F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I put my brake controler in and then talked to dealer about activation they said $330 I then called another dealer about 70 miles away they told me $110 still sounds pretty high to me.

Sent from my EVO using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just checked my receipt again.......For factory brake control module.......Controller = $200.00, Labor = $130. Best set up I have seen in a brake controller. Works perfectly. Spend the money and don't look back is my theory. These controllers are the ticket for safety and match up to your trailer very well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've towed for 40+ years and I've never used anything as good as the Ford stock brake controller! Don't use anything else!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I think I'm being misunderstood I plan on using the ford one. I bought the factory brake controler on eBay and installed it myself the one thing that I'm tryiing to do is not get taken to the cleaners. I can understand $330 for the whole thing but not just to flash the computer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would talk to one of the techs and ask what is involved. If it is already installed they may be a little skittish about liabilities because they didn't install it. I used to be a service manager years ago for a Toyota dealership and I would not allow my techs to touch any electronics the factory or my shop did not install. I realize it is pretty much a plug-n-play but if something is wrong they do not want to be liable. I am thinking that is the reason for a high labor rate. Ask one of the techs if they do any side work and tell them your situation. You might get one of them to jump on it for a few bucks in cash. If not you may be stuck with the price they quoted you. I would be careful of a shop that is too cheap.........You may get what you pay for.......My opinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After talking to a tech in another town he said my dealership has a real bad reputation and to just bring it to him he will do it for $110 and if I had anymore problems to call him first. I think that I just found me a new dealership.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After talking to a tech in another town he said my dealership has a real bad reputation and to just bring it to him he will do it for $110 and if I had anymore problems to call him first. I think that I just found me a new dealership.

Seems reasonable. Wonder if Ford knows about the bad reputation dealership. They do not tolerate excessive consumer complaints from a shoddy dealership.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The factory controler works with the truck computer for better control. And it won't work without a reflash to recognize the brake controler at least that's what I'm being told

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok lmao I took my truck into the dealer and asked them to plug the computer in and lets at least see what it needs to program brake controler. Ok here is the deal guys and gals. I live in a real flat land area so they never did one. This is what is involved they plug computer in then they go to menu then click on programing click on personalize click on brakes then click on enable trailer sway control this will activate brake controller. It took 10 minutes to do so if any of you run into this problem this is what you need to tell them. Cost was $60.00

·
Registered
64 Posts
For what they have to do its ridiculous but I remember mine running $125.00 all that has to be done is a simple reflash of the computer so it sees the controller.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its not even a reflash its just enabling it kinda get your money thing they do thats why I posted what they do I stood right there and watched him do it. So don't let them tell you any different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its not even a reflash its just enabling it kinda get your money thing they do thats why I posted what they do I stood right there and watched him do it. So don't let them tell you any different.

Makes perfect sense to me. It is a simple switch within the software. Thanks for sharing the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts