F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a new truck for a couple weeks now. I currently drive a Siverado 1500 V8 4.8L

The biggest factor in this purchase was fuel economy. I do not tow things but maybe once a year. And its nothing substantial. I mainly use my truck to move large things around town. Plywood and lumber, a refrigerator, etc.

In the past 2 weeks I've test drove all the trucks I listed in the title. They all drive like trucks IMO. none really felt different than the others to me. The main thing I have been looking at is the options inside the truck. I am wanting one with a nice infotainment(I hate that word) system. That kind of seemed to throw out the tundra and the titan right away. Also those 2 trucks had nothing going for them as far as fuel economy.

I have all these vehicles at just about the same price right now. I am looking to make a purchasing decision by the end of this week.

Just doing some research it seems like the RAM is the only one with substantial amount of data for its V6 3.6L 8 speed. Somewhere around 20MPG seems to be the average for this vehicle. There does not seem to be enough data for the Silverado and the F-150 yet for actual real word values for fuel economy. 90% of my driving is going to be city so I am very interested in these numbers. Does anyone have any input on real world MPG values for the Ecoboost in the f150? Or anything else they would like to shear about the RAM, f150, and silverado?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I came from a similar truck to the boost.

My economy is slightly worse, but everything else is better sitting behind the blue oval.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
All the new trucks are so much bigger then the old silverados. I made the exact same switch. I saw 20mpg for every tank with my 2wd 4.8l. Now i have a 4wd ecoboost and see 19-20 every tank. The extra power and joy really help out but i wish ford made a 3.0L ecoboost for your situation. For fuel economy there is no replacement for lack of displacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was confused by both yours guys posts lol. Maybe I should have gave more detail. My current V8 4.8L gets about 11MPG for me. Its a 2004. The sticker is 10/12mpg. All the trucks I looked at are an improvement for me fuel efficiency wise. I'm just concerned with the EB being such a new engine that the EPA numbers are not super accurate. I have the same concern for the new Silverado. The only one I actually believe is the 8speed RAM. It seems like there is enough data at Dodge Ram 1500 MPG Reports | Fuelly to support the sticker. Its still not 20MPG but its only a couple less.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I was confused by both yours guys posts lol. Maybe I should have gave more detail. My current V8 4.8L gets about 11MPG for me. Its a 2004. The sticker is 10/12mpg. All the trucks I looked at are an improvement for me fuel efficiency wise. I'm just concerned with the EB being such a new engine that the EPA numbers are not super accurate. I have the same concern for the new Silverado. The only one I actually believe is the 8speed RAM. It seems like there is enough data at Dodge Ram 1500 MPG Reports | Fuelly to support the sticker. Its still not 20MPG but its only a couple less.
My 06 with a hot tune got 15 to 17 in the city and 19 to 20 on the highway.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Is the lack of fuel efficiency you guys are seeing because of the 4wd perhaps?
Absolutely, plus it's so much fun...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Real Numbers/Real Truck
I am on my second super crew EB. The truck has 13,000 miles. It is 4X2, 215 rear end. I just drove in from Daytona Beach, FL. Drove most of the way above 75mph. Lots of 75+mph time. I had 823 miles on the speedometer. Both truck calculation and hand calculation was 19.8 mpg. There were two occupants and about 500 lbs. in back. Love the EB.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I live in ND and get 15 to 17 in Bismarck, if I dont let it idle. I have a 13 super crew 4wd with 3.73 rear gears. If I let it idle and drive after 5 mins of idle time I get 12.5 to 14 in town.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I get decent fuel economy on the highway (20-21 mpg) but my city sucks. BUT, it sucks on EVERY vehicle I own or drive.

I live less than 2 miles from work, so my engine and transmission never really get warmed up. If I let it idle for a few minutes first, it gets worse. My mileage actually gets better, if I can have to do some errand first, and drive a little more.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I sit right around 17-18 around town and 20-24 on the interstate/hwy.

I just did an 1300 mile round trip from Chicago to middle Tennessee cruising at right around 70mph and got 20.1 for the whole trip which included a bit of back country farm roads and city.

You may get a bit more from the dodge 6cyl, but you lose so much capabilty with the dodge compared to the EcoBeast.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I sit right around 17-18 around town and 20-24 on the interstate/hwy.

I just did an 1300 mile round trip from Chicago to middle Tennessee cruising at right around 70mph and got 20.1 for the whole trip which included a bit of back country farm roads and city.

You may get a bit more from the dodge 6cyl, but you lose so much capabilty with the dodge compared to the EcoBeast.

SPPD
Wow, I had to do a double take on your fuel economy.
Then I looked at your description, the two wheel drive really changes the economy a lot.
I see about the same as you during the summer around town but I'd love to see 24 highway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are considering the v6 ram why not the 3.7v6 f150? I think with the 373 rear end its till rated to tow 7000lbs

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am getting 15L/100 km with mixed city and highway.
3.73 gears. I don't obey the speed limit and it seems to not mind highway speeds.
I have a cap on the bed. 17L pulling a 9K travel trailer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same setup. A 1500 GMC 2wd 4.8L. Going to be buying a ecoboost in the next month. Been watching this site for awhile, since I have to find some ford forums now LOL. Hope the boost is as fun as advertised!

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just sold my 2003 4.8liter Chevy and got my EB last weekend!

So far, I've only got 180 miles on the OD and my average is at 17.8 for my work commute. I have worked hard at staying out of the pedal, except for 2 times that I ran it through the gears hard. All of my driving has been my work commute which is 20 miles each way of 50mph zones and about 10 red lights. When I get to the open four lane and set cruse, the numbers seem to shoot way up. I imagine they'll creep up a hair as the engine breaks in too.

I'm pretty sure that my old 4.8 would see 18mpg only in its best conditions. Making this same drive, it was more like 14-15mpg.

All that being said, the biggest differences are EVERYTHING else. This F150 makes my old Silverado feel like it was many, many generations behind. I'm not one to need the fancy stuff, I was completely happy with the Silverado. We only changed because we had a true need for more towing capability and SCREW to fit the family better. However, I feel like I'm being spoiled in luxury every time I get in the EB. It is easily twice the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 4x4 with 3.73 rear end and I commute 11 miles to work and 11 miles home. I sometimes have to run around town doing errands and such. My mpg were very consistent at 17.4-17.9. Since it has gotten cold and I warm it up in the mornings now it's down to 15.8-16.5. But when I put it on the freeway mpg goes way up. Last weekend I had a 90 mile trip (180 round trip) and my mpg was 20.1. That includes some running around in the town I drove to. I'm very happy withe the mpg on this truck. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts