F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know its "against the rules", but I have to do some yard work this weekend and have lined up a skid steer and a trailer. I was told by the skid steer owner to get a trailer with 2, 7000 lb axels. HaHa, will see what this little 3.5 can do friday morning. Total load will be right over 12,000 lbs and the truck is 5,500 with me in it! For those slow with math that is a GCWR of 17,500 lbs. I kinda hope something breaks so my chevy friends get a chance to gloat for once!

Reactions: FitReaper and STdan

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I hope nothing breaks and its a flawless pull... That way they can still keep their head under the sand!

·
Registered
868 Posts
thats gotta be a ginormous skid steer because i have ran all different makes from Mustang to Bobcat and they were all pretty much around 5,000 lbs to 6,000 lbs.
i get the impression that the owner should have said 7,000 lb rated trailer with 2 axles

·
Registered
873 Posts
That might be close depending on the trailer weight. They may have said 5k axles to be safe. You should be able to tow fine, it will just be slow. Biggest thing will be to get your brakes aetup right before you hit real speeds

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did pretty much the same thing a couple weeks ago. Trailer + Skid Loader 11600#. I don't have the max tow either. It did it better than my old F350 6.0L. VERY impressed! I doubt you will have problems.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's fun! My truck def feels like it can tow as wel as my 04 5.9 could around town. It looses a little on the highway, but I attest that to the 6 spd. If I lock it out of 5th and 6th it's not too far off. That's with a 16ft enclosed at around 4500-5500 lbs

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 18' 10" skeeter walleye boat that the little 3.5 tows around on a regular basis. That weighs around 5000 lbs loaded, this skid is a big, tracked skid that a friend of mine is letting me borrow for a couple weeks to do yard work. The boat doesn't work my pickup at all. My previous tow rig was a 08 F150 with an Edge tuned 5.4. I bought both trucks new, the 08 had 12.5 miles on it when I bought it and the 13 had 4 miles. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the 08. A persons first brand new rig has a special place in there memory.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To answer brian351w, it is a ginormous skid. I enquired more from the owner and he told me that it is a New Holland C238. I checked the New Holland website and the skid alone weighs 10,100 lbs. The owner says it will lift my trucks rear tires off the ground when I load it onto the rear of the trailer, so I am to go slowwwwwwwwly onto the trailer.

·
Registered
860 Posts
wow, be safe! That's a heck of a lot of weight. Post some pics :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know a guy that tows a race car hauler fully loaded, at 18,000 lbs. (trailer only)
His comparison was to his previous V-10 Ford truck. (Seriously out of its recommended towing range)
The Ecoboost would out pull it an a serious uphill run, and never miss a beat.
10K is not much of a challenge.

·
Registered
873 Posts
We had that issue with a skid steer once. Owner was loading it on a truck and in a hurry as always. Bumped the trailer too much and it picked the back tired up and off the truck went down the slope. I had to run and jump in the truck and hit the brakes. Might make sure to have someone in the cab if you're not on flat ground

·
Registered
329 Posts
You will be fine, and it will give you more ammo to get those missled chevy owners over to the ecobeast side!

·
Registered
868 Posts
We had that issue with a skid steer once. Owner was loading it on a truck and in a hurry as always. Bumped the trailer too much and it picked the back tired up and off the truck went down the slope. I had to run and jump in the truck and hit the brakes. Might make sure to have someone in the cab if you're not on flat ground
i have a 5'x10' construction trailer and haul 2 skids of wood pellets on it every yr and have noticed that having a ton setting on the back edge of the trailer the rear end gets pretty light and will slip on a slope somewhat similar to what you mentioned.
in my 2004 if i shut the engine off the front hubs locked up due to the loss of vaccuum to the actuators for the 4x4 so i would just pull it into 4x4 and shut the engine off and not have any issues because the driveline loaded up and held from the parking brake
these new electronic 4x4 systems may act differently and may need to be left running but i would imagine they would accomplish the same thing through the driveline if engaged
if i had only 2wd i would definetely block the front tires or have someone hold the brakes if i was loading anything close to 10,000 lbs onto a trailer
you can always play it safe and pull the breakaway pin on the trailer too which would hold the brakes while you were loading.
i guess the main thing is to plan ahead and do things safely.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the rig pulled flawlessly. Actually it was a bit boring. No hitch, no giddyup, just pulled it. I got everything loaded up and got out on the road, set the cruize at 70 and headed 50 miles back into Bismarck. My dad couldn't believe that I didn't ask for his diesel, he wants to go with on the return journey so he can see it, as he doesn't believe it pulls as well as it does.

·
Registered
187 Posts
thats gotta be a ginormous skid steer because i have ran all different makes from Mustang to Bobcat and they were all pretty much around 5,000 lbs to 6,000 lbs.
i get the impression that the owner should have said 7,000 lb rated trailer with 2 axles
Maybe you need to try out a Deere. ;) My 326D (70 hp) weighs 8125lbs+ 3 pairs of weights @ 516 lbs + Grouser tracks @900 lbs= 9541 lbs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
do you have air bags on your truck? I just towed today, no more that 2500 pounds and the suspension seemed to squat quite a bit. Seems like the truck would bottom out with that much weight! and how did the brakes perform? My brakes seemed to be working pretty hard to stop, and I even started coasting a long way back from the stop signs so i wouldnt have to work them too hard.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
do you have air bags on your truck? I just towed today, no more that 2500 pounds and the suspension seemed to squat quite a bit. Seems like the truck would bottom out with that much weight! and how did the brakes perform? My brakes seemed to be working pretty hard to stop, and I even started coasting a long way back from the stop signs so i wouldnt have to work them too hard.
I have a Max tow fx4 that is bone stock, I have towed quite a bit with it (10k+ miles) and even with 8k plus loads it doesn't squat excessively.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts