F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 F150 Lariat EB Max Tow 4x4 OR 6.5' bed
IMG_1991s.jpg

Hard to let go of my 2002 that was fantastic for 12 years. A nice gentlemen from Canada now owns it.
217m.jpg

Still getting used to the differences between the trucks. Each has their unique personalities of which is enjoyable. Hoping to get 12+ years out of the F150 of which the bar of exception has been set high from the 2002 predecessor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Enjoy your new truck! I can empathize with you regarding how hard it can be to part ways. Last month we got rid of our 2003 Chevy.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Congrats on the new F150. I purchased a 2003 Silverado 2500 when they first came out. It was a good solid truck, had it for five years.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The powertrain on the 2002 was awesome. It was as consistent and dependable at 126k when I got rid of it as when I got it new. This engine tested the best out of all engines I've ever had including gas ones. Oil analysis would come back each and every time low wear metals, and with plenty of TBN left. When I got rid of it I was up to 13k mile oil change intervals. Not doing anything special. There were no fluid leaks, nothing seeping from gaskets or mating surfaces. They did something right with mine.

I've enjoyed the F150 so far. Hoping I come to love it as much as my 2002. One thing on the F150 I've notice is the seats bottoms aren't as long front to back. I tend to notice this more on long trips as I like good leg support. One small draw back.

One great thing I'm getting use to is the 6.5' bed. With the increased bed height I can load up right close the same amount of stuff as I could in my previous 8 foot bed. The extra vertical space allows me to keep the cover closed on certain items, saws and other power equipment without having to leave the cover open and in plain view. I need to look locating some brighter reverse lights. I find myself unsure or straining to see what's behind from what appears to be lack of sufficient rear light. The towing mirrors on this thing are industry best.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome! White is nice and so is the view through the tow mirrors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed on your comment about reverse lighting. I need to find a solution too.

Interestingly, despite the much better mirrors and the camera, I am having some trouble knowing whats around me and exactly where my truck is. I suppose it is an adjustment to the longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I still reach up to the wrong side of the steering wheel looking for my wipers....
But this truck is infinitely more to my liking.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I still reach up to the wrong side of the steering wheel looking for my wipers....
But this truck is infinitely more to my liking.
You drove a RHD before your EB?

·
Registered
565 Posts
thats a tough trade a duramax to an eco boost. But welcome to the forum

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still reach for the column shifter that is no longer present. I would actually prefer the column shifter to free up space in the console, but Ford doesn't allow me to consult. :)

Agreed on your comment about reverse lighting. I need to find a solution too.

Interestingly, despite the much better mirrors and the camera, I am having some trouble knowing whats around me and exactly where my truck is. I suppose it is an adjustment to the longer wheelbase.
The bed length certainly does matter. My previous truck came with an 8 ft bed. Without observation I would have expected rear visibility to be increased with the new truck. However, I've observed the function of bed height and how it blocks out a considerable amount of what's behind. This truck is also a slightly wider than my predecessor. I'm sure we'll get more accustomed and confident over time. I just purchased a set of Silverstar 921's for the reverse tail lights. While likely not the end all solution, hoping to gain some benefit. The backup camera is nice, I just haven't fully engaged it in my backup routine. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice looking truck. I sold a 2002 Ford F-250 CC 4X4 V-10, which was a great truck for 11 years. I love my eco boost but what I miss the most is not having a truck payment.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice looking truck. I sold a 2002 Ford F-250 CC 4X4 V-10, which was a great truck for 11 years. I love my eco boost but what I miss the most is not having a truck payment.
I concur with that. I've had that thought many times over. It's a terrible sickness being an enthousist with vehicles.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ironically I started this post last night. Getting all sentimental and all. ;) Owned the F150 since May last year. Sold my old truck last April to a gentlemen in Ontario, Canada.

This morning the owner of my old truck sends me an email. Asking the location of the block heater. Says it's -47C wind chill and the truck won't turn over. I exchange an email with him and he's got it located and attempting to put some heat into the cooling system.

IMG_20140107_114408_1.jpg

Good Gawd Man! ;) That's what the other side of the moon looks like! ;)

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Aren't the wipers all on the same side? On right hand drive vehicles. They are backwards.
I'm smoking something good, lately.
It'ss my wife's infiniti that has it on the other side of the steering wheel.
La la la, hiccup....

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Come to think of it. My 6 sp manual Elantra is on right side. EB is on left. I. Smoking also. But it's on sleeping on last nights night shift.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like you never had to replace the injectors? That LB7 engine was fun to drive and mod but those injectors sucked... Here was my 03. Bought it with 74K and sold it at 175K. Replace the injectors at 130K then added banks 6 gun tuner with speed loader, CAI, banks 4" boss exhaust with 6" tip, line x'd the rocker panels, leveled it...and so on and so on. I haven't even seen my Eco and I have already spent 1300 in mods...going to be an expensive truck ;-)!

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Never did replace the injectors. I attempted avoided the issue by getting in front of any potential. Observing the number of reports from owners researched ways to protect the injectors from small particle damage. GM updated the filter specifications after 3 or 4 years from 10 microns to 2 microns. GM also doesn't employ a lift pump in the tank like the same Bosch injection system used at the time on the Cummins.

I added a lift pump, and a secondary fuel filtration system (pictured). Cost around $400 total in hopes to avoid the issue. After 126k miles when I sold it the UOA results never came back with any trace of fuel present in any sample. It idled perfect and zero smoke from the exhaust.

IMG_1656.jpg

If you've already spent $1300 and haven't stepped foot into your EB, your in trouble. Lots of little things to tinker with on this truck as well.

One thing you'll notice is the lack of door detents on the Ford. It has one at about 15 degrees, and not another until the door is fully open. I purchased a set of OEM modified door detents from a small fabrication outfit, name escapes me, these were done right as Ford should have done it from the factory. If you haven't purchased these already add them to your $1300. You can thank me later. ;)

Get back to the US as soon as you can. That Fukushima disaster is larger than the public or the US military as been told. Seventy of the USS Reagan crew now have radiation and or cancer symptoms. Videos from San Francisco beaches show that areas of radiation contamination five times the normal expected level. Even snow in the midwest is indicating two times normal levels. The further way you can get the better. There's no absolute tie to Fukushima, that's at least what "officials" are saying. No matter the source radiation is radiation, no hiding from that. No where appears to be immune totally immune.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts