F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everybody! In a couple of hours I will be heading out on a trip. I'm hauling my 1956 Ford Customline to a parade/show in my Mother's home town. Every year her class has a reunion during this weekend (class of '62). I'm taking my Mother, my daughter (10), my girlfriend & her daughter (4) along for the trip.

Yesterday I loaded up the '56, along with everything except the suitcases. I'll get those loaded up in a little while. I'm ready to go. I did this same trip last year, but hauled the car with my 2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 5.3 liter. The GMC did ok. However, I'm stoked to make the trip in my Ecoboost!

I will post up some pics after the sun comes up, and I'll take some more pics along the way to my destination. It's 353 miles (one way) from my driveway to my Grandmother's driveway where we will be staying. The drive is actually pretty scenic for Texas. The best part is driving through the Caprock. It is a pretty big canyon (for Texas) with some awesome hills to descend, and climb during the trip so I'll get to see how well the Ecoboost will do.

Anyway, Good morning once again...and I'll post up some pictures soon!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Do you have an estimate on the total weight of the trailer loaded? You should no doubt be pleased with the EcoBeast towing your set up.

And yes, lots of pics of the towing set up and lots of pictures of the 56 Ford.

SPPD

·
Registered
859 Posts
Safe travels! Keep an eye on those trailer tires!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Three full size spares. One full size floor jack. One 65 quart Yeti cooler packed full.

One/third of the trip was in heavy rain.

Stopped in Henrietta to grab some coffee and check out the trailer to make sure all was good.

Kids needed to stop to use the bathroom.

Stopped in Seymour to top off the tank. Don't remember how much I put in, but had traveled about 175 miles so far.

Rest area near Benjamin for lunch break.

Made it to our destination in Amherst (353 miles traveled). Got the '56 unloaded and in the garage ready for the parade and show.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what my total weight is. '56 car title shows 4,200 lbs. I don't know the empty trailer weight off hand. It has two 3,500 lb. axles. The trunk of the '56 was packed with a tool box, spare, factory jack, and 5 suitcases.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That's a right smart looking car hauler you have there. The rest of the set up ain't too bad either. I just purchased a car hauler a couple of month ago myself, I like that rear loading area on yours. Makes for a good platform for also doing some under the vehicle maintance.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Totally awesome pictures! So how did it pull?

SPPD

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a right smart looking car hauler you have there. The rest of the set up ain't too bad either. I just purchased a car hauler a couple of month ago myself, I like that rear loading area on yours. Makes for a good platform for also doing some under the vehicle maintance.

Thanks! The split tail is a handy feature to have on a car hauler.

Totally awesome pictures! So how did it pull?

SPPD

Thanks! It pulled better than any half ton I've owned. Plenty of power. Speed limit was 75, I went 70 up/down the hills the entire trip except when the down town speed limits lowered. MPG wasn't great, but my truck only had 1,100 miles on it when I loaded up for this trip. If I would have driven slower I'm sure the mpg would have been better. I avg'd 8.7 mpg for this trip of 353 miles.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks! The split tail is a handy feature to have on a car hauler.

Thanks! It pulled better than any half ton I've owned. Plenty of power. Speed limit was 75, I went 70 up/down the hills the entire trip except when the down town speed limits lowered. MPG wasn't great, but my truck only had 1,100 miles on it when I loaded up for this trip. If I would have driven slower I'm sure the mpg would have been better. I avg'd 8.7 mpg for this trip of 353 miles.
For having hills, weight, and the speeds you were going that MPG sound great!

SPPD

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the trip home I averaged 10.9 mpg traveling 353 miles @ 70 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few cell phone pics of my '56 after the parade...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

1 - 13 of 13 Posts