F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Prescott AZ from Scottsdale this afternoon!
Not before having to do a little landscaping the late day/ night before..... had to cut back A LOT of Bougainvillea branches where I stage the travel palace before the excursion-lol
First trip with the revised 5* 91p/t tune; SPD Catted Downpipe & Turbo Adapters + the Bad454SS high speed fan relay!
Now cue up the White Zombie>Thunderkiss "65".....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Lol. Awesome!

Yea, every year about this time I have to drive the truck up and down about a ¼mile of driveway and stand on the toolbox or ladder in the bed to cut vegetation for rooftop AC clearance on RV.

I admit to not collecting the cutoffs and putting them in a pile or trash. They get dropped roadside as I move along.

I'm envious! You beat me to it this year. It just hasn't gotten hot or humid enough to run me out of Texas yet. :)

Be careful out there and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Snake! Man did the wife and I need this....a pinch rusty on conjunction to threading the needle on back in>38' TT (I'm a professional as I tell the wife) but no worries & no damage-lol

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
38'......you ARE a pro!

I gotta unsubscribe. I'm feeling weak.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How Did the Fan relay work? What were your coolant temps?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am definitely sold on it!
I watched the fans on the 5*91 p/t tune switch from low to high in Torque Pro....all the while having them switched on high speed during the pull-pretty frickin awesome.
When the truck got warm the fans quickly cooled things down!
The Bad454SS Mode worked flawlessly-big ups to you!

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Yaw gonna make me go refresh my memory on the fan mod. :(

:)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Ive been out twice this year and managed to warp a manifold. CRP manifolds are ordered.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know.....lol, it NEVER gets old walking through the RV park with the Golden in tow visiting with fellow towing brothers & sisters.
First thing I get is....holy cow we saw you pull through with that large :blush: Keystone Outback> pulling it with an F150?
This coming from the owner of a Ram 2500 pulling a 27' TT-lol.....camping across from our site.
I did find an older Boost couple from Virginia with a 2017 F150 EcoBoost pulling a 25+ Airstream. They loved the way their truck towed.
Good times. Heading to San Diego Memorial Day weekend.....
This is the look I get as we pull in....

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am definitely sold on it!
I watched the fans on the 5*91 p/t tune switch from low to high in Torque Pro....all the while having them switched on high speed during the pull-pretty frickin awesome.
When the truck got warm the fans quickly cooled things down!
The Bad454SS Mode worked flawlessly-big ups to you!
We need a thorough write up with parts ! Good stuff!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DNA DAN.....this setup works! It will drop temps down way faster than fans cycling back and forth from low to high. Continuous high speed fan while towing my TT and I also got 10.1mpg's in conjunction with the 3" Downpipe & Turbo adapters. Truck has a deeper tone...in fact inside the cab you can hear a very very slight drone....wasnt their before-no worries when pulling 9k dry 38', (umm after filling up MORE CARGO to said trailer for the ultimate camping experience)...probanly closer to 9.5-10k).
Bad454SS had a genius idea due to his Supercharged Rousch Raptor getting hot.
Buy Ford OEM Male Fan Pigtails. Make a harness after installing on/off switch inside drivers side cab. Run wires from switch through engine compartment, slice into a 10amp in line fuse to a 65-70amp in line fuse that plugs into factory fans.....zip tie unhooked factory fan plugs ( out of the way of fans)
BAM-it really works!!
I had everything ready under the hood for Shawn. He had the harness built and actually installed that bad boy for me!!
GREAT GUY.
PM him....he would probably build harness and send it to you? Cost would be what parts he needs to build, but he is VERY BUSY-sorry Shawn!>lol
This WILL HELP.

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Well there you go!
Only took one fella hinting and another fella asking and WHALAH!

Perfect!

Thanks

·
Registered
963 Posts
THANKS! What I don't get though is if this is a complete override of the PCM driven fan? How does the PCM still control the fans?

(and thanks for the backup there pardner.)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, but the PCM doesn't know any different. It triggers the fans based on coolant/transmission temperature.
I was watching the fans in Torque Pro...even though the stock fans were disconnected I could see the indicator show that the stock fans would be on low or high depending where the truck temps stood- than shut off. The whole time having the fans singing on high speed (2).
(1=low/2=high) When I manual switch the fans I cannot see them monitored in Torque Pro because well the OEM fans are unplugged.
But again....Torque Pro would still get triggered by the PCM when the tune decided to turn the fans on again based on truck temps.
So let's say I initially start my truck and leave the fan switch off. I ALWAYS have my Torque Pro Monitor (err S9+) on and will notice the fan indicator change when I'm in manual mode even though I didn't activate it. Than I glance at the temp gauge notice the PCM wants more fan-I than flip the switch- pretty slick!
Now when I'm not towing I just unplug the manual switch setup and plug the OEM back in-BAM!
I'm probably repeating myself?-lol

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
THANKS! What I don't get though is if this is a complete override of the PCM driven fan? How does the PCM still control the fans?

(and thanks for the backup there pardner.)
My guess is there is a diode that isolates the PCM. That way when the switch is activated, voltage can’t travel back up the wire to the PCM, but when the PCM tries to trigger the fan voltage can travel to the relay

Either that or you just have a second set of relays to trigger than fan, either set can power it or both at the same time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It is a complete separate wired Relay ,fuse wire and switch . Unplug factory wired plugs to fans . Plug in new connectors wired to its own relay /fuse /switch system .Mike has my old set up i ran last Summer . I have since modified mine over last winter . For this summer i have one fan wired with KEY on . Other fan wired to a upfitter switch i control and another up fitter switch is wired to my intercooler and trans cooler fans. I did have all fans wired with to one upfitter switch last year and it would sound like a jet engine on take off. Now i can control things better, so far around town its been happy with one fan running and intercooler fans. We will see when it gets to 115 deg this summer. This completely separates Fans from computer controlling them. I only run this in the summertime . When it cools back down winter . I unplug manual control fans and plug back in the oem plugs and let computer control it. I remember the day installing it on Mikes truck it was the coldest and rainiest Damn Day in Arizona in a long time LOL

·
Registered
411 Posts
This set-up gives Mike maximum cooling from get go during his towing excursion instead of computer screwing with fans turning on hi or low or off. If his coolant gets hot now this summer he is going to have to get a bigger radiator . Full Race has a nice one . He already has maximum airflow now. Another benefit is maximum cooling from A/C vents I have 39 degrees coming out of far drivers side vent when it was 120 outside , before doing the manual fans , the summer before it would always be at 50 deg out of vent.

Over last winter i revamped the entire cooling system on the Raptor . Ron Davis radiator , new hoses , thermostat . Engine water pump . Intercooler heat exchanger and intercooler water pump. New Motorcraft engine fans. Bet you all did'nt know one fan is larger than the other on the OEM fan assembly. One blade is larger by 1/2 inch or so in diameter. I didn't know either til i took it apart.

PM me i can you help you out if you need what parts i iused or explain it , i am very busy most times , 80 work weeks . have to keep buying MODS. Just ordered this chase rack with wheels and tires . :)

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

@ Meaz - So you've ran the high speed on the fan for a significant amount of time? Any blown fuse or fan melting itself? When I had it out of the vehicle it sure didn't look very heavy duty.

Also, the wiring digrams for 2012 show that the Raptor uses a 50 amp fuse instead of the 40 amp in the Max tow for the high speed setting. From what I can tell the fans are the same, but why would they do this? Does the Raptor run it's fan at high speed more?

I was planning on using the method laid out by user "Abendage" here: https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/17-f150-ecoboost-towing/71506-still-running-hot-when-towing-11.html#post1169329 which cuts into the feed wires for the relays and grounds them out. This allows the user manual contol, or flip the switch and it's PCM controlled. I'd rather not have to connect and disconnect the fans everytime I want manual control. That user only posted 5 times and hasn't been back, so I'm a little concerned that his truck exploded and he drove off a cliff. (just kidding of course.) See any issues doing it this way? He said it worked for him without issue.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DNA DAN, as soon as I hooked up the trailer; loaded all the unnecessary additional cargo (wifes stuff-lol), 3 dogs, myself of course> wait stopped at Walmart for more stuff......I flipped the switch and approximately 2hrs later (@60-65mph) arrived at campgrounds>no melting wires or blown fuses-worked flawlessly.
Shawn is an engineer....soooo that cat knows what he's doing. I trust him with my truck anyday!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
5 Participants
mass-hole
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing