F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
While filling my Sony sub with poly, I noticed that the sub was literally face down ON the carpet with maybe 1/8" of clearance above the carpet at the most.
I shimmed up the sub an additional 3/4" and the result was pretty extreme. Definately worth doing!
Hard to believe they engineered it like that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I feel like It was over filled with less then 3/4 of the bag but followed the directions from OP.

Also be careful when tightening the back screw to the magnet, I snapped mine with a 1/4" drive with no effort.

Sound is a little lower but feel I lost some of the "punch" from the speakers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
While filling my Sony sub with poly, I noticed that the sub was literally face down ON the carpet with maybe 1/8" of clearance above the carpet at the most.
I shimmed up the sub an additional 3/4" and the result was pretty extreme. Definately worth doing!
Hard to believe they engineered it like that.
What did you use to shim it? I did mine on a weekend and nothing in town was open to find something to shim it with. I'm sure it would help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What did you use to shim it? I did mine on a weekend and nothing in town was open to find something to shim it with. I'm sure it would help.
I just use some little blocks of wood and some longer screws to refasten.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed the Du-Hu rear storage unit that surrounds the sub on my Limited. Being sound quality stupid (LOL) this must seriously cut the ability of the sub. Any suggestions? The Du-Hu is useless on the right side because of the sub. Should I shorten the Du-Hu so it ends before the sub? Suggestions, recommendations?? Picture is from Hunter73 post. Thks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone added a amp to the stock system to get more volume from the system, I wonder how much the stock Sony system speakers handle.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Has anyone added a amp to the stock system to get more volume from the system, I wonder how much the stock Sony system speakers handle.
I must have sensitive girlie ears...I've not had mine over 10 bars for even the best songs...and that was painful.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I must have sensitive girlie ears...I've not had mine over 10 bars for even the best songs...and that was painful.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Wow, my wife's plain stock stereo in her focus is louder then mine. Mine has more Bass but overall volume, not so much

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just did the fill. I also shimmed it up with some thick washers to get the sub off the carpet. Sounds a little better, but not anything dramatic. Impressed for a few dollar bag of polyfill and 15 minutes

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Just did the fill. I also shimmed it up with some thick washers to get the sub off the carpet. Sounds a little better, but not anything dramatic. Impressed for a few dollar bag of polyfill and 15 minutes
How much fill did you use?
I filled mine the other day, and didn't notice much/any difference...

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
How much fill did you use?
I filled mine the other day, and didn't notice much/any difference...
Same here, I'm thinking about amp'ing the Rockford t1's I installed in the doors and getting a single 10" sub installed.

I was extremely disappointed in the Sony system..

Reactions: Unrealford

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does this have any negative, maybe long term, effects on the subwoofer?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used an entire 16 oz bag and didnt like the sound at all. Very muffled...barely hear the basr at all. Took about 1/3 out and, imo, it sounds great now. Just my personal preference I guess.

Sent from my Samsung 4s

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great upgrade. Did It this this afternoon and sounds great. Thanks for the pics, it made me really comfortable ripping screws out of my brand new 50k truck. Haha.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Great upgrade. Did It this this afternoon and sounds great. Thanks for the pics, it made me really comfortable ripping screws out of my brand new 50k truck. Haha.
My buddy looked at me like i was crazy when i drilled a 1/2" hole in the floor of mine....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did pack the box as suggested and found the bass tighter with less interference with the front speakers low end. I am guessing the issues with the limiting effect with the low end is the lack of capability of the door speakers coupled with phase canceling at certain frequencies on the lower end of the spectrum. Somewhere in the 80-100hz range. This being the case it makes sense for those interested to invest in a crossover for the doors along with new components to get a balanced output without the compression characteristic of the stock Sony HD system. I intend to swap components in the doors and see if they can overcome some of what I consider a poor quality system from the factory. I have done some research and heard solid reviews on the Alpine SPR series for the doors... More to come on what I discover and note I am not into large investments, but something has to improve what I consider a joke for a stock system!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts