F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have owned or driven a newer 6.7l powerstroke, how does it stack up against the F150 ecoboost? With the success Ford has had with the ecoboost line, could there be a twin turbo V8 gas powered motor in the works for the heavy duty trucks?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have asked them about the 3.5 EB in select Super Dutys or a 4.7 V8 EB for the Super Dutys. And have always been told NO!

And was told they didn't think the 3.5 EB would hold up in a SD. And they had so much invested in the 6.2 Gas and 6.7 PS that they didn't even want to offer it in a SD.

To me the EB in select SD's for the guy who will tow an RV 2-5K miles per year. And dosen't want the 6.2 for the poor MPG or the cost of the diesel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I drove both before buying my EB. Both are amazing the 6.7 is no joke or slouch but overall I loved the EB better for day to day operations. DUring the back to back test drive i noticed the EB did better on MPG, was faster off the light and roll on. the 6.7 did better at chugging in 6th no matter what incline i found (800ftlbtq might of helped lol). 6.7l also sounded better but Comparing cost and maintenance the EB was a better buy for me and the fact that I would rarely go over 11k when pulling made it a easier choice. I love the 6.7 power but seeing my two friends have to keep them running all winter long when there is no plug in or when temp hits -60f blows my mind when I can fire my EB up at -30f without plugging it in and have no issues makes me feel it was the right choice.
Why they won't stick one in a super duty is beyond me. The EB all ready has the same tranny and the 6.2l makes ok power but if you order The 10k GVW pkg the power ratings are reduced. Plus the MPG and towing performance of the 6.2l is not that impressive compared to the EB. And given the weight of the EB the payload and axle rating would be higher. But perhaps Ford doesn't want to lose the 75% of its diesels to the EB. 5.0l EB would be a nice fit to the super duty too :) though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've driven an F-250 with the 6.2L pulling a 25' flatbed, dual axle trailer completely loaded down and it is not fun with that motor. I'd be on the interstate doing about 70mph and whenever I'd have to go up a hill the transmission would downshift into 2nd gear to get over the hill. I also would have to make sure I never passed a fill up station without stopping. I did the same thing with the 6.7L and it was like a dream come true. Power out the wazoo and even though I always kept 6th gear deleted, going up hills it never downshifted beyond 4th to get up a hill, and I could bypass fill up stations all day. The 6.7L is a great engine, the 6.2L eh, not so much. I don't know why they don't put the EB motor in a SD. I mean, it has more horsepower and the same torque output as the older 7.3L Powerstrokes. When I bought my ecoboost, I was looking at getting into a diesel, but with as little as I tow I couldn't justify the extra cost so I test drove a few ecoboosts and bought the truck I have now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a 95 F250 with the 7.3 and a complete Banks system on it. It would pull any-thing you hooked up to.
Just got a 2013 King (EB) 2 weeks ago and it pulls my enclosed car trailer very well and gets better MPG when not pulling.
Trucks have sure come a long way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It wouldn't make sense to but an EB in a Super duty, at least not one as small as the one in the 150s. I know I wouldn't buy one, I'd only buy a Power Stroke, but I may be a bit biased haha.

Having test driven a 6.7, I'd say it's pretty comparable to the EB, both seem to hit you with a ton of torque really quickly, and both seem to enjoy chirping the tires. Personally, I like the 6.7 Power Stroke the best, fuel Econ wouldn't be too much different I suspect, and it sounds BA.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I'm waiting for a 6.2 ecoboost lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
5.0 or 6.2 EcoBoost would be epic! The power rating would be crazy! From what I've heard the 2015 mustang is rumored to have a twin turbo 5.0 due to the redesign not being able to house the monstrous 5.8l SC V8. So why not make a 5.0 Ecoboost For the f-150 at the very least let the Raptor have one and/or bring back the Lightning lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
AK-KingBoost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing