F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 f150 c/c xlt with the 4.2 screen and I'd like to add the factory backup camera that uses the 4.2 for a display. I'm curious if anyone has successfully done this and if it was as simple as ordering the tailgate emblem with the camera and hooking up the harness or is there more involved?

I wouldn't mind going with an aftermarket head unit if i can utilize the factory backup camera in the tailgate emblem but i'm not thrilled with the metra double din install kit for the 2013.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check right behind the bumper on the drivers side. If you have the wiring harness end, it's likely all there, ready for you to hook up.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you give more detail on locating the hardness and if it is their what wires if any will be needed to complete install

·
Registered
425 Posts
for us with the 4.2 inch screen our backup camera comes on in our mirror if its oem. Im not even sure if its possible to get the 4.2" screen to show the image that the camera sees

·
Registered
425 Posts
like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
if it were me, I would just order thru Ford and have them install it. It may cost a little bit more, but may be well worth it. Unless you did the MFT option

·
Registered
425 Posts
Or aftermarket Double din and then do the camera option. I had an 02 Explorer that I bought the factory back up camera for and put a double din into and it worked perfectly. I even got the "hey idiot, you are about to hit something" beeps in the speakers. I know that they make aftermarket SYNC controller to make the steering wheel controls work also. Might be a cheaper option than MFT

·
Registered
425 Posts
let me know what they say! im thinking about upgrading to MFT soon

·
Registered
888 Posts
$558 for plug n play not bad. Plus its OEM and works really well. I have to 2014 so it came standard on the 4.2 screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Went to ford dealer ship and they where no help they pretty much told me if it didn't come with a camera its impossible to install one. Does anyone know any dealerships in az that will retro fit? Or anyone know a for sure kit that will install nice and clean?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I was checking out the camera source. You must get a lock pik for the factory camera to work on the big MFTouch screen according to them and a few threads/people I have talked with.

They say you can't get it to function proper and there is no A/V / RCA jack. Well my truck has the factory equipped a/v inputs in the center console and the owners manual includes gaming system in its description of things it can do. That means to be the video came could be viewed on the touch screen. Why could the back up camera not be hooked into these same inputs? You would have to toggle to A/V input on the touch screen to view

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the one from camerasource. It works just like oem. You can use the settings in the truck to make it stay on for a little while once you put it in drive. It's worth it if you want it to look and function like oem. It was an easy instal. Just take time to run the wire and take apart dash. The directions tell you everything you need to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts