F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
7,233 Posts
Matt at Turbobay does something with the turbine, he also has 2 other bigger turbine options available.
i too look forward to the results, however i want to let you know we had a raptor come in, had similar size wheels and not cheap. that turbine side is the issue, just watch for any turbo bearing material in the oil, the added weight (my opinion) on the shaft from the larger wheels caused some issue in the center section and here we are building a twin efr 4.2l for his raptor with custom cams. all because of the turbos. and it’s a pretty known company who modifies turbos on hyper and super cars. good luck, just keep an eye on the oil for FM from the turbos. save you a big bill later.

sub’d

Family First

·
Vendor
7,233 Posts
Think it’s necessary? The fittings are barbed.
Highly suggest using push connect nylon hard tube. They hold 375 psi and there isn’t a one ear clamp to crimp or a worm gear clamp to tighten and ruin the hose in 15-30 days.

Fastenall has them, get metal bodied ones, I will take pics and post. For sure worth the couple dollars. Seriously, only like $20 bucks and it won’t need to ever be thought about or potentially fixed, wont break, and won’t do whatever else could go wrong with worm gear clamps and heat on soft hose.

we literally used to have issues when worm gear clamps were used years ago 99% of time and they pierce the hose and start shaving it up. Worst case use oetiker clamps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Car has been remote tuned by Mike @ MPT on 93. Runs great, keeps full boost at WOT to redline. Cruise car stays out of boost (biggest fear with the 3.7 engine and little turbos). Can’t get traction off idle WOT, even with the 285/40’s with 3.55’s, but it’s predictable spin. I’ll just throw some drag radials on the ForgeStar 19x10’s and put the Michelin Pilots on the extra 19x9 set I have for the rears.

Currently making a custom 304SS 2.5” to 3” catless DP, (not enough room for a full mandrel,bend 3” bend at the turbo outlet) to 3” X pipe to 2.75” over axles to GT500 mufflers. Finding a competent exhaust shop to make the DP without being idiotic on price (or wanting me to provide all the pieces ready to weld) was absurd. So I’m doing the fabrication myself and having it welded together.

I went ahead and ported a set of 3.7 S550 upper/lower intake manifolds (I like the design and casting better over the S197 version), I also port matched the lower intake outlet to the cylinder head runners. Installed the IAT sensor in manifold for water/meth injection (using it just for cooling in summer, and/or stock ecu ignition timing advance, not tuned power). I also ported the inlet to 80mm to use a stock GT TB. Catch cans are located in each corner in front of tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Man that is a tight fit but this will be awesome trolling if if you can beat bolt on 5.0s and other v8s. I think people are more ok with losing to 4 bangers than 6 cylinders lol. I suggest cutouts to give them the full awful v6 noise as you pass them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Man that is a tight fit but this will be awesome trolling if if you can beat bolt on 5.0s and other v8s. I think people are more ok with losing to 4 bangers than 6 cylinders lol. I suggest cutouts to give them the full awful v6 noise as you pass them.
Depends on the year bolt on NA 5.0 tbh, 2010 GT or lower for sure easily (a modded NA 3.7 can beat one of those GT’s NA, just depends on who is modded more and better driver).
2011- 2017 NA 5.0 I should unless the 5.0 has heads and cams, my car now is way faster then my friends bolt on 14’ GT I drove on a few occasions.
2015-2017 has more power then 2011-2014, but also more weight.
Now a 2018+ and newer 5.0 would be a challenge NA depending on mods due to improvements in power and torque on those year stock.
If I swap to E85 and up the boost, I can easily grab another 100 whp. I could spray Meth and tune for same result. Problem with both those is E85 is not readily available in the area and I don’t want a Meth tune dependent car in case the pump or something fails.

On a side note when I was FBO 4.10 gears NA I beat a 5.4 swapped GT with 100 shot of nitrous and 3.55 in a dig race. Dude use to talk **** on the 3.7’s and my car up till then, next week he sold his car and bought a 2011 Camaro SS. True story.

pics of said GT swapped 5.4 with nitrous

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find these kinda builds to just be absolutely awesome.
It's seriously refreshing seeing folks step out side of the box and do a build different than the rest. Making it your own with your own thoughts and ideas, and yeah of course you had help, but what killer build didnt have multiple minds behind it.
Thank you for sharing this, thank you for the thoughts and ideas, and yeah if it hasn't been million mile tested it will break, everything breaks. I'm gonna guess that the journey for this fella is just as important as the end result. And if and when it breaks I'll bet you will be smiling cuz you have another idea you wanna try and now you have the opportunity.
Thanks again bud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I find these kinda builds to just be absolutely awesome.
It's seriously refreshing seeing folks step out side of the box and do a build different than the rest. Making it your own with your own thoughts and ideas, and yeah of course you had help, but what killer build didnt have multiple minds behind it.
Thank you for sharing this, thank you for the thoughts and ideas, and yeah if it hasn't been million mile tested it will break, everything breaks. I'm gonna guess that the journey for this fella is just as important as the end result. And if and when it breaks I'll bet you will be smiling cuz you have another idea you wanna try and now you have the opportunity.
Thanks again bud.
Appreciate it, I’ve always been a diyer type of guy. Tuning wise I’m running around 8 psi boost on the 3.7 (equivelnt to 16 psi on the 3.5 trucks) and the tuner is going to tweak the timing.

I also fabed my own 2.5” -3” mandrel bent downpipes via cut, align marked and had a certified SS welder weld up. I full 3” mandrel bends but just not enough room for the bend out of the AMS adapters.

Currently working on making my own Intercooler ducting via fiberglass. Though my iats haven’t been out of control I”m just getting it ready along with hooking wires to power for the water meth injection kit (cooling purpose not power) before Southern summer heat hits.
A few pics of the DP’s I fabricated and had welded up.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tuning wise I’m running around 8 psi boost on the 3.7 (equivelnt to 16 psi on the 3.5 trucks) and the tuner is going to tweak the timing.
I don't comprehend, can you elaborate? the 8 is equivalent to 16 in terms of power, stress, limits of the motors, fuel/ detonation limits, etc.?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Their is a dynograph overlay with a 3.7 procharged, F150 ecoboost and the 3.7 ecoboost kit (it’s a 15 psi to 8 psi difference) on 93 octane. This particular 3.7 owners dynograph has stock ecoboost 11-12 turbos, stock F150 manifolds, stock 3.7 Mustang 2.25” downpipes with cats, stock intake manifolds, stock TB.

So it would be relatively safe to assume I’m making more with bigger turbos, CRP manifolds, 2.5” to 3” catless exhaust, ported intake manifolds, bigger TB on 93 octane by the same tuner. My actual tune with bigger turbos carries boost all the way to redline with no drop off, unlike the guy above who originally did the first kit, his boost would taper by redline. Keep in mind my setup is currently 8 psi also (I feel 10 would be safe on my setup). I’ll eventually bump it up higher when I’m ready to build a forged motor. The piston rings and ringlands are the weak link in the 3.7 motors.

Again this is not my dynograph but a guy who did same thing with stock everything both F150 and 3.7 stuff bolted on his car 🤦‍♂️

FYI same guy below made over 400 whp/wtq on his setup with E85 and 12 psi.

Pink is SuperSixMotorsport's 2015 Procharged 3.7, 11PSI on 93 octane: 408RWHP/369RWTQ.
Blue is 3.5 EcoBoost F-150, 15PSI on 93-octane: 342RWTQ/374RWTQ.
Gold is my 2015 3.7 with EcoBoost swap turbos, 8 PSI on 93 octane: 336RWHP/353RWTQ.

This chart will answer the question that most people will have of "Will EcoBoost twin turbos on the 3.7 produce similar power outputs as the EcoBoost F150?" Answer in short is yes.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I don't comprehend, can you elaborate? the 8 is equivalent to 16 in terms of power, stress, limits of the motors, fuel/ detonation limits, etc.?
Procharger and bigger turbos have ran years on the stock 3.7 blocks with considerable drag strip runs with great numbers (2 run mid to high 9’s 1/4).There is not a lot of data for the 3.7 stock block with smaller ecoboost turbos and the side effects smaller turbos bring (more lower end torque, lower rpm band with high cylinder pressures).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts