F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I did pack the box as suggested and found the bass tighter with less interference with the front speakers low end. I am guessing the issues with the limiting effect with the low end is the lack of capability of the door speakers coupled with phase canceling at certain frequencies on the lower end of the spectrum. Somewhere in the 80-100hz range. This being the case it makes sense for those interested to invest in a crossover for the doors along with new components to get a balanced output without the compression characteristic of the stock Sony HD system. I intend to swap components in the doors and see if they can overcome some of what I consider a poor quality system from the factory. I have done some research and heard solid reviews on the Alpine SPR series for the doors... More to come on what I discover and note I am not into large investments, but something has to improve what I consider a joke for a stock system!
I'm not gonna lie, that sounds like Greek to me.

Here's what I could translate:
Poly filled sub.
Door speakers
Alpine
Stock system is a joke.

:)

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I've been told that, once you defeat the factory bass roll-off, it's not a bad system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know that my '12 F250 crew had way better low vol. bass that the premium system I have in my '14 F150.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Got bored, and maybe drunk...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Haha nice pics fly boy. I just did this tonight as well. I also added 5/16" worth of washers under the bolts to elevate the sub off the floor a little without interfering with the seat bottom. Polyfil + spacers did make a noticeable difference, so its a good cheap mod at $4 total

·
Registered
287 Posts
Haha nice pics fly boy. I just did this tonight as well. I also added 5/16" worth of washers under the bolts to elevate the sub off the floor a little without interfering with the seat bottom. Polyfil + spacers did make a noticeable difference, so its a good cheap mod at $4 total
Thanks!

Washes under all the bolts or just the front?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks!

Washes under all the bolts or just the front?
I did them under all 3 of the bolts. Initially thought about only under the front 2 bolts, but I didn't want to cause any alignment issues when re-installing.

Reactions: Fly boy

·
Registered
522 Posts
Did this last night. Got maybe 8-9 oz in the box. Tighter sound. The system still sucks overall, but for < $5, this makes it suck a little bit less. Worth doing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Great thread. Did it yesterday. Maybe 10oz of fill and rubber washers. Makes a difference in my opinion. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just did this also.... but only used about 8 oz of the fiberfill and it pretty much filled the box without packing it in too much. Also shimmed it up with 1/4" plastic washer on all three bolt down points.

This coupled with the 4 new Polk db571-5"x7" speakers in the doors I put in yesterday and the system sounds dramatically better!

After installing the new door speakers (vast improvement over the cheap China made Sony stockers'), the base sounded even more hollow and disconnected....but this "sub-mod" made all the difference, thanks for the recommendations!

Once again this forum has been a great source of quality information and reference for me, and the "go to" forum for our trucks!

Reactions: 2013 Plati

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did this mod last night. I'd say for $4 and 10 minutes of work, it's worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any idea what the specs. on the Sony subwoofer are (i.e. mounting depth)? Can anyone who has done this mod provide the dimensions? Thinking about trying to swap/replace the subwoofer itself with a shallow mount subwoofer by either JL Audio or Pioneer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just finished doing this. Talk about easy!

Im no audiophile but I'd say it sounds better. Even if it's only marginally better, it was worth the $4 and 15 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely worth it! Made a world of difference for me. For those of you that dont notice much of a difference, make sure all your wires are attached correctly. I read that a guy on here had unconnected wires from the factory.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts