1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have experienced the shaking and loss of power these report. I live in south Texas where humidity can be very high, this is definitely where i seem to notice it most. It is a scary thing passing someone only to find out that the truck basically is dead in the water.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think that Ford would do a recall on all affected trucks.
This is the start of the process for a federally mandated recall. I suspect that Ford will make some sort of "voluntary" actions to make this go away before it becomes more of a PR nightmare than it already is.

I think it is safe to say that very few people have had this issue, but for those that have it could have been catastrophic.

SPPD

·
Registered
7 Posts
so do we need to take it in so they can update the computer or is there more involved than just that. It sounded like there is some parts that need replaced if they are damp.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so do we need to take it in so they can update the computer or is there more involved than just that. It sounded like there is some parts that need replaced if they are damp.
Right now you only get the new parts if you have the issue documented by your dealer. They will replace the CAC (intercooler) possibly 1 new cat converter, and in some cases 1 or more coil packs. Most 13s and late 12s already have the new parts, but some have still had the issues even with the new parts. Knock on wood, I have not had the problem. I still love my EcoBeast and would still buy it today knowing about this problem.

SPPD

·
Registered
311 Posts
Right now you only get the new parts if you have the issue documented by your dealer. They will replace the CAC (intercooler) possibly 1 new cat converter, and in some cases 1 or more coil packs. Most 13s and late 12s already have the new parts, but some have still had the issues even with the new parts. Knock on wood, I have not had the problem. I still love my EcoBeast and would still buy it today knowing about this problem.

SPPD
Hadn't heard about the cat converter being an issue. Coil pack has come up before on this forum. What is the story behind the cat converter? Is that collateral damage from the humidity fault?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hadn't heard about the cat converter being an issue. Coil pack has come up before on this forum. What is the story behind the cat converter? Is that collateral damage from the humidity fault?
Don't know Yake. I am just going by what my dealer and a few other forums have said.

SPPD

·
Registered
54 Posts
My step Dad had the loss of power and shuttering. He took it to the dealer and they replaced one cat converter. They never said anything about the intercooler. They told him it was from bad gas. I told him that was a BS excuse.

This happened last summer and its a 2011 EB.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Someone will get killed from the "Ecoboost Stumble" pulling out in traffic and then the "terrible government" some complain about will finally take action on behalf of the consumer! In the rain, race the engine before pulling out into fast traffic to make sure you don't lose power especially when pulling a trailer!

I also had a "runaway" incident with my Ecoboost where it would accelerate at a moderate speed with my foot off the pedal until I braked for a light. When I took my foot off the brake it took off again until I turned off the engine and restarted. Of course I can't reproduce it for the dealership. I think it was related to adjusting the height of the pedals while the engine was running.... but who knows!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2011 just had an O2 sensor replaced due to the check engine light coming on and then after four days the light came back on and the dealer replaced the catalylic converter. I have only had the loss of power stumble happen just once, pulling onto a small side street, but the run away power surges happen almost evertime I leave the parking lot at my office. My biggest complaint is that the truck studders and misses during exceleration. BUT if the light is not on, then the dealer can't fix it. My mistake is that I purchased the extended warranty or I would have fixed mine myself by now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a couple of terrifying experiences,towing a toy hauler I went to pull out on to a highway and had no power (about 20-30 mph) I was headed to the interstate to return home but that would have been crazy, I took US 1 thru small towns all the way back.You think of an extreme safety hazard as not being able to stop or slow down or loss of steering but believe me if you don't know you will be able to accelerate especially w/A 1/2 ton truck and trailer you should not be on the highway.Evedently the "fix" is more than Ford wants to put out.After the Pinto debacle where they decided as proved in an inter office memo from accounting that it was cheaper to pay for the resulting deaths than recall and fix the cars I am shocked they have not swiftly addressed this.I love their product,I am actually considering a 2nd Ford for economy (Focus?) but this problem that seems to affect vehicles in Fl and Texas w/high humidity needs to be completely corrected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
GDDIII
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing