F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Questionable noise,

Whenever I put my truck in reverse and apply some throttle the truck makes an odd clicking/tick noise. The noise seems to be coming from the rear right wheel area. I feel like it could just be a noise that comes from a truck when you use it......not an issue kinda thing. However, my Dad was riding in the truck and pointed that it could be some sort of symptom regarding somthing called a "u-joint"? Regardless of what he said I have noticed the noise is becoming more common especially when putting the truck in D to N to R and vice versa. Any troubleshooting tips would be great and or others encounters with this noise would be nice to hear about.

Is anyone else experincing this noise? I dont want to call it a problem yet until I have a bit more of handle of the source of the sound.

The truck is still under warranty with 10k miles on her.

Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it in. Its probably related to TSB 13-7-7. Mines in there as we speak getting this fixed.
Do you now what causes this? or what it can lead to without service?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
from what ive read its a pinion issue, or a driveshaft issue. ill know more tomorrow.

i have read of a catastrophic failure involving the driveshaft, but its not clear if it was the reason.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just had mine fixed last week. its a bad seal in the rear diff. they replaced the seal, pinion, and refilled fluid. no more click or clunks and better mileage for me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i like the thought of better mileage.
Your results maybe different but mine is showing improved. it makes sense, low fluid in the main drive axel would create less efficient movement.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your results maybe different but mine is showing improved. it makes sense, low fluid in the main drive axel would create less efficient movement.
Thank you guys for the input. please do keep us informed of what your dealer says and does. I will be call to get my truck in asap now ha.

·
Administrator
7,729 Posts
I searched through all the TSB's when I first got my truck and must have missed that there was an ACTUAL TSB out for this noise.

I will definitely be taking the truck in for this...starting to get annoying, as well as wondering if it is damaging anything else in the process.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've noticed it in mine and it comes and goes. Thought it was because I wasn't at a complete stop when I was shifting but didn't think it was an issue till the above threads. Thanks and I will keep an eye on mine and please keep us updated on any finds. The rear low fluid level makes sense. Tick is minor at this point, but you never know

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've noticed it in mine and it comes and goes. Thought it was because I wasn't at a complete stop when I was shifting but didn't think it was an issue till the above threads. Thanks and I will keep an eye on mine and please keep us updated on any finds. The rear low fluid level makes sense. Tick is minor at this point, but you never know
Shifting early was exactly what I thought was causing it!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
327 Posts
Today ive noticed that if you are at a FULL stop , it wont make the noise. If you are rolling or not on the brake shifting fast, it makes a click from the differential

Sent from my SPH-D710 using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
327 Posts
After i paid attention to it...i came to a full stop and didnt make the click...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thank you guys for the input. please do keep us informed of what your dealer says and does. I will be call to get my truck in asap now ha.
I searched through all the TSB's when I first got my truck and must have missed that there was an ACTUAL TSB out for this noise.

I will definitely be taking the truck in for this...starting to get annoying, as well as wondering if it is damaging anything else in the process.
Im pretty sure I have noticed the same noise. I'm bringing my truck in Friday for its first oil change and will mention it to them to see what they say.
Hey Eboost14, milesej05, paulie 99, and Wes350x,

I'd like to look into this. Shoot me a PM with you name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Polch525
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing