F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after reading about filling the stock Sony sub woofer box with 1 lb. of Poly fill and not being able to find any images of how to do it (though it is an easy job some people like myself like to see what you're up against from someone that has previously done it) or any information really other than the usual, "I filled mine and it sounds great" or "have you heard it or tried to fill yours to see how it comes out". I decided to do it and throw up some pictures it was well worth the time is impressive the difference that it makes truly it probably took about 20-30 minutes total time (that was taking my time and doing it very slowly) and the sound gains from it are well worth it.

(These are step-by-step instructions maybe a little simple for some or not detailed enough for others but I think they cover the job pretty well)

First thing you do is unbolt the 3 bolts that hold the Sub box down. The back bolt is exposed the front bolt is under caps that are easily removed by hand. Once the bolts are removed you will find the speaker cables, those are disconnected with the little clip from underneath. Now you can remove the box from the truck and take it inside (or were ever you want to work on it). Once you are set up wherever you're going to be filling the box there is a single bolt on the top holding the sub by the magnet side. It is secured by blue Loctite and takes some force to get it off. Once that is removed, flip the box over and remove the Phillips head screws that are now holding the sub into the box. Now that the sup is removed (I left the wires connected that they are easily removed) fill the box with the poly-fil even if you don't think it will all fit, it will, just keep jamming it into the corners. now place the sub back in and follow the directions in reverse and go back and install it into the truck. (there is an arrow on the cover of the sub and one on the box they need to match up when you reinstall the sub into the box after filling it) I did a 12 ounce bag of poly-fil which is a little less than the recommended 1 pound but it fit in there perfectly and truly I don't think that 4 ounces is going to make that much of a difference. Now test it out and enjoy, it is impressive truly. Not like having a 2 12" sups but a vast improvement in bass.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've seen this before too and was wondering how it really worked. Seems easy enough...I think I'll give it a shot too. Thanks for all the pictures. I also like to know what's up before jumping into something.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep it's super easy, I don't know why but I thought there was going to be more to it LOL. What I was shocked to find is that the sub is actually dual voice coil! From my previous experiences they don't usually waste time or money on dual voice coils even on premium sound systems. Maybe I'm wrong but that was definitely a shocker. :eek::D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the fill tonight. Using your pictures and feeling comfortable, it only took me 10 minutes. Super easy and actually made a difference. Thanks again for the write-up, and everybody should do this.

·
Registered
537 Posts
And yet another who has done the Poly Fill to the Sub. It does make a great difference in the tone of the base and well worth the $3.58 for the bag of poly fill from Walmart. Now if I could find a way to up grade the remaining speakers for the same investment.

The bag of poly stuffing I picked up was for 20 oz of fill. I'm not sure I could get a full 16 oz bag stuffed in there as I have quite a bit of remaining fill from my 20 oz bag.....of course the stuffing did expand a lot after I opened the bag. It took me all of 15 minutes from start to end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How can you not try any upgrade that cost you less than $5? I am in. brb heading to Wal-mart...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
394 Posts
So, what does stuffing the sub do?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Finally made it to walmart. Took longer than I thought. Tonight I stuff that sub...

Last night I filled the sub box with poly. Played a song right before I took it apart and played the same song right after I finished stuffing it and putting everything back together.

I can tell that the hollow sound that it had before has gone away. Not sure it hits harder or sound louder, but it does sound clearer. Heck for the cost of the poly $3, it is worth doing and takes longer to find the right socket then it does to do the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! I wasn't aware it was that easy.. Guess ill have it do it now. Can't think of an excuse to get out of a project that easy...

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, what does stuffing the sub do?
The poly fill actually tricks the sub into thinking its is in a much larger enclosure. The driver cone actually responds better in a larger enclosure and smooths the bass hit. I use to do this to my custom subs installs. Its a nice trick especially in sealed boxes.

Just don't over stuff with the poly...you just want to pack it in loosely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long shot, but does anyone have the T/S parameters for the stock sony driver, or know where I could find out? The sub has been replaced already, but I have everything I need to add a subwoofer to my computer 2.0 speakers except a proper box. I'd like to go ported and tuned fairly low since I don't need 110db, but obviously the driver must cooperate. Otherwise I'll probably throw it into a sealed .5 cubic ft box and see what happens.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have something to do this weekend!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the how to with pictures. I just did mine and it sounds better and I was lucky and asked the wife if she had any of the poly fill and she had a new 1 pound bag so no trip to wally mart.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
50 Participants
zclif2601
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing