F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK haven't messed with the truck in a couple days since I changed the oil and it still had the clicking noise. But now just cranked if to move it and I did the dry crank for the oil pressure and let it go for 8 to 10 sec and the oil pressure gage still didn't move so I let off the gas and started it. And to my surprise it started without the noise so I drove it around the block and the noise came back. It's on the passenger side and I am going to load a video of the noise. But it has some power but something is not right. And the check engine light is on just wondering is there anything the ecu could do to cause this. And what is up with no pressure on the gage. So anyways any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Hope yall had and are having a great Thanksgiving. 馃憤

Registered
You won鈥檛 get much pressure until the truck starts up. However, if you do the Flood mode 3-4 times, it will build just enough pressure and move the gauge.

Hmmmm I would read the code. It may point to the stretch timing chain. VCT knock is also a possibility.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won鈥檛 get much pressure until the truck starts up. However, if you do the Flood mode 3-4 times, it will build just enough pressure and move the gauge.

Hmmmm I would read the code. It may point to the stretch timing chain. VCT knock is also a possibility.
So its normal for the oil gage to not move any until I let it start. I am new to this type of motor and by no means a mechanic on the other but am very good at figuring things out and learn very quick. But while learning I thought I seen a video about the foot on gas until you see oil pressure then take your foot off and let it crank. See I had the oil pressure fall to 0 and back up a few times but it hasn't done that last times I've drove. Anyways I have a friend that owes some favors who has his own mechanics shop but has told me he doesn't know anything about a ecoboost. But he has a code reader and that's a start. I was against a ecoboost but seems like it's got some power when running right but not sure of the dependability.

Registered
So its normal for the oil gage to not move any until I let it start. I am new to this type of motor and by no means a mechanic on the other but am very good at figuring things out and learn very quick. But while learning I thought I seen a video about the foot on gas until you see oil pressure then take your foot off and let it crank. See I had the oil pressure fall to 0 and back up a few times but it hasn't done that last times I've drove. Anyways I have a friend that owes some favors who has his own mechanics shop but has told me he doesn't know anything about a ecoboost. But he has a code reader and that's a start. I was against a ecoboost but seems like it's got some power when running right but not sure of the dependability.
Correct, the gauge won鈥檛 really move until the engine is running. You don't have to do it until the gauge moves. Even just one starter timeout is plenty. That鈥檚 what I do on cold mornings or long cold soaks.

These ecoboosts make a buttload of torque even just running 87. It鈥檚 a truly impressive platform. Once you read the codes, it will point you in the right direction.

Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
If you were looking at a video that is reading the REAL oil pressure from the ODB port, then you do see oil pressure build as you are cranking the motor over.
But the dash oil pressure gauge is fake. It isn't measuring or indicating oil pressure, rather it is a gauge that has a prefixed "fake" value and is really only indicating that the sensor read 7 lbs of pressure. Or put another way, if the oil pressure reaches 7lbs or more, the dash gauge is programmed to display oil pressure.
I don't know if the pcm requires the motor to be in a running state before it signals the dash gauge to come on.

This video is for a Gen2 and may not be exactly like a Gen1, but from what I know the dash gauge is just as fake and the sensor is a 7psi sensor as well. But you can watch the ODB oil pressure value actually indicate oil pressure build during the "coldstart pre-oiling routine"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts