F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since we've heard from our 2011 F150 EcoBoost Project Truck, and we know all of you had begun to think we've abandoned it for more throatier V8 pastures. Well guess again. We managed to squeeze some time in away from our 5.0L Project Truck and decided to give our EcoBoost F150 a little boost in sound. In lieu of exhaust system, we here at Stage 3 decided to throw a pair of Turbosmart Kompact Dual-Port BOVs onto our truck's 3.5L EcoBoost V6. These BOVs sound pretty awesome, are fairly easy to install, and come with adjustable firmness settings to dial in both sound and performance. Turbosmart's Kompact BOVs are much heavier-duty than the stock plastic valves and make for a good upgrade on just about any F150 EcoBoost. Anyway, here's our quick install guide.

There really just isn't much of a comparison between the Turbosmart Kompacts and the stock BOVs. The stockers are made out of plastic and are held together by their mounting screws. The Kompact BOVs are billet with a fully sealed and self-contained design that just blows the factory blow-off valves out of the water. To get these bad boys on our truck, we headed down to Extreme Performance out in Goodyear, Arizona, to get some help from Kris, Marty, and the rest of the guys with our installation. Two things to note about our install. First, it was pretty simple, but it's much easier if you take of the front wheels (which may be necessary, if you're running big wheel and tire combos). Second, I didn't get many good images of the passenger's side BOV getting installed. There just weren't any good angles. However, we did get good shots of the driver's side and the install is exactly the same. I promise.

We found the easiest way to attack the stock blow-off valves was through our truck's wheel wells. Kris's first step for removing the factory valve was to remove the air line bundle from its bracket and disconnect the line going into the nipple on the valve. Be careful, because it's really easy to break off the nipple.

With the line disconnected, all Kris had to do was remove the screws holding the stock BOV in place.

When loosening the last screw, try to get a hand under the BOV, as it pretty much just cames apart for Kris and the less parts bouncing around your garage or engine bay, the better.

Once the last screw is off, the stock BOV just fell away.

With the stock BOV out, Kris easily dropped in the Turbosmart BOV and screwed it into place.

Once the new BOV was completely screwed on, Kris connected the air line to the BOV's fitting and placed the line bundle back on its bracket.

The process is exactly the same for the passenger's side of the truck, and then you're finished up.

The Turbosmart BOVs sound pretty cool, but you may (or may not) have to dial in their performance and sound by adjusting their firmness settings. In any case, these blow-off valves are a pretty easy upgrade for the 2011 to 2012 F150 EcoBoosts and comes highly recommended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So can these still recirc? If so isn't it a bypass valve, not a blowoff valve...? I know they serve the same purpose (mostly) but they're definitely different.

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
So can these still recirc? If so isn't it a bypass valve, not a blowoff valve...? I know they serve the same purpose (mostly) but they're definitely different.
It's a dual-port design that actually does both, though it's still technically a "blow-off valve".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah I see! I had a Worx BOV on my last Subie that has a similar design, being that it could run full vent or full recirc or 50/50. I may be investing in these shortly!

·
Registered
868 Posts
aside from the aftermarket construction being better, what do you gain other than the louder sound level when venting ?

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
aside from the aftermarket construction being better, what do you gain other than the louder sound level when venting ?
The improved construction allows them to hold more boost than the stock valves. Some people say they improve spool time and response, but you'll have a heck of a time measuring that truck-to-truck. Basically, you're doing this for the sound, the look, and if you're planning on really going crazy with tuning and other supporting mods that increase boost pressure.

How are they adjusted?
Their cap rotates. You can see the split in those first couple of images. We installed it right out of the box without messing with the settings, but we're going to mess around with it and see if there's a "sweet spot." Turbosmart's guide has a decent example with a different type of BOV.

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
Any issues with running rich after you let off the throttle?
Not that we noticed eyeballing our iTSX app while driving around. We need to do a datalog on the truck here soonish just for safe measure. That should be more definitive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not that we noticed eyeballing our iTSX app while driving around. We need to do a datalog on the truck here soonish just for safe measure. That should be more definitive.
I am very interested in the datalogging. Hopefully you get good results on the truck. Can you do datalogging on the full vent, 50/50, and recirc to compare them all

·
Registered
868 Posts
Oh right away you want everything, mike

just kiddin, thats a freakin awsome idea to see really what influence dumping to atmosphere has over recirc.

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
I am very interested in the datalogging. Hopefully you get good results on the truck. Can you do datalogging on the full vent, 50/50, and recirc to compare them all
I don't know about going full firm or full soft (insert joke here), due to the fact it'll eventually stall/backfire. We'll see if we can find a happy medium, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know about going full firm or full soft (insert joke here), due to the fact it'll eventually stall/backfire. We'll see if we can find a happy medium, though.
i really want to do this mostly just for the sound but how do i know what to adjust it to? how do i know if its on the "sweet spot"?

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
i really want to do this mostly just for the sound but how do i know what to adjust it to? how do i know if its on the "sweet spot"?
Honestly, I think leaving them on their out-of-the box 50/50 settings is just fine for about 90% of the EcoBoost crowd, especially if you're just going for sound. We didn't have any flutter, stalling, or backfiring and they both sounded like they were opening nice and crisp. I think a lot of anxiety surrounding these BOVs is a little on the over-cautious side (not that being careful is in anyway bad).

That being said, every truck and truck build is different. Turbosmart's adjustment guide has good pointers, but I say as long as the truck returns to idle at a normal rate with no stalling or backfiring, you're doing just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Any updates....I am curious as to the flutter aspect of the BOV. Another thing the higher the boost do you open the valve more.

When VTA did you just plug the line that ran to the BOV????

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
Any updates....I am curious as to the flutter aspect of the BOV.
I didn't notice any flutter when I drove the truck, however, John said he was getting some flutter over the weekend. He also has a much heavier foot than I do. Regardless, I still think we need to clock them properly if and when we actually find some time around here to breathe, much less work on the truck.

Another thing the higher the boost do you open the valve more.
It's less about boost levels and more how your truck is acting. Every performance setup/tune is different, and you'll really just have to quite literally play it by ear.

When VTA did you just plug the line that ran to the BOV????
We haven't personally done a pure VTA setup on our truck, so I'm not the best person to ask. My understanding is that you can either block it off or throw on a small filter. I'd recommend using a filter setup as a precaution, if you do choose to go that route. Honestly, the BOVs sound pretty good as-is so I'd just connect the line.

We do have an install video up:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Looks good, looks pretty easy to clock them.

Are you getting the fluttering at idle or is it driving around town?

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
Looks good, looks pretty easy to clock them.

Are you getting the fluttering at idle or is it driving around town?
According to John he was only getting some flutter when he was hammering it onto on-ramps. I personally didn't notice anything, but I also haven't had a whole lot of driving time in it lately.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wanted to ask, I was VTA PRIOR to installing these, with my stock BOV’s. Should I reconnect that recirculating tube now that I have installed these turbosmart? Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,516 Posts
I wanted to ask, I was VTA PRIOR to installing these, with my stock BOV’s. Should I reconnect that recirculating tube now that I have installed these turbosmart? Thanks.
If it were my truck, I probably would reconnect the tubes just to keep as much gunk out of the BOVs as possible, but I wouldn't say it's entirely necessary.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts