F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a lurker in this forum as I don’t actually own a F150 3.5 EB. But have used the knowledge here for most of my build and thought I’d pass on what I found to this community since the information here has helped me in my build.

I’m installing the 13-15 3.5 EB turbos on my 3.7 Mustang. SSM (Super Six Motorsports) makes an adapter flange with the stock 3.7 cylinder head bolt pattern to the 3.5 EB exhaust manifold pattern. Most 3.7 mustang owners are just doing straight stock EB swap stuff. I’m using CRP manifolds, upgraded ic, turbosmart bov, aluminum charge pipes and 3” OR DP. This all is being tuned by MPT, this is who has tuned my NA 3.7 Mustang since new in 2013 and this is who I’m having tune this kit (they have done a few already).

On to the original topic.
Originally I wanted to use the LET/Fastlane 58mm compressor upgraded turbos then I was going to use the Ford GT turbo upgrade (with research on the forums).

I did some calling around and found that Turbobay in Florida offered a F150 turbo upgrade, 54mm billet compressor and rebuild at a reasonable price. I called and talked to Matt (owner) at Turbobay and told him what I was doing, my only concern was making power to 7k and I was alright with a slightly later spool for better top end.

He came up with a bigger upgrade over his standard 54mm rebuild using a 59mm compressor wheel, his heavy duty guts and stock, clipped or upgraded turbine. The compressor wheel upgraded will be available in 11 blade, 7+7 blade and 6+6 blade.
My turbo will be using a 7+7 or 6+6 compressor with a clipped turbine for now, to see the results of that combination. Then later I will send my turbochargers back in for a bigger turbine wheel upgrade if the results are not what I’m after.

777ED289-8150-4FA2-8E81-E99600C4184C.jpeg
CEB16705-4FA7-45EC-A410-7327C58D2168.jpeg

·
Administrator
9,695 Posts
I'm subscribing...this is gonna be awesome! I've watched a few 3.7 builds, mpt does a good job with them with FI. They can be pretty nasty!

We may want to move it to the off topic forum, I'll confer with my fellow mods.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
subd fo sho

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
My next question would be if this allows you to run stock manifolds would it then allow you to run EFR manifolds and turbos 🤔?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My next question would be if this allows you to run stock manifolds would it then allow you to run EFR manifolds and turbos 🤔?
Yes it would bolt up to the adapter, no it would not work on a Mustang. Not enough room on the passenger side from side to side and engine to hood, the stock ecoboost setup is a tight fit.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I am assuming 54mm and 59mm is the exducer of the compressor. What is the inducer size, cause that is really what tells us the power capability.

I know CRP is making a 42mm x 56mm compressor which is quite large. Thats enough for well into the 600's hp wise. GT's are a 39.3mm.

I was also told that going any larger than a 42mm would cause the inlet of the turbo, where the intake piping clamps on, to be paper thin. I have a set of 2014 stock turbos with the guy that built the upgraded turbo for my Jeep and he said any larger than 42 is not really possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am assuming 54mm and 59mm is the exducer of the compressor. What is the inducer size, cause that is really what tells us the power capability.

I know CRP is making a 42mm x 56mm compressor which is quite large. Thats enough for well into the 600's hp wise. GT's are a 39.3mm.

I was also told that going any larger than a 42mm would cause the inlet of the turbo, where the intake piping clamps on, to be paper thin. I have a set of 2014 stock turbos with the guy that built the upgraded turbo for my Jeep and he said any larger than 42 is not really possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You would have to call Turbobay Performance and talk to Matt about all the specs. He does custom setups for stock turbo frames of many different makes and models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the expected timeline til we see results??
Just waiting on the turbos to be finished to start the build. The turbos are at Turbobay performance and he said the end of this week they should ship, but who knows. I have all the other parts minus some miscellaneous and getting exhaust tied in plus tuning. September/October.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Some update pics, turbos are on there way to me. My custom 59mm compressor turbochargers, custom turbine wheel, custom HD internals along with custom front and rear step gapless rings.

We are trying out whatever he does to the stock turbine first and see where that gets us with the 59mm compressor. He also has upgraded turbines if the turbo needs to be adjusted on the turbine side for more flow and where the power band start and falls off.

FYI the whole rebuild was cheaper then buying Ford GT turbos or Fast Lane/Let 58mm compressors turbochargers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Sweet, I’m looking forward to results.

Just my personal opinion, but I think the compressor housings will be your limiting factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock (11-12 set I had) vs. upgraded 13 turbos with turbosmart wastegates. I’ll also be installing the AMS exhaust connector flanges, just haven’t bolted them on yet.

Going to take a little longer to get the turbo kit on since I’m installing a built 6r80 trans with exedy clutch packs, billet intermediate shaft and circle d 258mm 4D (will foot brake at 3k on my setup). Plus I need to find time in between porting manifolds (side business).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulled the trans and installed circle d 58mm 4d converter. Tapped the passenger side oil pan ( drivers was tapped and welded from previous single turbo kit in 2015), installed the -4an fitting for water lines on block. Went ahead and pulled stock over axles in preparation for the GT500 over axles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Wow that's just awesome, great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts