F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a trip to South Dakota pulling a 16' open trailer with two 1000 lbs motorcycles two people and the baggage for four adults on the way out. Coming back there was 4 motorcycles and 4 adults. Total miles from middle Tn. and back was 3042 miles, open road speeds were 70 to75, mostly on cruise. Trans. temp reached 206 one time, only for a second, mostly 199 to 203. Outside temp was mid. 90s. It felt like we were up hill, with a wind in our face both ways. Back home the truck and trailer weight with one person and 3 motorcycles was 10580 lbs. My best guess at the total weight on the return trip would be about 12200 lbs. With total miles divided by total gal. The average mpg was 10.7. I did'nt baby it, but I did'nt abuse it. I guess thats ok mileage. The truck had a little over 3000 miles at the start of the trip. Any thoughts on good, bad or indifferent. Oh by the way this was a 2013 XLT supercab EB, with 355 gears. I hope I got all the info. in.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
For how fast you were going that is great mpg

·
Registered
873 Posts
I agree. I would expect more around 12 if you were driving slower and I'm assuming, based on my limited time in tenn, flatter terrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 70-75 mph was mostly after we got into Missouri, and then on through Kansas,Nebraska,South Dakota. Although it was mostly interstate highways from Cookeville, so I tried to keep that speed as much as possible. But that was total miles and gal. through cities and construction, not just a flat 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would agree with others and say you did good with the speed (speed kills mileage), weight and wind breaks. I get just over 21 running 70 on interstate and I have 3.73 gears not towing anything. With my boat (4,000lbs) at 55-60 mph it hangs at 15mpg.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Made a trip to South Dakota pulling a 16' open trailer with two 1000 lbs motorcycles two people and the baggage for four adults on the way out. Coming back there was 4 motorcycles and 4 adults. Total miles from middle Tn. and back was 3042 miles, open road speeds were 70 to75, mostly on cruise. Trans. temp reached 206 one time, only for a second, mostly 199 to 203. Outside temp was mid. 90s. It felt like we were up hill, with a wind in our face both ways. Back home the truck and trailer weight with one person and 3 motorcycles was 10580 lbs. My best guess at the total weight on the return trip would be about 12200 lbs. With total miles divided by total gal. The average mpg was 10.7. I did'nt baby it, but I did'nt abuse it. I guess thats ok mileage. The truck had a little over 3000 miles at the start of the trip. Any thoughts on good, bad or indifferent. Oh by the way this was a 2013 XLT supercab EB, with 355 gears. I hope I got all the info. in.
Were you in tow & haul?
I'm having a transmission rebuild on my super duty diesel due to overdrive clutches slipping. Best guess is that I was towing on the highway and not in tow & haul. OD is not meant to be used while towing from what I was told by the transmission guys.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's interesting... I would think the super duty tranny would hold up better. What were you towing with the super duty? I'm assuming you towed it pretty often?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would be thrilled with 10 mpg with that much weight. My chevy temps get a lot higher than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was never in tow-haul, it would just drop a gear and pull, then level off and shift back, never back and forth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use the tow mode when you're pulling because the o/d isn't made for the strain. Where I live and work we have a Ford transmission plant. Whenever I talk to these guys I pick their brains about this stuff and I'll never tow in o/d again. I tow a 36' travel trailer with my 2013 F-150 SuperCrew w/ EcoBoost. I only had to do two thing to help the truck out. One was 10 ply tires and air bags on the rear suspension to help w/ the heavy tongue weight. Other than that it pulls just as good as my previous truck, a 2010 Super Duty w/ a hopped up 6.0 Powerstroke. When towing I was seeing 10 mpg average but thats not too shabby considering the weight and size of our camper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts