F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share some useful info with you all. I purchased Diode Dynamics SLF fog lights (H10) and Oracle's LED headlights (H11). 2016 F150 XLT 3.5L EB

The Diode Dynamics's are crazy bright for fog lights and they don't seem to scatter the beam much and no one has flashed me (I drive a lot at night on rural roads). The construction of them is pretty solid and I'm confident typical small road debris, mud, and water will not hurt them as the led drivers are encased in metal and epoxy resin. Install is straight forward, but I removed the tire and first two screws on the wheel well to gain better access. I also zip tied the LED drivers to a metal bracket next to the fog light housing to keep things from being damaged. Only complaint is that I wish the wire was 2" longer from the light to the driver and that they do NOT use Philips ZES chips on these. Also, only the drivers side is working right now and I'm trying to RMA the other but haven't gotten a response from them yet, but I'll update on their customer service. Cost was $100 a set on Ebay from one of their authorized dealers. I installed another set into my 2017 Focus fog lights and that made an even bigger difference in that car, but the light seems to scatter more. Hoping I'm not blinding people, but still haven't been flashed.

Oracle's headlights use official Philips ZES chips in a cool white light that matches the Diode Dynamics SLF. Oracle also uses a PASSIVE cooling fin design (need to point that out since most LED manufactures use fans that can break or wear out) that can be mounted with the big end forward or backwards to allow for more clearance. They also allow you to adjust the beam angle via their adjustable chuck so you don't blind other drivers. I purchased these over Diode Dynamics SL1's because of these reasons, but another reason is because they use 4 ZES chips over Diode Dynamics 3. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but it feels like you get more for your money lol. After receiving and opening them up I was highly impressed with build quality as the attention to detail is noticeable. Everything went together easy enough, without issue, and I added some extended dust covers just to give the new lights more room to breath, but the factory cover will fit. The beam pattern with the chuck set at neutral looks fine to me, I used the wall and tape test to make sure they stayed aligned compared to the halogens and they did. I also haven't been flashed yet with these either. Cost is only $97 if you do some digging on the web, Amazon is one place that had them at that price when I ordered so they're a very good value compared to other LED headlight offerings. Installed these on the Focus also and had the same awesome results.

If I do the high beams I'll update, but with these new low beams and fog lights I haven't once even considered reaching for the high beams in the time they've been installed; and remember I drive rural roads where there's no street lights to help out and on coming traffic is only a foot or two away.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Oracle lights: https://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Lighting-5235-001-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B06XP3ZMSH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544051885&sr=8-3&keywords=oracle+led+headlights+h11
Extended dust covers: https://www.amazon.com/TOMALL-Cover-Headlight-Replacement-Rubber/dp/B07H7CQ5F6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544051978&sr=8-3&keywords=83mm+dust+cover
Diode Dynamics SLF: https://www.amazon.com/Cool-White-Light-Bulbs-pair/dp/B07GC7C6XY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544052044&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=diode+dynamics+slf+h10

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No questions for the moment, but I found it helpful. Thanks for the info
Helped a friend install a set of Oracle lights in his 2015 F150 this past weekend and we had to use a razor blade to trim a little bit of the inside of the headlight housing on his (the plastic inside of the dust cover area, so no big deal). So I don't know if there's slight variances in the Ford headlight housings or the heatsink size used on the bulbs. Just wanted you to know encase you buy them that a small amount of trimming might be required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Helped a friend install a set of Oracle lights in his 2015 F150 this past weekend and we had to use a razor blade to trim a little bit of the inside of the headlight housing on his (the plastic inside of the dust cover area, so no big deal). So I don't know if there's slight variances in the Ford headlight housings or the heatsink size used on the bulbs. Just wanted you to know encase you buy them that a small amount of trimming might be required.
Did you have to add any extra resistors, or was it just a straight plug&play install?

Did you do hi & lo beams?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to add any extra resistors, or was it just a straight plug&play install?

Did you do hi & lo beams?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Low beam and fog lights only for now, these are easily twice as bright as halogen I haven't needed high beams since these were installed.

Nothing extra is needed. From what I've read 15+ F150's don't require anything because the factory LED option already requires it and it's in place on all the trucks because of this. This might also hold true for the older F150's not sure, but my 2017 Focus also didn't require any thing extra for the lights to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed H13 LED LO/HI as well as 9145 LED Fogs and did not require a resistor on my 2012 Lariat with factory Halogen. Absolutely made a major improvement and does not seem to scatter like OP said, Oracle has great products!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts