F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here so please forgive me if this has already been posted. I have about 2600 mi on my EB and was curious as to the different philosophies that are out there regarding when to change engine oil. The computer says I'm at 79%. That would mean I wouldn't change the oil till about 10k? Do any of you guys do the change at set intervals? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like to change the oil between 500 and 1000 miles to get the break in gunk out of the engine/filter; I put Amsoil in it and will change it 15k from now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I changed mine at 1000 with full synthetic then again at 5k and every 5k after that. Before your first oil change if you do it yourself get a good tarp, 2 coffee cans to catch the drips, a good oil drain pan and most importantly a fumoto drain plug. First oil change was a huge mess, after the fumoto drain plug install it's a breeze.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
OP, I say you are ready for your first change. I used semi syn first oil change at 3k. Went to synthetic at next one 6k later. My OCI is 5-6k with synthetic oil and oem oil filter.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It's better to err low than high. Many here do it at 5k intervals.
Get a good full synthetic, for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did my first one @ 1k and switched to the Ford full synthetic. Have been changing out every 5k from there on out.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I normally get the OEM oil out at 1,000 miles then change once a year (unless I reach 5,000 miles sooner).

·
Registered
253 Posts
From my aircraft engine experience, I personally I would not go to full synthetic until at least 3000 miles. For break-in you want to limit friction modifiers to allow for proper piston ring seating.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
From my aircraft engine experience, I personally I would not go to full synthetic until at least 3000 miles. For break-in you want to limit friction modifiers to allow for proper piston ring seating.
Interesting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Aircraft and car: Apples to oranges Aviation piston engines operate in different conditions than automotive engines and thus have different oil requirements. I wouldn't use knowledge of a high compression, low rpm, AIR COOLED engine as justification to comment on vehicle engines other than an old air cooled VW bug ;-)

Any oil that has API seal that states energy conserving has friction modifiers whether it is conventional oil or synthetic oil.

Many new vehicles come with synthetic oil in the crankcase out of the factory. It is a myth that only conventional oil can be used in a new engine. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove metal flashing or any other abrasive material left inside the engine after machining, as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with much tighter tolerances and much improved machining, and under much cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in period using petroleum-based motor oils.

With all that said, I don't know squat about aviation piston engines cuz I strapped myself into an aircraft that pumped out 4,500 shaft horsepower for each of its two turbine engines while I served in the Army. We never changed the oil per any maintenance schedule on our T55-L712 Lycoming enignes. The was only changed when oil analysis told us to to do so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts