F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Firestone Air Bags installed on my 2013 Ecobeast, I also had the onboard compressor installed. I have the 6.5 ft bed with the 3/73 rear end and my little 23 ft travel trailer was squatting the truck way more than I liked. I have not towed with it as yet, so I was wondering if anyone else has tried this set up, and how it worked for them. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I also had the front end raised approx. 2 inches to level the truck up. I also need to re-aim the headlights as they are not correct now.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Where did you mount the onboard compressor? Can you post some pictures? I'm interested in installing these as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just put these on my truck last weekend. I haven't towed yet but I'm expecting zero problems.
I have some pics in the build section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got mine from Autoanything.com ; installed the airbags myself, and they work great. Be sure to put a Tee in the airline to equalize each side, and run one inlet port out the back, right next to the license plate. I use it all the time, when overloading the bed with gravel, lumber, the camper, and anything heavy. Simply carry a 7-gallon air can charged with 100psi, and level the rear end out at any time.

These Firestone air bags can hold up to 80psi, and I often go 50-60, when necessary, and it rides great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the onboard compressor. I tow a 10000gvw trailer at almost max gvw and the air abags are awesome. They keep the rear end up nicely. Firestone is the way to go.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Interested if the air ride helps with the resonance bounce that is induced on certain concrete roads? I ran into this a few times and it is very specific to the highway, seems there is very little you can do to stop it other than driving slower, or to a limited extent driving without any water in my fresh tank.

Also, how much does the air bag affect unloaded ride? The stock truck rides remarkable smooth when it is unloaded. Hate to give that up...

Does removal of the jounce bumper create any drawbacks or does the air ride prevent bottoming out the suspension with a low pressure setting?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't use the air springs. I have used the Timbren Load Boosters on all my F150's for years. www.timbren.com

I have always been very happy with them. No maint. and only work when loaded. They replace the old factory axle bump stops and still give a smooth ride. They also come with a 1" spacer block. I never use the spacer if you do it then you will get a pretty good jar when going over speed bumps and ect.

I also change the rear shocks to the Monroe Load Matic shocks. They are sold in pairs and have a coil spring on the outside.

We just towed a 7K# loaded car trailer and it only moved the back down by about 2" and still had plenty of weight on the front axle.

And the Timbren have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't use the air springs. I have used the Timbren Load Boosters on all my F150's for years. www.timbren.com

I have always been very happy with them. No maint. and only work when loaded. They replace the old factory axle bump stops and still give a smooth ride. They also come with a 1" spacer block. I never use the spacer if you do it then you will get a pretty good jar when going over speed bumps and ect.

I also change the rear shocks to the Monroe Load Matic shocks. They are sold in pairs and have a coil spring on the outside.

We just towed a 7K# loaded car trailer and it only moved the back down by about 2" and still had plenty of weight on the front axle.

And the Timbren have a lifetime warranty.
Quick Question, Would this setup possibly work with a truck that has been lowered in the back with a leveling kit? The truck actually appears to sit slightly lower in the back than the front so if it raised it a touch it would be ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, I got some air bags on my slightly lowered ride and they made it ride rougher, but when I towed with them this week they provide a much better towing experience than I had without them. Driving is much more confident even in windy, hilly roads.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the firestone 2525 ride rite on my rig. love them! I tow a Toyhauler fully loaded it is 10,000lbs and is very front heavy. Used to squat my truck 7"!! now with 30psi in the bags it squats less then 3" which makes the truck level. what a difference it made pulling for me. when empty I leave 10psi in them. rides as good as it ever did. I had to mess around a bit with my equilizer hitch and air pressure to get it rite. for me those are the magic #'s. I started out with 60psi and little to no squat on the truck and found a little tail wag with trailer, I think you still want a little squat on the back. anyway this works for me. I also run a stabilizer bar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
fx4 4fun
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing