermarket exhaust system. Id like to hear from the customer on this one. What systems are you most interested in?We will be doing sound clips of each system with the same camera in the same location so you can tell how each one sounds in a controlled environment. We will also be doing a dyno test, probably just on the AFE or MBRP 4 inch systems. Here are the systems we are looking to test:

[h=1]2011-13 F150 EcoBoost 3.5L AFE Mach Force XP 4 Inch Cat Back Exhaust System - Stainless Steel [/h]
[h=1]2011-2013 Ford F150 MBRP EcoBoost 4 Inch Cat Back Exhaust[/h]
What over systems are you considering that we can help with? Just a heads up, this is for cat-back only, no off road or high flow mid pipes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bill- These are the two exhaust system I am considering. I had a Banks Monster exhaust system on my Old 2008 F-150 and it was epic. Not sure how it would be on the EcoBeast though and I heard nothing but amazing reviews on the stainless works 3.5" S-Tube Turbo Exhaust system.

Stainless Works 3.5" S-Tube Exhaust System-

Ford F-150 Ecoboost 2011-13 3.5L S-Tube Turbo Exhaust - Exhausts/Catbacks - Products »

Or Gale Bank's 4" Monster Exhaust (Which hasn't been big on the radar for the EcoBeast I haven't found any real testing data on i.e. dyno chart, or sound clips of it under throttle). They claim there is no Drone despite being 4"

Banks Power | 11-13 Ford - 3.5L EcoBoost>>Monster® Exhaust

banks_ecoboost-exhaust2_sm.jpg

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bill- Have you guys decided on the exhaust you will be testing on the EcoBeast!?! Im excited to see the dyno results and seeing the beast unleashed! Keep us posted and thanks for all the help and assistance you guys have provided all of us.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was looking at going with one of these below. Yes, I am cheap from time to time and if I can save a couple of hundred dollars along the way I'll take a stab at it.
I have run different applications of each of these two manufactures in the past with good results on various vehicles. My concern as is that of many I'm sure is the sound. While I would love to get that nice burble of a V8 we all know that ain't going to happen. But, I sure as heck don't want my $50K truck sounding like a $4K import with a can hanging from the underside.

1. Gibson Performance Exhaust 9540 Aluminum Split Rear Dual Exhaust System $348.49
2. Gibson Performance Exhaust 9209 Aluminum Dual Sport Exhaust System $348.49
3. JBA 40-2528 Exhaust Header Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost $370.45

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only exhausts I've even considered are the afe and full-race. I was into turbo Hondas and drag racing for a while, and full-race was the cats meow as far as those cars were concerned. When I found out they made an ecoboost exhaust, I was sold.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been checking different exhaust products also. There is some (Full Race) which suggest that the 4" exhaust does not buy you any more HP or MPG then a 3" exhaust. Everyone is concerned with sound (NO DRONE), HP and MPG. And I understand it is after all a V6. We can not expect the same results as with a CAT Back system on a V8. So I guess I would like to see a comparison of 2.5" or 3" vs 4". Hearthrob has a nice 4", for 3" I liked the Full Race also.

·
Registered
589 Posts
All good recommendations fellas! I totally spaced about the Full-Racing exhaust you would think with the Freak-A-Boost out there I wouldn't forget them LOL!

·
Registered
182 Posts
And I understand it is after all a V6. We can not expect the same results as with a CAT Back system on a V8. So I guess I would like to see a comparison of 2.5" or 3" vs 4". Hearthrob has a nice 4", for 3" I liked the Full Race also.
Mmmm, for the most part the Eco's are making more power with a cat-back due to being FI. So yes, you should see at least v8 numbers and probably a slight bit more. Most cat-back's are making pretty good tq number's, too.

I'd love to see a true comparison of a Solo mach-x besides the one I've seen, lol. But I am pretty partial. Out of the ones stated do a comparison of the AFE and see if their claims are real.

Slightly off topic, did you guys ever do a dyno of just the AFE charge pipe tuned vs tuned and no pipe?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I really want to see the aFe system with the build that you guys are doing. Mostly because the parts that you guys have been using are the ones that I am looking at getting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
any new updates yet? How about the ford racing cat back as well, Even if they make the slightest power increases its all going to come down to sound for me.

I know it sounds like a crazy idea but it would be cool if someone built a catback with like an aftermarket bmw 335 muffler because some of those cars sound crazy nice, granted I know the motors isnt exactly the same design either.

·
Registered
868 Posts
im following all the exhaust talk and want a cat back for my 2013 ecobeast but the biggest factor for me is the exhausts tone.
i really hate the tin can sounds of import cars and will not tolerate the resonating drone of an exhaust in the cab of a truck that i payed good money for.
i have heard sound clips of a bunch of diff exhausts and some do not sound bad but i fully understand how the variable cam timing can affect exhaust tones and loudness, i played alot with timing in my last truck a 4.6l 2004 and could not beleive the exhaust tone changes i got by changing fuel richness and timing.
i had a borla cat back on it and it never sounded bad but would change drastically if i just added 4-5 degrees of timing or played with the fuel some
as far as the ecobeast exhaust i am still waiting to hear that one that really grabs me

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to see the difference between the MBRP 3" and 4" cat back single.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree! I have a 2013 FX 4 and I really want to add the aFE Cat-Back system. Just worried it wont sound good on the outside and be too loud on the inside.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am just waiting to get my aFe system here in Alaska. I pick it up in about 2 weeks! I will have it installed roughly the second of October. You will have to come over to the house and check it out Kingboost.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just did the AFE 4" cat back last week and it really opens up the exhaust for the turbos to breathe. Its not obnoxious or droning at all. Maybe I can record a sound clip tomorrow...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have heard rumor that the 4 inch was too much free flowing for the Eco boost not sure if that is true or not but read it somewhere. So my question to people with the 4 inch is there any noticeable power difference?

·
Registered
868 Posts
there are dyno numbers out there that show 22 hp / 20+ lbft tq over another already aftermarket exhaust with the 4" but there is a small sacrifice to the low end initially
im torn between the 3" and 4" myself and have not made the decision yet

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
29 Participants
Stage3Motorsports
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing