F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 FX4 has sputter type sound only under full throttle (at 27 sec, 39 sec and 1:04 in the video). Does not make the noise in park so I'm assuming it's turbo related. Appears the passenger side mirror is amplifying the sound. It's extremely loud when next to wall or another vehicle. Anyone else ever have this kind of issue and know what causes it? Dealer did smoke test and can't seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Does it "squeal" when accelerating in 1st or 2nd?

Does it doe it more when the engine is cold?

If so, you have a warped manifold. Common problem.

If you are "out-of-warranty" talk to Jerry at Tofosis Performance (Has a forum in the Sponsor Forum). They make ported, ceramic coated manifolds that should reduce this problem (caused by too few bolts by Ford).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it "squeal" when accelerating in 1st or 2nd?

Does it doe it more when the engine is cold?

If so, you have a warped manifold. Common problem.

If you are "out-of-warranty" talk to Jerry at Tofosis Performance (Has a forum in the Sponsor Forum). They make ported, ceramic coated manifolds that should reduce this problem (caused by too few bolts by Ford).
Would a smoke test determine if it's a warped manifold?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Would a smoke test determine if it's a warped manifold?

It would be harder to diagnose with a warm engine. As the engine warms up and the dissimilar metals expand, the leak may sort of seal itself.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah this noise occurs when the vehicle is warm or cold and only under load.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Best way is to let the truck sit overnight. Then have someone else start the engine while you carefully listen. Open the hood and listen to the side making the sound and compare it to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just picked back up from the dealer. New passenger side turbo because they thought it was the Watergate not closing(related to a service bulletin) and creating the fluttering noise.

Driving home it appears the noise is still there. Can't tell if it's quieter because they've had it so long I can't remember. ?. Really don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I would say it sounds like an exhaust leak... I wouldn't call it a fluttering noise from what I hear.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's an exhaust leak.

I have the same problem at the moment. Ive got a leak at the flange between the passenger side turbine housing and the down pipe.

For me it was really noticeable for the first 15-20sec on cold startup or under low RPM high load driving.

I was actually able to feel the leak by remote starting the truck in the morning while sitting next to the passenger side tire. You could hear it right away and i was able to stick my hand into the wheel well right over the turbo and feel the pulsing exhaust gas from the flange.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The exhaust manifold had been the first thing they checked. Smoke tested it and said it was good. Just took it back today so I'll let everyone know if they find it.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The exhaust manifold had been the first thing they checked. Smoke tested it and said it was good. Just took it back today so I'll let everyone know if they find it.
Did they check it when the engine was cold, or when it was heat soaked, and was it making the noise while they were checking it. To me, it really sounds like an exhaust leak up front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts