F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's winter, so I never noticed it before till I rolled down the windows yesterday. It might be normal, but my mind is telling me that the truck doesn't seem to building as much boost as normal - don't get that thrown in the back of your seat feeling. It's hard to make out, but it's like this fluttering whoosh noise, or like a card in bike spoke going really fast (I say tire and a spoke in the video, lol). It's only coming from the passenger side. Any Ideas? It happens when going from light throttle to load (anything over 1/2 throttle).

In this one, I'm next to a concrete wall which enhances the noise.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I think 2 things are going on- something is either going on with the passenger turbo, or the wastegate, and it sounds like the BOV is stuck open while in throttle. I hear the whistle of the turbo's, but I also hear just whoooshing of air. Low speeds with high boost is when its most noticeable.

Bump.

Here's a third vid, little more discernable.

· Registered
23 Posts
BOV is on the driver side, but it is hard to pinpoint a noise in the engine compartment from the cab.
With mine being a 2011, I have the BOV integrated into the Turbos, so a little different setup than yours and the OPs, I just wanted to check to see if he was able to confirm that's what it is? I've heard several people say it's normal, and others say it could be a torn diaphragm in the stock BOV, so just trying to figure this one out.
The truck runs great otherwise

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had a chance to fully diagnose it- some suggest it's normal. When all this ice and snow melts off, I'm going to check out the BoV and see if it has a tear in the diaphragm, or if the waste-gate is stuck open. It runs okay, but I feel like it doesn't get as much boost as it should be. Sometimes I hear boost, sometimes I don't. Depends on engine speed, load, rpm... etc.

· Registered
169 Posts
OP, my truck does this and no it is NOT normal. It only does it in a high load low rpm situation where the boost is high. Im no expert but I think its the wastegates or one of the wastegates opening and closing rapidly allowing the boost to drop. Its either a problem with the wastegate or the stock wastegate simply can't hold the extra pressure being demanded from the tune.

· Registered
340 Posts
I haven't had a chance to fully diagnose it- some suggest it's normal. When all this ice and snow melts off, I'm going to check out the BoV and see if it has a tear in the diaphragm, or if the waste-gate is stuck open. It runs okay, but I feel like it doesn't get as much boost as it should be. Sometimes I hear boost, sometimes I don't. Depends on engine speed, load, rpm... etc.
You will get less boost In winter. The ECU wants to keep the air to fuel ratio constant. Cold air is more dense than warm. So the denser air needs more fuel to maintain AFR. The ecu will only deliver so much fuel, it won't run itself to the max duty cycle for reliability reasons and risk of suddenly going very lean. The ecu will sacrifice power to stay extra safe.

If it runs fine and smooth, just seems down on power, leave it until it warms up again. If it's still acting funny get it logged.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP, my truck does this and no it is NOT normal. It only does it in a high load low rpm situation where the boost is high. Im no expert but I think its the wastegates or one of the wastegates opening and closing rapidly allowing the boost to drop. Its either a problem with the wastegate or the stock wastegate simply can't hold the extra pressure being demanded from the tune.
You will get less boost In winter. The ECU wants to keep the air to fuel ratio constant. Cold air is more dense than warm. So the denser air needs more fuel to maintain AFR. The ecu will only deliver so much fuel, it won't run itself to the max duty cycle for reliability reasons and risk of suddenly going very lean. The ecu will sacrifice power to stay extra safe.

If it runs fine and smooth, just seems down on power, leave it until it warms up again. If it's still acting funny get it logged.
I don't have a tune; completely stock. I bought the truck in the winter, so I don't know the characteristics of it in warm weather. That said, the truck is at running temp in all examples above. The power delivery is smooth, no stuttering or anything - the noise just is present, and it seems to be creating less boost than what my memory tells it had when I first purchased it. But, it could be that I just got used to the turbo-torque pull. I came from a '99 suburban lifted on 35's with the Vortec 350... so it was a very noticeable change at the beginning.

· Registered
340 Posts
I don't have a tune; completely stock. I bought the truck in the winter, so I don't know the characteristics of it in warm weather. That said, the truck is at running temp in all examples above. The power delivery is smooth, no stuttering or anything - the noise just is present, and it seems to be creating less boost than what my memory tells it had when I first purchased it. But, it could be that I just got used to the turbo-torque pull. I came from a '99 suburban lifted on 35's with the Vortec 350... so it was a very noticeable change at the beginning.
The cold air and running less boost has nothing to do with tune. Even a tune keeps AFR steady just with more fuel and boost. Even with temps up to normal operating, cold intake air is still much colder(denser) in winter. Engine temp means nothing. It will run less boost in the cold temps. It's physics.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cold air and running less boost has nothing to do with tune. Even a tune keeps AFR steady just with more fuel and boost. Even with temps up to normal operating, cold intake air is still much colder(denser) in winter. Engine temp means nothing. It will run less boost in the cold temps. It's physics.
Just to clarify, I'm not arguing with you. Just giving you details of the situation. That said I am not implying one way or the other there is something wrong, as I stated it could just be something I am not used to. To make sure I understand you, you are stating you do not believe there is any issue?

Thanks,

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,605 Posts
Sounds like mine did a few weeks ago. I have a 2013, I had a hole in the blowoff valve. As soon as I would built boost, it would sound like a vacuum running and getting 1/2 the normal boost.
I too have a 2013 and also found a tear in my bov a few weeks ago. Weird, this is literally the 4th 2013 I've heard about with a bad BOV within the last month or so.

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,605 Posts
Maybe they designed them to last 4 years ??.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Possibly... But I think they'd make it so it'd last until warranty is up like the rest of the stuff lol

More likely though maybe a batch of old rubber material

· Registered
311 Posts
My truck makes this noise under similar conditions, especially at full throttle. Sounds like a wet fart. I think it is because the turbo is in full boost (no whistle through wastegate) and you are cramming all that exhaust out of the engine (hence the wet fart). Cold or warm weather I have noticed this and I think it is normal.

I have also noticed inconsistency in the winter with boost while the engine is cold and warming up. Cold damp weather seems to affect boost and acceleration but only when tuned. This is hardly noticeable when running stock calibration. I haven't figured out what causes this. The sound is different than your video, hard to describe other than a swooshing sound like the turbo pressure is dumping off.

My truck is a 2013 also. Going to check the BOV based on some of the comments. If anyone has a good YouTube video on how to check and service that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
181 Posts
"The sound is different than your video, hard to describe other than a swooshing sound like the turbo pressure is dumping off."

That sounds very like what mine is doing. I did a temporary VTA mod to check the BOV and that seemed fine. I have a weak theory that the throttle plate is closing too far and the sound is air forcing its way through a smaller opening. I haven't figured out a way to test or correct it yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts