F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a day with temps in the double digits so I took the opportunity to get my exhaust installed. My initial opinion is high on this kit. The fit was perfect and while the tail pipes took some wrestling to get right, they don't touch anything on the truck so there's no chance of rattles or clanks. I was afraid that it would be too tight around the spare tire for two pipes to come out there, but Gibson bent the pipes perfectly. The hangers are all good spots too, no problems there either. The chrome on the tips appears to be very good quality and the welds on the muffler are very nice. I love the look of two tips coming out on the same side, but I wasn't a fan of the silver pipes standing out so much from behind, so I painted the tail pipe sections with semi-gloss black caliper paint. They came out great and they really blend well into the undercarriage of the truck. The sound is just what I wanted. Deep, low tone with nice subtle volume at idle; slightly louder than stock during cruising speeds and as good a sound as I can imagine out of a 6 cylinder at WOT. I'm thrilled with it so far. Here's a few pics of the install. The second post will have a start up and idle video.:cool:

Reactions: forourspam

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
How's the tone?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the video of start up and idle.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Sounds great, we need a wot vid though!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll work on that ASAP. It's still extremely shitty out here, so it may take some time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the alumanized version just in case I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out that much; I paid $347 shipped. For the money, I can't imagine there being a better quality kit.

Reactions: curtis249

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I got the alumanized version just in case I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out that much; I paid $347 shipped. For the money, I can't imagine there being a better quality kit.
Dang that's the cheapest exhaust ice heard of. Which website u go thru?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds great, one of the better sounding EB exhausts that I have heard/Interested on your feedback on interior sound, if it is positive I may need to add this to my list as I would like a little more growl out of my EB

·
Registered
565 Posts
I like my Gibson exhaust and got it for a good deal i went with the single but that was the one i wanted

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly, I really picked this exhaust because l like the look of the dual tips on one side. The better sound was a secondary benefit. I do like it so far though, there is very little drone and while you can definitely hear it inside, it's not annoying loud like some of the others I've heard. I'm gonna try to get some more videos up soon.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
565 Posts
Honestly, I really picked this exhaust because l like the look of the dual tips on one side. The better sound was a secondary benefit. I do like it so far though, there is very little drone and while you can definitely hear it inside, it's not annoying loud like some of the others I've heard. I'm gonna try to get some more videos up soon.
I haven't noticed a drone but it was a little more quite the i wanted but as the muffler broke in i like it. it seems loudest at idle

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
A decent res will cut that little bit of drone right out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's not enough at this point to mess with it. I like the sound of it and on he highway there is no drone at all so that's really all that matters. In city traffic, you're gonna get slight interior noise with any aftermarket kit. I'm completely happy with this system so far.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everything else on my truck is completely stock.
In therms of performance, I didn't notice anything other than sound and a slight MPG increase, but even that could be due to a multitude of factors. I haven't really driven this truck aggresively or even spiritedly on many occasions since I got it; the weather has been terrible since the day I bought it, so it could have made a performance difference and I wouldn't really even know. I know it sounds much better and the avg. MPG (all city basically) went from 14.2 to 15.7 (I filled up and reset the meter the same day I installed the exhaust) including quite a bit of 4 high driving in the snow and ice. So that's a win/win to me.
I highly doubt that any cat back is going to make a noticeable gain in HP or torque. Someone that really knows their truck may get slightly better acceleration out of it from the turbos spooling a little quicker, but at the HP levels that we're talking about, even 20 HP is hard to notice in the seat and on the street.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So there's no sensors that you had to remove?
I'm seriously thinking about this set up. Little sound and turbo. Just what I'm after

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, no sensors had to be moved, removed or replaced. It took me about an hour and a half start to finish and I'm a perfectionist. It could have been done quicker. Didn't need to lift the truck or anything. The only thing I did to make my life easier, was cut the tail pipe off of the stock exhaust. That made it easier to get out from around the axle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is the same exhaust I'm looking at. I had a Gibson exhaust on my Expedition with 5.4L and loved it

1 - 20 of 43 Posts