F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first oil change done at 3000 miles. Dealer got me in an hour early, coffee was excellent, banana muffin was tremendous. Finished in an hour and left happy as a clam. That was Friday and today...check engine light. I popped the hood to investigate to find the oil cap laying right next to the hood latch. WTF!!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Had my first oil change done at 3000 miles. Dealer got me in an hour early, coffee was excellent, banana muffin was tremendous. Finished in an hour and left happy as a clam. That was Friday and today...check engine light. I popped the hood to investigate to find the oil cap laying right next to the hood latch. WTF!!
Unfortunately accidents happen but that's the exact reason I do all my own maintenance and avoid the dealership service department if it all possible.
I have a few similar stories like yours as well when I used to take my truck in a couple trucks back.

They are just trying to get through and done with each vehicle as quickly as they possibly can to get onto the next one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I am sorry for your experience but I actually laughed.

I try to tell people that pay for oil to change to at minimum check the dip stick before driving off.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I do mine for this exact reason. No-one to blame but myself if something isn't right.

Wife took her new vehicle in for its first oil change at the dealer. Didn't even make it to the end of their driveway before the low oil light came on. They said it was only a qt. low but I'm betting they didn't out any in. Thankfully it's been 7 years 160k miles and we haven't had any issues out of it.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Yup. Almost every time I pay someone to do something for me, whether its my house or my car, the level of incompetence astounds me.

Last time I had one of my cars worked on by a shop, they didn't torque the front right brake caliper bolts down and it came loose while I was driving my son to school. Luckily the wheel held it on my rotor but the wheel got scratched up pretty good. The shop offered to do a few free oil changes and I asked why I would trust them to do that if they couldnt tighten the caliper bolts down. I never claimed those free changes.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I am sorry for your experience but I actually laughed.

I try to tell people that pay for oil to change to at minimum check the dip stick before driving off.
Even further, I had TWO experiences of the dealership f'ing up my oil change. I had oil changes included with my plan and both occurred in the early years.

1st time, I was driving after the dealership and saw a cloud of blue smoke coming from under my hood. Pulled over as soon as I could safely, and checked and found the someone only loosely put the dipstick back and oil was spraying from it. Luckily I caught it, but I was carefully cleaning my engine for months after that to clean off the oil.

After that, I ALWAYS checked both the oil cap (I actually put my cleanside separator on, I only put the oil cap back on temporarily when I go in for an oil change) and dipstick.

And sure enough, a few months later, after another oil change at the dealership - I checked under my hood BEFORE even starting the engine. And sure enough, some bonehead entirely forgot to put the dipstick back in. Just laying in the grove in the engine bay where the hood closes. Since then, it confirmed that I MUST check under my hood BEFORE I take off and drive if I have ANYONE change the oil, except me.

And, when it is winter and IF I come due for an oil change, I will use an oil change place (not the dealership) and again, double check everything before I leave. Even then, I caught one place put in the WRONG oil (5w 20 Semi-synthetic - even though my oil cap clearly says 5w 30 and I specifically requested FULL synthetic Mobil).

That time I was SO angry, I didn't even bother going back to that place. And did my own oil change, in spite of the cold, damp weather. It just made me swear more, while changing my oil.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yup. Almost every time I pay someone to do something for me, whether its my house or my car, the level of incompetence astounds me.

Man you ain’t kidding! I always seek out the highest recommend quality trades/shops as well and still I don’t think there’s been anything that I’ve ever paid someone to do where I haven’t gone back through and fixed at least one thing, some instances several things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,317 Posts
Reactions: f4milytime

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second doing all your own work. I always have done all my own oil changes, except once I had some very busy months of work and knew I was getting past the interval, so I went to the oil changers where we take our work vehicles. They are always fast and seemed competent. I forgot about it untill the next oil change, the damn oil drain bolt was totally rounded off. I thought back to the last time I had changed the oil, I know I would never round it off, then realized I had gone to oil changers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I paid for 3 full synthetic oil changes and filter change from local shop, 4th one I thought I'll do it myself, crawled under the SUV and shocked as hell to find the oil filter I myself had put on the last change I did prior to the 3 changes still there in all its rock auto sub brand glory.
Now whats the chances this mech had the exact same premium synthetic filter lying around the last 3x? Eh? Eh?
They clearly never even changed my oil.
I got rid of that vehicle and do all my own now. Can't trust anyone. Imagine if that had been my poor turbos....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Better to learn without a catastrophe than find out when it’d hamstring you. One dealership near me left a full quart of oil in the engine bay. I discovered this AFTER I got home. I called to let them know and have been especially leery about trusting them again. Thankfully I am able to do a lot on my own and use another dealer for parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took my used 2018 F-150 STX back to the Ford dealer to get my first oil change since I bought it their.
They came out and said "Bad news and Good news "
Bad news your front brakes were installed wrong and we need to keep the truck to fix, not safe to drive. Good news. We are the last ones to work on the truck. So the brake job and rental car will be no charge.
Think I might go somewhere else next time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I always recommend Doing oil changes yourself. I also preach about keeping a strict schedule especially on a DI engine.
I've NEVER had anyone else change my oil, but if i did, it would be Valvoline. They have gotten sued enough times that they came up with a system using 2 people for the whole job. I don't know the exact process (just going off what a freind who worked there in high school told me) but there is one person doing the work and another double-checking him, including visibly verifying the oil filter gasket came off the flange. The only negative thing i could say about them is their oil filters are smaller than OEM on several applications, but I'm not sure if that includes ours.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I always recommend Doing oil changes yourself. I also preach about keeping a strict schedule especially on a DI engine.
I've NEVER had anyone else change my oil, but if i did, it would be Valvoline. They have gotten sued enough times that they came up with a system using 2 people for the whole job. I don't know the exact process (just going off what a freind who worked there in high school told me) but there is one person doing the work and another double-checking him, including visibly verifying the oil filter gasket came off the flange. The only negative thing i could say about them is their oil filters are smaller than OEM on several applications, but I'm not sure if that includes ours.
Ours are already kinda tiny. The Fram Ultra XG8A's that fit my Liberty CRD and 4Runner are like 4x the size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts