F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum! I just bought a 2016 3.5L Platinum FX4 with 118,xxx. The truck is in amazing condition but for the sake of knowing what condition the fluids are in and where the vehicle stands in its maintenance cycle I am flushing all the fluids. (Not here to start a MC vs. Amsoil war LOL) I was just curious which fluids I need to keep at factory recommended. I know the Trans fluid needs to be MC MERCON LV... am I free to use my preference for diffs, transfer case, brake, power steering, and coolant?
In the owner's manual it lists 2 different requirements for the transfer case based on options "electronic shift on-the-fly" or "torque on demand" I have electronic shift on the fly with the 4-Auto setting, what would designate the torque on demand option??

·
Registered
955 Posts
You're right about trans fluid, t case will also be mercon LV. Someone else is going to have to chime in about diff fluid as I don't remember if locker vs non locker will be different.
You're going to have a tough time finding reservoir for the power steering, best just to skip it.

Coolant, just get the MC orange stuff. I believe MC sells a radiator flush concentrate, add that, drive around to agitate cooling system, drain, run hose in reservoir while draining, start truck, keep draining until water comes out clean,. Top off.
Edit.
T case fluid is different from regular one, and you have no power steering fluid.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
I think Ford has gone back and forth on both differential viscosity. Some mechanics have mentioned that can be interpreted as not-to-panic if you had one instead of the other.

75-90 VS 75-140

Reactions: JWoodford

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mine: Mercon LV in the Transmission with the Dorman pan w/drain plug. Redline D4 in the transfer case (no 4A in mine). Motorcraft 75w140 in the rear differential to replace the 75w90 OEM fluid.

I haven't changed the coolant yet, but Ford is no longer selling the orange coolant and recommends their new Yellow Coolant (not gold from <2011) as both top up and replacement fluid.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
With my 13 I still get the coolant, trans, T-case, diff oils from the dealer. I do the change myself, just go to the parts department in person.. I do my own thing on the engine oil, but that's just me... I use a MC oil filter and MC spark plugs too.

With a used rig with over 100k on it, i'd be changing all the fluids just so you have a baseline to go with and go from there.

Good luck! Mitch

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,840 Posts
Mine: Mercon LV in the Transmission with the Dorman pan w/drain plug. Redline D4 in the transfer case (no 4A in mine). Motorcraft 75w140 in the rear differential to replace the 75w90 OEM fluid.

I haven't changed the coolant yet, but Ford is no longer selling the orange coolant and recommends their new Yellow Coolant (not gold from <2011) as both top up and replacement fluid.
Why would you rather have the 75w140 in your cold climate ?

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I am running Supertech in my diffs, mercon LV in my trans and t-case.

I am thinking about going with Valvoline Maxlife ATF next time I do the trans/tcase. I run it in my Lexus GX transmission as well as the power steering in my 4Runner. The power steering pump seems to be really happy with it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Why would you rather have the 75w140 in your cold climate ?
because our summer temperatures are 75-100f and that's when I tow. 75w140 has been the spec for ford's 9.75 axle for the last 20 years and then all of a sudden it's 75w90 for 2015+. It has to do with fuel consumption EPA ratings where a lighter oil helps, not for what is best for the axle.

Reactions: JWoodford

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
That wouldn't surprise me a bit.

The alter of fuel efficiency is where you find so many decisions made these days.

BMS-alternator-disable Auto-StopStart Multi-pressure-oil-pump 5w-20 3.5Ecoboost factory recommendation........

Why wouldn't you be correct?

·
Registered
6,763 Posts

I haven't changed the coolant yet, but Ford is no longer selling the orange coolant and recommends their new Yellow Coolant (not gold from QUOTE]
The orange coolant is just Dexcool so you can find it at most auto parts stores

1 - 10 of 10 Posts