F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 F-150, SuperCab, 3:31 E-Lock (couldn't get the 3:55), w/Reese slider, pulling older 27.5ft 5th wheel w/no slides. :) Took short trip to campout. Weighed everything on the way. Truck empty w/full tank is 6100lb. Truck fully loaded w/5er, both of us and "stuff" = 7780lb. Trailer axles weighed 5640lb. Total rig weighed 13,420lb. (88% of max GCWR) fully loaded w/water, bikes, chairs, etc. Payload = 1680 (listed for 1660). Tires are at 81% of max. weight rating (am thinking of switching to LT E-rated for extra safety margin). Truck didn't even know it was back there!! Take off, stopping, handling was just great. Didn't need the slider, but it was close getting into camp spot, I'm glad I sprung for it anyway. The new truck is so much easier to get into/out for both of us "Seniors", especially for my wife. Very quiet, plenty of power and stopping was really good. The truck and trailer were both level and ride didn't feel spongy at all. Truck squatted about 1.75 inches and I don't have any mods to suspension. I'm about 8% over the GVWR when fully loaded, but I think there is plenty of margin and I only tow about 2500 miles/year. I think switching to LT E-rated tires will actually raise the GVWR anyway. Empty, it handles so well I can't believe its a truck. I put a Bak-Flip cover on it and that is just great. The little kick steps on the side already have been used a lot. I calc. the trailer is about 6800 (80% of trailer axle rates) when fully loaded and we really don't take a lot of stuff. The book says it is 5650, empty. If you are thinking of a trailer, be sure to allow for significant difference between "dry weight" vs your actual weight once all your junk is in there. We love the truck.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sounds like you are a "Happy Camper". I am glad it all worked out and the weights look pretty good.

SPPD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, SPPD. No big hills on this run, but it didn't even notice the ones it came across. No laboring to get up to speed, etc. Do you know if switching to LT E-rated rubber will actually increase my "pay load" numbers? Also, am getting 18-19mpg with mostly local driving so far. One short Freeway run hit 22mpg. Didn't check mileage when towing, but I didn't buy it for tow mpg anyway.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't think the LT-E tires will increase your pay load but, I do think they will make you truck more stalbe and allow less sway. I plan to replace my tires with LT-E's as soon as the factory Good years are closer to being worn out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Glad to hear that everything went smoothly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thanks, SPPD. No big hills on this run, but it didn't even notice the ones it came across. No laboring to get up to speed, etc. Do you know if switching to LT E-rated rubber will actually increase my "pay load" numbers? Also, am getting 18-19mpg with mostly local driving so far. One short Freeway run hit 22mpg. Didn't check mileage when towing, but I didn't buy it for tow mpg anyway.
The only thing that will really change your payload capacity is going to a spring shop and having them add a leaf.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Nothing will change your payload number in legal terms. That is set in stone from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the 3:31(s). I haven't hooked up to a 5th wheel trailer yet. I am happy to know that your truck did well. Did you take any pics of the setup? Do you have a short-bed or long-bed?

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Alvio, didn't yet. Am going camping again this weekend and will try to remember to get some Pics to post.

Reactions: alvio_ramon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, Alvio.... 2nd tow for camping went just a great. It is very level around here and it actually went into 6th gear while in Tow/Haul mode a few times, so I know it isn't working the truck very hard. ;) Here is a pic of the rig when we got into the site at Buck Creek St Pk. IMG_1930_small.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's a nice looking rig. Glad to hear that it pulls it well. My truck still impresses me when pulling my travel trailer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to hear all is well towing the 5er. Seen many ecobeasts at campgrounds towing 5ers , talked to the owners and all are very satisfied with the performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts