F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from a 600 mile tow to Jefferson NC and back with a 6000lb camper and it really did well on the way up, there was plenty of power on tap. The return trip, however, was not as comfortable. I guess the small displacement of the ecoboost just does not offer sufficient resistance for engine braking. Going down an 8% grade in 2nd gear would push it on up in the rpm range. I let it get to 4500 rpm before pulsing the brakes to slow down. We didn't have this problem with the 2004 expedition with 5.4L we made it down the same pass without using the brakes at all. Anyone else having trouble with this? Any solutions? Diesels can use an exhaust brake but they don't have a throttle body. I don't know if you can use one on a gas engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Side question : what speed was that with 4500 rpm in 2nd? And what are your final gears?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3.73 rear end I'm not 100% sure on the speed I think about 50mph and I would brake to 35mph

·
Registered
59 Posts
Huh. I wonder if it would would have let you go down to first at 35. According to the manual, the transmission won't let you do anything "bad", and that engine would be happy to sit at 5k.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wondering if you were using tow/haul? Mine downshifts automatically on dramatic downgrades. I've seen it crank out above 4,000 rpm. Really helps to hold a speed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Obviously the compression of a 6.5 or 7 liter diesel engine will do much better going down hills. You can't have everything in one engine. Getting away from the cheerleading, and having towed with all of them.... the real reasons for buying an Ecoboost are the initial cost compared to a diesel, and the superior ride around town when not towing due to the lighter weight/springing on the front axle.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i agree the small 6 cylinder does very little in engine braking and the only answer to that is to use the brakes and if you have to use the brakes alot and hard towing a heavy trailer boost that brake controller setting up or upgrade to a better brake pad set than the factory crap.
i have a 2013 and the engine braking alone wont even slow an empty vehicle on an 8% grade at highway speeds.
i have tried it and the rev limiter kicks in and out above 5K
we just need to learn a little diff driving style when trailering a heavy load on hills

·
Registered
42 Posts
@Brian351w....I agree we just need to learn a little difference driving style. I pulled my 5'er up and down the grapevine on Rte 5 in California. The north bound lanes are 6% down for 5 miles. The first time I did this coming to California I was pulling a 30' TT with an '06 FX4 F150. Before leaving SW Florida I put all new brakes on the truck. The trailer brakes worked well BUT.......by the time I got to the bottom of the grapevine my brakes were smoking on all 4's. Towing my heavier 2014 5'er with the EB it was a completely different experience. The engine held it at 4k rpm all the way down. I was able to maintain my speed at 54 mph most of the way down and when it climbed to above 60 I tapped the brakes to bring it back down. In my opinion an 8% grade, expecting the truck engine to hold the push back, is not something most would expect to encounter. Not sure how much difference a diesel would do in that situation depending on the distance of the down grade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts