F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went through a replaced the factory plugs on my 13'. I just hit 40k miles and have been battling a rough idle. I searched around on the forums and saw the suggestions to pull the plugs and regap to 0.030. I pulled all the old ones and found them all above 0.035-0.040. Got the new plugs in now and verified their gap at 0.030, so we'll see tomorrow if it makes a difference. I couldn't believe how tight the factory plugs were put in though, on at least 3 of the 6 I was worried about snapping them, anyone else have the same issue with plugs being in there extremely tight?

Also I think in the next couple weeks I will be buying a snow performance water/meth kit. Mainly will be running it to help clean the valves and mitigate carbon build up. Anybody know if th factory gap is ok to run while running the water/meth?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clark - pretty much set on doing water meth for the cleaning aspect, not trying to get a big power jump. I'm really just trying to ensure I don't get the backs of the valves caked with carbon and have issues down the road is all. I appreciate the suggestion and will look further into it though

isdaako- the plugs were black with carbon, I know on other previous turbo gas builds I have done when they're gapped correctly they were a light brown, however with the direct injection I'm not sure if that is what's causing them to build up soot on them. All plugs were dry and the electrodes were still in decent shape for having 40k on them. I did regap them back down to 0.030 and set them aside for a rainy day incase I need them. Also checked them all for carbon tracking and only had one that had a hairline mark on it. Porcelain was still in decent shape as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the carbon build up something that can be tuned out or is it just a nature of the beast with gtdi engines?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Wow after 7500, guess we can't go off plug color then lol
Well... To be fair I'm modded fairly heavy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah just looked at your build thread, it's pretty impressive haha. I'm going a different route with the first mod being water/meth :p

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
That's what I thought too. Pulled mine at 26k. Cylinders 1-3....located at the front view passenger side of engine were grayish black; than the drivers side cylinder 4 was grayish black. Cylinder 5 had oil low on the threads and black?
Cylinder 6 was black but no oil.
Dropped some new SP534's in gapped at .028 - still rough idle? ....But I digress.
Took my truck into Ford and showed them my plugs...thinking the black color (and oil marks) of the plugs was gonna be an instant red flag?! NO...tech said the plug colors were normal. :scratching head:
Ford engineers have tech using a special scope to look down into the cylinders for cracks, leaks, etc...?
Love this truck, but man.... I hope they find that little bastar* of a gremlin (soon) that is running loose in my Boost!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like it has solved the rough idle at the moment but we'll see if it stays smooth. After a week or two should be a better indication. I'll snap a picture later and post it of the old plugs, was thinking the truck may have been running a tad rich but now knowing it's normal for the plugs to be dark they were probably alright to regap and be put back in. I just figured I was pulling them either way so I may as well throw some fresh ones in before I do the water/meth.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Honestly I think if you are tuned you should change out the plugs at least every 10k or so, stock can run longer with no issues... But let me throw this out there: 6 SP534's from Amazon is $38.94 shipped (before tax if applicable). I spend more than that on any number of things every month... These trucks like a hot spark IMO... Gap 'em to .030 stock and .024-.026 tuned and change them often for that price... I'm going to do mine every other oil change simply because they are cheap, readily available and the truck LOVES new plugs LOL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't know if my butt Dyno was off but it did seem like the truck was more peppy with the replacement plugs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts